Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone looked into using the Drafting mechanism as a means to giving the armies a national character? Right now the game feels like two generic Ancients armies clashing, which I admit might well for Successor States conflicts and such. But I’d love to have this game also be able to fight as a Rome vs Carthage, or Rome vs Parthia, or…

What I was thinking is that a chosen army has some cards pre-drafted into their deck, and some specific cards pre-removed from the draft as well, and then the regular drafting occurs with the rest of the deck.

So, for example, a Roman deck might start with 5 Heavy Infantry drafted, and the 2 Elephants and 3 Pike cards removed. Now you’ll have an army guaranteed to have a lot of Hvy Inf, but will never have Pikes or Elephants.

A Parthian deck might have 4 Cav and 2 Light Cav pre-drafted, but has all 6 Hvy Inf removed. This would be a very different army than the Roman one above.

I think the base game as it is represents Carthage very well, with their brought spectrum of troop types.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you just do this on your own when you're drafting? Why do you need a rule? I've drafted a wide variety of armies just by drafting with purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's true that you can do this voluntarily (although there can be some situations where you have no choice; draw three Hvy Infantry in a four-card draw, you’ll have to take at least one of them) but to me the big appeal is both players know a bit about who they are facing. If I am going against a Roman army, I KNOW he’ll have a lot of Heavy Infantry. Facing Parthians, lots of Cav, both light and heavy. Plus I know I won’t be surprised with Roman Elephants...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a couple of suggestions in a thread someway back.

But essentially you could build a pre-game with alternative ways to construct 24 (or possibly not even so constrained) card armies. This could by restrictions when drafting, or something else entirely.

If I were going to do this, I'd probably start with FoG army lists (the figure game) and try constructing a couple of armies from cards to match. Then see if they worked in FoG card game. Then start thinking how you could get to that.

Or if rules to build that are too hard, design a couple of armies and then either play I cut you choose, or play each way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Originally the game was going to have specific armies. This did not work well in practice as many armies of the time were limited in the range of different unit types, making for some really dull conflicts.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls