Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Twenty Sided Store tournament this month got delayed by a week due to some M:TG event. Between that and the bad weather, the turnout was low again. Only 9 runners showed up, and we played 3 rounds of swiss. That being said, the people who did show up were pretty much all top players. It was all regulars throwing down. There were no amateurs to beat up on for easy prestige. This was the real deal.

I went into the tournament with almost the same decks as last time. My NBN deck went unchanged. My Kate deck was slightly modified based on what stiknork did with it. Thanks stiknork! I replaced my Crypses with Atmans, and took out Maker's Eye and a Professional Contacts in order to put in 3 Daily Casts for more money.

Round 1

In round 1 I went up against Chris H.. At this point I've probably played against him more than anyone else. Historically he has always been better than me. The one time I came in second with Darwin, he came in first. When I won, he didn't even show up. He's also the player who saw in that really long live stream video I made, among others. We randomly got paired in round 1... I guess I should say something about the devil you know vs. the one you don't.

In game 1 I ran and he corped his NBN. His is very similar to mine, but but not exactly the same. I have a video of it, so you can see this game. It was the kind of game you knew was a really good game while you were playing it. It was slow, but it was by far the best game played all day. I fought tooth and nail to deny him any chance of SanSan/Astroscript. I made him rez as many ICE as possible to keep his economy down.

An early Indexing got me 3 points. After that there were lots of really great deceptions. I got fooled into wasting resources to run a remote with a Jackson Howard in it. I got fooled into wasting my Parasites on ICE walls and then losing my strength 1 Atman to a Rototurret. I should have made that Atman strength 0. I even saw the Rototurret during Indexing. In the end when I was about to lose, I pulled a Beale off R&D for the win.

Game 2 was a little pressed for time, but we finished. He ran the dreaded Vamp/Kit. Because of the rush, I made some poor ICE placements with code gates in the back. He denied my chances to SanSan with some vamps. I think I may have missed an opportunity or two to rez a SanSan before Vamp hit. I was mostly concentrating on holding my Beanstalks for Vamp recovery, since I couldn't protect HQ. Yeah, I didn't win this game.

Round 2

In round 2 I faced Tony. I think the last time we played was a few months ago at a Twenty Sided tournament. I played him at the final table, and just had to take one game to win. I lost both. I remember it clearly because I had a chance to win by using Atlas counters for Hostile Takeover, but I was too focused on scorching with my cleaners.

In the first game he played Jinteki. He installed a Fetal AI early, but I Infiltrated it. I managed to Index and steal some agendas. I think I also took an agenda from behind an Archer by making a strength 6 Atman. Eventually I got to 5 points, so then I built up for a turn, then went to take the un-advanced Fetal AI that I Infiltrated near the start of the game. GG.

In the second game he ran his professor against my NBN. I think I had a Gila Hands early, and was eventually able to push out an Astroscript. I chained another Astro off the first one. I was holding a Beale, not that he knew. But maybe he did, because he did the scariest possible thing. He installed a Nerve Agent on click one. I just about shit my pants and tried very hard not to make a face. He could easily run HQ 3 times. He did so. First run took my Character Assassination, OK. Second run saw two useless cards. Third run, he's going to draw 3 cards from a hand of 4. If he misses the Beale, I win. Yeah, he missed it. The gods of luck smiled upon me this day. If he had taken it, it may have been quite difficult to draw another one and score it before losing since I would have to also clear virus counters and/or defend HQ.

Round 3

I went into round 3 with 6 prestige. One other player also had 6, and I was facing IirionClaus, the only player with 8 prestige. I guess that means I need to win both games to win. It had been awhile since we played. I think the last time he hosed me with a crazy Cerebral Imaging Neural EMP deck. Since he was undefeated on the day, I was quite worried about what I was going to face.

In game 1 I ran, and it was brutal. I exposed an early Ronin and trashed it. I stayed away from running into any ICE until I was able to deal with them. When it was finally safe to run R&D, it was a Pop-Up Window. That tells me it's Indexing time. He made a mistake also of spending an entire turn drawing all the Indexed cards directly after an Indexing. R&D is no more protected than it was before. Same Old Thing Indexing. I think the only net damage I took was from agenda scoring.

In game 2 I played my usual NBN game with one major difference. His Reina was constantly Keyholing me in the face. He could have won, but he made one major mistake. He keyholed with his last click rather than running archives. The first round of Keyholing he said "I'll cry if you have Jackson Howard." I said "You're going to cry." He Keyholed again, not running archives, but I had a second Jackson. The next round of Keyholing put an AstroScript in the trash, which he again left there. I top decked the third Jackson after the Keyhole shuffle. Gods of luck smiled upon me again. Jesus Howard saved my game. Soon after I top decked another agenda, I think a Beale, FTW.

Takeaways

In terms of gameplay the big takeaways are that I need to stop making the same mistakes. I keep Indexing when Jackson is on the table even though I've made that mistake about 100 times already. Also, scoring an early Gila Hands is ridiculously strong, but I don't really want to take anything out to put more of them in the deck. I kind of want to take out one Closed Accounts and replace a Character Assassination with two more Gila Hands. I don't think I closed any accounts or assassinated any characters all day.

Also, I'm definitely going to take out my Professional Contacts and replace them a Kati Jones and a Sharpshooter. I don't want to have to make strength 6 Atmans just to get through an Archer a few times. I kept drawing ProCon all day, and never installed it. I drew a lot of cards, and it certainly would have given me a profit in the long-term. But at every opportunity I had to install it, the setback of losing 5 credits would have been a major setback and given the corp a big scoring window. With the speed of the game, I just don't have time for those contacts.

Meta

I have every game except the end of the last game on video. For some reason the camera stopped recording even though it had plenty of battery and storage. I'm getting a newer better camera in a month or two anyway. I'll get the videos posted at some point soon. Another local player wanted to commentate them with me, but I just realized I have no audio mixing equipment at my place. All the podcast stuff is at my co-hosts apartment. I guess I'll post these on my own. Tom, if you are reading this, we'll commentate store championships together.

This is the second tournament win for me ever, and also second in a row. Does this mean I'm good now? I felt like the last time I won was a fluke where the players better than me timed out in their final round. At least it's the first time I felt like I won legitimately. How does this affect my psychology going into store championships next weekend?

Deck Lists

Pair of Sights (45 cards)

Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker

Event (17)
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Indexing
2 Infiltration
2 Scavenge
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble
3 Test Run

Hardware (7)
3 Clone Chip
2 Grimoire ••••
2 Plascrete Carapace

Resource (8)
3 Daily Casts
2 Professional Contacts
3 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (4)
2 Atman
1 Deus X
1 Femme Fatale

Program (9)
3 Datasucker •••
3 Parasite ••••• •
3 Self-modifying Code

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

NBN TIME (49 cards)

NBN: Making News

Agenda (12)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
3 Breaking News
2 Character Assassination
1 Gila Hands Arcology
3 Project Beale

Asset (3)
3 Jackson Howard

Upgrade (5)
2 Bernice Mai
3 SanSan City Grid

Operation (12)
3 Beanstalk Royalties •••
3 Closed Accounts
3 Hedge Fund
3 Sweeps Week

Barrier (5)
3 Ice Wall •••
2 TMI

Code Gate (7)
3 Pop-up Window
1 RSVP
3 Viper •••

Sentry (5)
3 Caduceus ••••• •
2 Draco

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the games and the report

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes, thanks for the report and congrats on the win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
Run archives on your fourth click next time, Mr. Keyhole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apreche wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:
Run archives on your fourth click next time, Mr. Keyhole.

Many lessons learned. In my defense I will say that I haven't played in weeks AND I never installed Keyhole Excuses, excuses! Also, going the Wyldside route with Reina was a mistake, when you don't have the constant barrage of milling viruses it's not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So true. Reina needs that click to run and make the corp rez ICE. Don't waste it drawing more cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.