Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

Anyone have any tips on printing your own cards for this game? I'd like to make it as realistic as possible (so you can't easily tell what is a card that came with the game and what is one that you printed yourself)? Like, would you just go to Kinko's?

Feel free to PM me with tips if you'd like, I have my reasons for wanting to create a custom card...

Any advice would be really appreciated, this is my first time doing something like this and it's for something really important!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
not easy to do unless you have the same cardstock used for the game.

Since I sleeve all my cards I usually use an extra card and then use photo matte sticky paper and paste in the front of an existing card so the back is the same and with sleeves their is no difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sonas
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have been extremely happy with PrinterStudio.com for the actual printing of cards. You can use the website to submit bitmaps and order the cards in standard bridge/poker sizes as well as a few other sizes. After you upload the bitmap images into a library, you can then pick which images to use for front or back of individual cards. The website was really easy to use and gave great previews of what the cards were, including indicating where the cards would be cut, although when I received them I got slightly more of the images than the preview showed. I haven't tried to do this for Star Trek cards, but I used PrinterStudio heavily for making my own Star Wars Epic Duels cards. I just compared the card sizes between the poker-sized ones I made for Star Wars, and the store-bought Star Trek ones. There would be a tiny difference in the curve on the corners, but I think if you did it with standard poker size it would be almost perfect; in my comparison the Star Trek card is 0.25 inches wider than my handmade bridge-size cards. Then the big challenge would be getting the backs to match identically so you couldn't recognize your card(s).

When I did this for Star Wars cards I ended up designing the generic card layout myself in Microsoft Visio, and then finding appropriate photos to resize/crop and add into the Visio documents. That was to get as close a match as possible to the overall layout of those cards. I'm sure there are lots of ways to generate the images you need, depending on your skills, but I recommend PrinterStudio.com very highly for the printing. I think the minimum order would be about 50 cards, at about 20 cents per card, and there is usually some sort of discount coupon code you can apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.