Arkham Horror: Kingsport Horror Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Closing rifts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gasper Sitar
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a question that is about closing rifts.

The rift is opened. You have an encounter on a location that is marked on one of 4 opened rift progress markers. So you turn the rift progress marker face down. But then, if on a Mythos phase monster movement pattern is the same again, is that face down marker turned face up again?

Thanks for the answer and have a lot of good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Luke Robinson, closing rifts
1. Luke begins with the "Gate Box" unique item as starting equipment; this allows him to choose any open gate to return to Arkham. In the (highly unlikely) case where all open gates have been closed, or Luke looses the gate box before returning, he can only return if there is a Dreamlands gate; otherwise he is Lost in Time and Space, as is normal for a character returning from an other world which has no open gate.

2. A new rift token is only placed if there is an open space on the rift track. There is no rule which makes you turn face down markers face up; once the fourth marker is turned face down the rift is closed, and the markers are returned to the draw pile.

edit- oops, looks like you figured out the Luke question while I was answering... I'll leave the answer up, in case anyone might benefit from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bern,

Just curious...why are you mentioning Luke?

Ayerton,

Yes, that's pretty bad luck, but if the marker is face down, and then the Mythos card opens it again, there's nothing in the rules which will have you turn it over ~ you get a pass.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Bern,

Just curious...why are you mentioning Luke?

The original post had two questions; I guess the poster solved one while I was answering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gasper Sitar
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a quick answer.

Yes, original post had 2 questions. One about how Luke returns to Arkham if there are no open gate to Dreamlands. Didn't know that he has a special card, that alowes him to return through any gate. But I found the answer in the meantime. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still remember the first time one of our players drew Luke, and how we spent time discussing how he could possibly work, deciding he was probably going to end up lost in time and space.

It wasn't until we passed out everyone's equipment that we realized we had wasted our time speculating, and that he was not a "dumb character to play".

I imagine most groups have the same experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
I still remember the first time one of our players drew Luke, and how we spent time discussing how he could possibly work, deciding he was probably going to end up lost in time and space.

It wasn't until we passed out everyone's equipment that we realized we had wasted our time speculating, and that he was not a "dumb character to play".

I imagine most groups have the same experience.

Luke isn't really bad at all. He has a high will, and with a decent weapon or fighting type spell, he can do marginally well as a monster killer; although, that low stamina is a definite drawback.

Even with an average Lore, he's a decent closer/sealer.

Where he really shines is in his special abiltiy. You can enter an OW with three clues and by the time he comes out, he can seal. I only saw this recently and played for three or four years without giving him a clue when he is Lost in Time and Space.

If he happens to get an encounter that sends him back to the first area of the OW, hey, another clue. Well, two, since he has go back into the second area again.

Occasionally, he'll start or another investigator will start with an Elder Sign. Auto seal!

He isn't optimal, by any means; but, he is servicable, and his clue-collection ability isn't quite as good as Rex; but, considering how many times he gets LinT&S, it's still quite good.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the rules this morning, and it doesn't say anything about flipping the token on the rift track back over. I've always done it, though, because it seems to make logical sense.

I think I'll keep it as a house rule, though, to make Kingsport tougher.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
I checked the rules this morning, and it doesn't say anything about flipping the token on the rift track back over. I've always done it, though, because it seems to make logical sense.

Brian
How about page 10 of the rulebook?
Quote:
Investigating and Closing Rifts
Each rift progress marker depicts a location in Kingsport where information about that rift may be found. If an investigator has an encounter at the depicted location, he has investigated that rift progress marker. If the rift associated with a rift progress marker is closed when a character investigates it, the rift progress marker is discarded back into the pile of rift progress markers, to be used again later. If the rift associated with the rift progress marker is open when a character investigates it, however, the rift progress marker is turned facedown. Once all four rift progress markers associated with an open rift have been turned facedown, the rift closes; the rift marker is returned to its Rift Track and the four rift progress markers are discarded to their pile. An investigator can only investigate one rift progress marker for each encounter he has in a given location, even if several rift progress markers show that location

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

Brian
Quote:
Each rift progress marker depicts a location in Kingsport where information about that rift may be found. If an investigator has an encounter at the depicted location, he has investigated that rift progress marker. If the rift associated with a rift progress marker is closed when a character investigates it, the rift progress marker is discarded back into the pile of rift progress markers, to be used again later. If the rift associated with the rift progress marker is open when a character investigates it, however, the rift progress marker is turned facedown. Once all four rift progress markers associated with an open rift have been turned facedown, the rift closes; the rift marker is returned to its Rift Track and the four rift progress markers are discarded to their pile. An investigator can only investigate one rift progress marker for each encounter he has in a given location, even if several rift progress markers show that location

That would refer to the initial flip face down, not to flipping tokens back over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Brian
Quote:

That would refer to the initial flip face down, not to flipping tokens back over.
Ah, right, my bad, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls