Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reinforcing large monsters. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
So I just wrapped up Death on the Wing last night and right away in encounter 2 the heroes wiped out my elementals. So when it came around to my first turn as overlord, I wanted to place a new elemental on the entrance tile. Unfortunately one of the heroes was still on the entrance tile, so I didn't have 4 spaces to legally place the element on the entrance tile. When reinforcing large monsters, can they be 'blocked' by the heroes by standing on the the reinforcement location? or do I just put the monster in the closest legal location?

Since I wasn't sure I just ruled in favor of the heroes, because the fun of four outweighs the fun of one. But I just wanted to check in case this comes up again in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gspeager wrote:
So I just wrapped up Death on the Wing last night and right away in encounter 2 the heroes wiped out my elementals. So when it came around to my first turn as overlord, I wanted to place a new elemental on the entrance tile. Unfortunately one of the heroes was still on the entrance tile, so I didn't have 4 spaces to legally place the element on the entrance tile. When reinforcing large monsters, can they be 'blocked' by the heroes by standing on the the reinforcement location? or do I just put the monster in the closest legal location?

Since I wasn't sure I just ruled in favor of the heroes, because the fun of four outweighs the fun of one. But I just wanted to check in case this comes up again in the future.

If there is not enough room to place a reinforcing monster it is placed in the nearest space with enough room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule is at the beginning of the Quest Book:

Quote:
Reinforcements
The reinforcements section explains how the overlord
receives reinforcements (additional monsters). Unless
speCifically noted otherwise, the overlord can never add a
monster to the map in excess of the monster group limit
(size and composition allowed by the number ofhetoes
listed on the back ofthat Monster card). In many cases,
this means that the overlord cannot bring new monsters
onto the map until the heroes have defeated at least
one. This is referred to as "respecting group limits." If a
reinforcing monster cannot be placed as indicated in this
section because the tile is full, the monster is placed in
the closest empty space(s) instead.

emphasis added

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Perfect! Thank you so much! I've been going over the rule books and the FAQ again this morning, but didn't have access to my quest book. I appreciate you clarifying that for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nunes
Canada
flag msg tools
What about a situation where the overlord has two available reinforcement points? Are they forced to put their monsters in a second reinforcement point if the first is blocked, or can they still take the closest available tile on the blocked side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are more possible places with the same distance to the nearest normal respawn point, OL decides where he wants to have the monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McFadden

Lansing
Michigan
msg tools
mbmb
bananaboy32 wrote:
What about a situation where the overlord has two available reinforcement points? Are they forced to put their monsters in a second reinforcement point if the first is blocked, or can they still take the closest available tile on the blocked side?

Did you ever figure this out? If there's two entrance tiles the OL can use, and one is blocked, does he HAVE to use the unblocked one or can he choose to use the blocked one and place the monster using the near available space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls