Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Thompson
United States
Thomson
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know anything about new expansions? I can't seem to find anything on their website. I was, thankfully, able to find the Romulan expansion for $40 last week, even though no one has it. I like the Borg player-designed expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was some confirmation a few months back from a wizkids person that they weren't finished with Fleet Captains. As to what exactly they meant I don't recall if it was stated. I'd be surprised if we didn't at least get a Dominion and/or Borg expansion for the game.

I also just recently picked up the Romulan expansion, but haven't had a chance to open it, let alone try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure there has been no solid news. Wizkids has almost certainly considered new expansions and may even have started development, but no announcements yet. EDIT: Charles beat me to the reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a copy of the Romulan expansion as well at Games Plus in Mount Prospect Il.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the closest thing to real information we have had lately can be found in a thread about a D&D game found in the X-wing forums: Coming Soon: Dragons.

(Geosphere has worked as a play tester on at least on the Romulan expansion, as well as an unannounced second expansion.)

Geosphere wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
and we'll never see another expansion for Star Trek: Fleet Captains

Playtesting on it finished well over a year ago. I don't think it will be coming.

Geosphere wrote:
quietcorn wrote:
Actually, they said recently that they aren't "done" with Fleet captains, whatever that turns out to mean.

I certainly put a lot of work into testing that next expansion, so it would be nice to actually see.

Not encouraging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is sad is they didn't include Star Trek Fleet Captains stuff with their Star Trek: Attack Wing miniature line. Something like a ship card, and then either a 10 card command deck, a couple location cards with encounter cards, or a set of mission cards. They could have increased the sales of that product line - but I can only guess the griping about component quality online resulted in poor sales, thus I don't expect to see anything ever come out for it again. On the up side? High replay value in the base game and a creative BGG community make it a blast to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They advertised Fleet Captains and the Romulan Expansion in every AW booster so far. I hope for the best. But I always do that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Romulan Expansion out of print? I just ordered my copy of Fleet Captains and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival later this week, but I noticed that the Romulan Expansion is much harder to come by right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm started to think WK's is finished with this. After the (deserved) beating they took on the components, I think they may be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Romulan is out of print and will not be coming back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erikk Joseph
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
I also luckily found a copy of the Romulan empire expansion. When I heard it was discontinued I went to as many FLGSs as possible looking for it and now I have the expansion but not the base game lol, I'll be picking that up next week.

I am hoping that Attack Wing doesn't mean an end for Fleet Captains, but I do agree that Attack Wing models may yet keep Fleet Captains alive for enthusiastic fans.

As for the next expansion I am definitely looking forward to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
I'm started to think WK's is finished with this. After the (deserved) beating they took on the components, I think they may be done.
FWIW Tom Vasel said pretty much the same thing today on his live call in. I think it's going to be an orphaned system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen half a dozen threads about expeculations regarding expansions...

An expansion was expected last year, but since AW is making a great success, Wizkids has dedicated itself to it.

I believe that this year is the year for Fleet Captains. Either we get at least an expansion, or this game will be discontinued, which I really don't believe as both AW and FC utilize the same models, so discontinuity is a nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Soonsin Lee
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I play with Blue
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:

I believe that this year is the year for Fleet Captains. Either we get at least an expansion, or this game will be discontinued, which I really don't believe as both AW and FC utilize the same models, so discontinuity is a nonsense.

Bruno, I agree with the two using the same models, I think it would not take too much to keep fleet captains going with more expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid I'm the type who will come back at the end of the year and say, "I told you so." The Romulan expansion isn't even mentioned on Wiz Kid's website anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
I'm afraid I'm the type who will come back at the end of the year and say, "I told you so." The Romulan expansion isn't even mentioned on Wiz Kid's website anymore.
It's thematically cloaked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My word is far from official.

I have worked for Wizkids as a developer and playtester.

And many other companies.

Sometimes, you work on projects that are awesome, and they just... never happen.

Yes, a lot of work was done on a further expansion to Fleet Captains.

But you know what - a lot of work was done on vehicle rules for HeroScape.

Sometimes things just don't materialize.

I'm not sure whether I'm still bound by any NDA with WK.

Logic would say that the ships would be the ships from Tactics to minimize sculpt costs.

Beyond that, I can offer no decent answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are a few factors that influenced the probably death of this product:

1) High MSRP of the initial product. A non-gamer will buy a game up to $20-$25 in the USA, while a gamer typically tops out at $40-$60. After that point, people will do a double take and say "its how much?!?"

2) Box size. Its a nice box, but it is definitely not a traditional size for storage on a shelf. Not only do owners balk at how much space it takes up, stores will be reluctant to take up 2 game slot spaces on their shelves.

3) Component quality. Many were dismayed that you had a hex deck and not hex tiles. Card quality was an issue for many. There were earlier issues with poor packaging breaking miniatures. The clix bases did not always function properly.

4) Replay value. I, like many others, find a high replay value in Star Trek Fleet Captains - and while we all say this is good, it make many go "well, I don't really need and expansion for it yet." Its like giving the customer a 100 year light bulb - who needs to buy one anymore?

These things could have been alleviated in many ways. Include only 4-6 ships of each faction in the base product and sell individual models for higher profit. Include fewer cards in the base game (say 60 command deck cards, 30 encounter cards, and only 15 mission cards) and make them better stock and maybe even make location tiles - then shove it in a $60 FFG standard game box. Then 3 months later come out with another $60 expansion with more of the same, and then release single ship expansions (2/month), and so on.

Yeah, scummy - but it seems to be how most consumers vote with their dollars.

Oh well, I would have like to seen at least 2 or 3 more factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:
I think there are a few factors that influenced the probably death of this product:

1) High MSRP of the initial product. A non-gamer will buy a game up to $20-$25 in the USA, while a gamer typically tops out at $40-$60. After that point, people will do a double take and say "its how much?!?"

2) Box size. Its a nice box, but it is definitely not a traditional size for storage on a shelf. Not only do owners balk at how much space it takes up, stores will be reluctant to take up 2 game slot spaces on their shelves.

3) Component quality. Many were dismayed that you had a hex deck and not hex tiles. Card quality was an issue for many. There were earlier issues with poor packaging breaking miniatures. The clix bases did not always function properly.

4) Replay value. I, like many others, find a high replay value in Star Trek Fleet Captains - and while we all say this is good, it make many go "well, I don't really need and expansion for it yet." Its like giving the customer a 100 year light bulb - who needs to buy one anymore?

These things could have been alleviated in many ways. Include only 4-6 ships of each faction in the base product and sell individual models for higher profit. Include fewer cards in the base game (say 60 command deck cards, 30 encounter cards, and only 15 mission cards) and make them better stock and maybe even make location tiles - then shove it in a $60 FFG standard game box. Then 3 months later come out with another $60 expansion with more of the same, and then release single ship expansions (2/month), and so on.

Yeah, scummy - but it seems to be how most consumers vote with their dollars.

Oh well, I would have like to seen at least 2 or 3 more factions.
Have to agree.

I'm pretty pleased with the game so far. My miniatures are all ok, the clix work 100%.

Expansions, in the other hand, is something I would really like to see for this game, as it adds new ships, missions, locations and habilities.

I myself have bought some Borg ships to use in one of the unoffical Borg Expansions available. There are also tons of ships to make a Dominion expansion (although I do not care about them).

All in all, I would be happy to see that the game keeps on moving, but if it stalls I'm not going to cry for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WK has specifically said they aren't done with FC and that they are just very busy keeping up with the runaway success of STAW.

That said...

STFC is a niche-ier game and it also doesn't have as broad of a profit margin as the STAW boosters do. So, I honestly think that the expansion will see the light of day some time this year, probably late in the year, after STAW has settled in a bit and WK can breathe a little.

As far as the "beating they took on quality" goes, the same thing was said about the scale and paint jobs on the STAW minis, and that game is a huge hit regardless... I don't think a few models occasionally popping off of bases or cards that need to be sleeved (penny sleeves are your friend) detract from the amazing gameplay contained in STFC. It is still my favorite ST game, by far... and I love STAW...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree about the hex tiles... problems with the ships and dials themselves aside (which I haven't really experienced) I was quite disappointed with the very thin hex tiles and would very much have preferred TI3 style tiles. But yeah I'm sure balancing MSRP was a tough one on this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Think it is now an abandoned game...Wizkids focused too much now on the Star Trek Attack Wing game system as their cash cow and have dropped this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taellik wrote:
Think it is now an abandoned game...Wizkids focused too much now on the Star Trek Attack Wing game system as their cash cow and have dropped this one.

While that could be possible, I offer this rebuttal:

(1) STFC is prominently featured as an advertisement in the STAW expansion packs (although, in all fairness, I cannot confirm that this is true in the latest wave as I have not purchased any of them yet). This being the case, why would they market a game that they are abandoning?

(2) The miniature molds already exist and WK produces them for STFC unpainted. Why would they not try to maximize profit? Why sell one miniature when you can sell 2 (or 3 if the person also plays ST:Tactics, or at least buys the minis for customization/homebrew options like I do)?

(3) The rest of the materials in the game are pretty much the same materials as STAW (cards, tokens, even the hexes are just differently shaped cards). The paper is even pretty much the same. There is nothing really unique to the components in STFC.

(4) Everything that has been heard re: playtesting a new expansion is that it is done and just needs to be produced. If so, I think it is at this point a matter of scheduling. You are 100% right about the success of STAW. I am sure the factory that produces the minis can only do so much at a time. STAW has a big production run coming for the foreseeable future (4 ships in April and June, then 3 every month through October). I think at that point, that may be when they plan to put STFC's next expansion into the works (which means Romulan Empire, too and base set as they will want to have the game available for new players). This coincides with the rumors I have heard about STFC coming back late 2014.

Now, of course, this is all just speculation based on logic, rumors, and wishful thinking. I just don't see WK abandoning it when I personally know more people who play STFC than Tactics (which WK still supports, even in the face of a very similar, vastly superior, product). It is nichey and expensive, so, as a boutique type of game, I do feel it is on their back-burner... but, I'm not ready to call it dead just yet.

*edit* One extra thought I just had: No company supports/expands a game that is not successful. STFC came out and was successful enough to warrant the Romulan Empire expansion. It continued to be successful enough to warrant the development and playtesting of another expansion. Furthermore, the word is that Romulan Empire is impossible to find right now... which means the production run sold out. ergo, successful.

I really do believe STFC, while the redheaded stepchild of the WK ST family, is not an orphan. Time will tell. I sincerely hope I can be on here in a year telling you all "i told you so". I am pretty sure none of you would be unhappy to hear that, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Furthermore, the word is that Romulan Empire is impossible to find right now... which means the production run sold out. ergo, successful.

Or

They didn't make many because the game was failing and they sold out the tiny allotment the did make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:
Furthermore, the word is that Romulan Empire is impossible to find right now... which means the production run sold out. ergo, successful.

Or

They didn't make many because the game was failing and they sold out the tiny allotment the did make.

I prefer to view the glass as half-full....

Besides, if so, why continue to advertise it (base game and Rom. Emp) in STAW inserts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |