Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confirming my understanding of this rare situation:

I know my opponent will have to name a 1-strength infantry unit as the only available defender (there's another block in the locale he'll want to keep for an attack from another approach).

I threaten with a 1-strength infantry and declare the attack real. 1-strength units cannot lead attack or defense so we have a 0-0 tie with one block in reserve on each side -- and as France, I win ties.

So my 1-strength infantry takes the locale and both his blocks have to retreat, with the non-defending unit in reserve losing one strength. But neither of our 1-strength units suffers any loss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LautreSault
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That line of reasoning is correct.

(In the context of the situation. I'll assume the 1 strength unit, named to defend, is in the reserve...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Confirming the hard-to-grasp fact that attacking with 0 leading units can, in rare cases, be worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nappeto wrote:
Excellent! Confirming the hard-to-grasp fact that attacking with 0 leading units can, in rare cases, be worthwhile.
Yep but is it the only situation that could happen ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
nappeto wrote:
Yep but is it the only situation that could happen ?

Definitely not; attacking with no elegible leading units into a town where you expect only cavalry, a botched attrition (you wanted to reduce their heavy cav, but they sent a middle infantry; save your good unit!)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See this thread: Enfants Perdus.
Another situation is where you attack with no leading units into a locale with no eligible defending units. A 1-strength cav unit can make itself a nuisance in that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls