Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien Lehnardt
France
Benfeld
Alsace
flag msg tools
Hello,

I wonder if it would be possible to shorten a bit and make it lighter for newbies?
I mean we play amerigo, tzolkin, bora bora but maybe Madeira is 10% "too much".
So perhaps someone tried a few things to make it easier for new player... what do you think?
One less turn?
to forget some actions?
to avoid the pirate thing for a first play?
any idea is welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
FrenchCrusader wrote:
Hello,

I wonder if it would be possible to shorten a bit and make it lighter for newbies?
I mean we play amerigo, tzolkin, bora bora but maybe Madeira is 10% "too much".
So perhaps someone tried a few things to make it easier for new player... what do you think?
One less turn?
to forget some actions?
to avoid the pirate thing for a first play?
any idea is welcome!

You can play the game in three rounds instead of five rather easily--- this cuts short the full narrative-arc of the game, but allows for an experience will will take up only a fraction of the time of the full game. I have used this as a way of teaching the game to slow players at conventions, and it seems to work well enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you meant the first three rounds and not the last three? I once asked an experienced player if the game could be played by cutting out the last two rounds and he said no because of the crop changeover to sugar and wine. I'm encouraged by your response to try this for my first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Kyle
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also tried the 3 first turns only as a way to shorten the game and it works. The crop changeover wasn't a problem to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said-- there are aspects which are missing in the narrative when you only play with 3 rounds: end point scoring isn't as restrictive(you don't have to score exactly six of the goals you drafted), you don't see the full set of crop changes, and some colony/market spots never get to be worth a full six points. But it's certainly long enough to get a taste for the game.

Once you are experienced with the game I can't imagine wanting to play only 3 rounds on a regular basis, though--- it's definitely a teaching game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls