Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm. Well, it wasn't on my 'watch' list, but...that does sound like the type of thing that should be encouraged as a direction for movies to go in...

(Although, to read the intro description at the Federalist link provided, they make it sound like a CGI sequel to The Fountainhead...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Think the Director said it best when he tweeted "Art deserves many interpretations, even wrong ones".

I enjoyed this movie a lot. The lyrics of the Batman song were hilarious. Also, it did take the piss out of Starbucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
tmcvey wrote:
Think the Director said it best when he tweeted "Art deserves many interpretations, even wrong ones".

That's got to be the blandest comment ever.

Maybe he was afraid of being moderated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
tmcvey wrote:

Sorry I didn't give you any ammo for an argument. How about this:

This movie, although superficially critical of our current economic system, is indicative of the further move towards away from a mass-production and consumer society, to modes of post-Fordist production and consumption, and the breakdown of a shared culture according to agreed modes of discourse, into an atomistic one where individuals, in their identity as consumers are ceded the limited creativity to select their individual consumption but at the cost of certain modes of solidarity as producers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this movie actually decent? It looked frankly horrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
tmcvey wrote:

This movie, although superficially critical of our current economic system, is indicative of the further move towards away from a mass-production and consumer society, to modes of post-Fordist production and consumption, and the breakdown of a shared culture according to agreed modes of discourse, into an atomistic one where individuals, in their identity as consumers are ceded the limited creativity to select their individual consumption but at the cost of certain modes of solidarity as producers?

Fer fuck's sake! You win, you win!!! I'll trade you Julianne Moore and the tub of jello and you can keep your Traci Lords... just please stop with this sort of brain-melting commentary! It burns my eyes and makes me feel trapped and fearful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
tmcvey wrote:

Why do you hate liberty? soblue

Well, I could also write something like:

"Emmett, representing the everyperson, understands that the strength of the economy lies not in the statis of a command-and-control economy ruled by a bureaucratic elite, but the Schumpetian creative destruction that capitalism and its decentralized distribution of control and information enables. The master builders, representing the self-styled progressive creative elites, are shown to be unable to cohere together to act; only Emmett, representing the consumer as sovereign, can reconcile the tension between change and statis required in the post-modern economy."

....but Tripp is upset enough already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:

I went and saw it with my kids. I loved it. It was fun, witty, and neat seeing all the stuff made from Legos. The twist toward the end was a surprise. It was also a toal nostalgia bomb for me, especially the 80s space stuff. Plus it was pretty fun spotting characters from old kits and figures from the last three minifig series.

That being said, my older brother thought it was the stupidest movie ever, so YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sixteen year old wants to go see this. Fortunately, so does my wife and he is off school next Monday and Tuesday..... Could work out well for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Fer fuck's sake! You win, you win!!! I'll trade you Julianne Moore and the tub of jello and you can keep your Traci Lords... just please stop with this sort of brain-melting commentary! It burns my eyes and makes me feel trapped and fearful.

I seem to have been missing out by never paying attention to the trading scene here.

Jello, though, not pudding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I seem to have been missing out by never paying attention to the trading scene here.

See this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1120309/the-best-test-ca... for context.

Quote:
Jello, though, not pudding?

Pudding? Instead of jello? What are you, some kind of deviant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:

I didn't watch it but my 11 year old came home from it and said, when this comes out on Blu-ray we have to buy it and watch it every day...best movie ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just came back from watching it with the family. It's a pretty good movie. The best part is seeing all the LEGO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thumbs up vote!

It looks like disposable pop junk, but it's really a commentary on disposable pop junk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karadek wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:

I went and saw it with my kids. I loved it. It was fun, witty, and neat seeing all the stuff made from Legos. The twist toward the end was a surprise. It was also a toal nostalgia bomb for me, especially the 80s space stuff. Plus it was pretty fun spotting characters from old kits and figures from the last three minifig series.

That being said, my older brother thought it was the stupidest movie ever, so YMMV.

The 80's space guy was the best. I remember my own space guy with the planet on his front becoming faded, and cracking the helmet.

It did make me want to head to the Lego store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've had this BGG Avatar for about six months.

I just saw the movie today, and you can guess it really spoke to the seven year old in me.
SPAAACESHIP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Release the KRAGLE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how the licensing works for all the intellectual properties of other companies? When they got into an arrangement with Lego for physical playsets, was movie rights included or did companies like D.C. negotiate a piece of this movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't impressed, but my "kids" (16 and 22 liked it).

There were some funny parts and I liked the message
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Lego pieces are to play with, not to build models.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the message my family, especially my wife took from it. All in all, I'd have been happier to save the $5 and two hours and have just heard about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Alaren wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:

It's pretty funny, and easy to watch. My kids enjoyed it a lot, though one of them is such a Lego fan that he would have enjoyed it regardless. I really liked the stop-motion Lego short films that occasionally cropped up in the 1980s and this was in some ways a long version of those.

The critic in me suspects that the nostalgia factor made me more forgiving of the movie's flaws than I would otherwise have been, but while it's not The Shawshank Redemption it is not a bad film by any stretch.

I do find it amusing that the Lego stores still sell minifig "magnets" that have been super-glued to their bases. They didn't used to super-glue them but people would buy the magnet sets on sale instead of buying minifigs... Lord Business apparently won his fight at Lego HQ.

But, come on--Wolkenkuckucksheim!

Just saw it yesterday, and that alone made it worth seeing. Particularly given that being in Cloud-Cuckoo-Land is supposed to mean that you're deluded into thinking that everything is awesome, the anthem of the place from which CCL is an escape! There's some heavy stuff going on there. I rather hope it was an intentional statement that the only escape from the delusions of modern life is another delusion. I'm almost willing to believe it was (Phil Lord and Chris Miller are Dartmouth grads, after all, and may well have developed a degree of skepticism about the ideology of escaping the frivolous occupations of modern life out in the mountains of New Hampshire).

Probably I'm reading too much into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

Probably I'm reading too much into it.

I'm a big fan of reading too much into things. It's one of the few ways we can escape the delusion of modern life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |