Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this has been asked before, I apologize in advance, I casually looked for the answer but did not see anything. I was playing last night and it came up as to whether or not we had more than 1 priest could we place more than one priest back into the supply to go up multiple times on the cult track? Im thinking its just one priest per turn which is how we played, but I told the person who asked I would look into it.

When playing with the Giants, can a player take the Bonus tile with the free spade action and spend 3 additional workers to get the required number of spades to terraform?

Lastly, is it possible to get trapped building by other players? Im thinking this would be difficult to do with shipping actions, but in theory, if it were to happen somehow, does the person that got trapped not have the option to expand their city any longer?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
jurney85 wrote:
If this has been asked before, I apologize in advance, I casually looked for the answer but did not see anything. I was playing last night and it came up as to whether or not we had more than 1 priest could we place more than one priest back into the supply to go up multiple times on the cult track? Im thinking its just one priest per turn which is how we played, but I told the person who asked I would look into it.

Placing a priest is an action and taking actions is only limited by your current resources so in a single turn using several actions you could move up multiple times with multiple priests. You just cannot do it all in one action.

jurney85 wrote:

When playing with the Giants, can a player take the Bonus tile with the free spade action and spend 3 additional workers to get the required number of spades to terraform?

Yes

jurney85 wrote:

Lastly, is it possible to get trapped building by other players? Im thinking this would be difficult to do with shipping actions, but in theory, if it were to happen somehow, does the person that got trapped not have the option to expand their city any longer?
Absolutely. A big part of this game is balancing having neighbors so you can get power and have cheaper upgrades but at the same time securing space for yourself to expand. Especially in higher player counts you can find this to be a common occurrence if you are not careful.

Extra: Due to the nature of Giants the Giant player should actively be trying to sabotage other players without sabotaging himself in the process.

jurney85 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Your welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Amick
United States
Grand Island
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
"Yes, yes, I really am going to take that spot... Play your own game!"
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
I was playing last night and it came up as to whether or not we had more than 1 priest could we place more than one priest back into the supply to go up multiple times on the cult track? Im thinking its just one priest per turn which is how we played, but I told the person who asked I would look into it.

You may place one priest per action.

jurney85 wrote:

Yes, you can spend the additional cost for the spades needed.

jurney85 wrote:

Yes, it's entirely possible that you could be put into a position (even during the initial setup) that would prevent you from expanding your faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:
Quote:
As an Action, you may place one of your Priests on one such space to advance 3 or 2 spaces (as indicated on the space) on the corresponding Cult track.
So placing one priest is one action. To place two priests you need two actions.

Giants can use the free spade bonus tile action and add workers for more spades, as can anybody who want to terraform with more than one spade.

It is possible to get blocked in. Be careful.

Edit: Ninja'd twice! I need to type faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. What I was thinking was right, but I just wanted to confirm. I wasn't sure though if it was possible to get trapped or not, that is interesting. Im really enjoying this game and I am looking forward to getting better at it, Im sure an experienced player would throw up in anger the way I am playing right now but this game is incredible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only times you can't buy additional spades to go with free ones are:

- When they come from the cult bonus at the end of a round (which means Giants need two to get any benefit)

- When you terraform a hex to your home terrain with the free spade(s)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ron heuvel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Im a little curious about the "back into the supply" bit
As far as i understand(have played) the priest stays on the cult track, until the end of the game. Did we play this wrong ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heuveltje wrote:
As far as i understand(have played) the priest stays on the cult track, until the end of the game. Did we play this wrong ?
From the rules:
Quote:
If you do not want to lose a Priest, alternatively, return him to your supply (next to your Faction board) and only advance 1 space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heuveltje wrote:

There are two options when you send a Priest to the Cult Tracks:

1) Put it on an unoccupied numbered spot to advance the matching track 2 or 3 spaces
2) Return it to your reserves to advance one track 1 space

The former means you lose that priest for the rest of the game - reducing the maximum number of priests you can have at once; the latter allows you to get it back as income later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never knew that option 2) existed...
Don't know if it will change much for my play group but it might.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls