Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Some "more" new card speculations - Cloaking on any ship!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Some of my speculations (apologies if they have been posted elsewhere):

E-wing:
PS8 Pilot – I going to squint real hard for this one and deduce that this is Corran Horn.

Headhunter:
PS4 pilot – looks like Fala Squadron Pilot (?)
PS6 pilot – is Lieutenant [something]

Tie Defender:
PS3 Pilot – Onyx Squadron Pilot
PS6 Pilot – is Colonel [something] – (I have a feeling this is Colonel Jendon, as he was a part of Onyx Squadron)

Tie Phantom:
Not sure if this is completely accurate, but judging by the cards it appears as though none of the high PS pilots are unique. Multiple PS7 Phantoms anyone?

Also interestingly the Modification: Stygium particle accelerator is not unique to the Tie Phantom (according to the card), whereas the Modification: Advanced Cloaking Device is unique to the Tie Phantom (according to the card).

I would then speculate that the Stygium particle accelerator mod, can be put on any other ship giving any ship the cloaking ability. Tie Defenders with cloaking..ah this too much! Thoughts?

Edit: title
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stygian Particle Accelerator text:

"Modification"

"When you either decloak or perform a cloak action, you may perform a free evade action."

The phrase "TIE Phantom only" isn't necessary, because it's currently the only ship that can perform a cloak action and decloak. So, sorry, no cloaking TIE Defenders. However, it does leave FFG open to add more cloaking ships in future waves. And those ships could use the Stygian Particle Accelerator modification.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian1981 wrote:
Stygian Particle Accelerator text:

The phrase "TIE Phantom only" isn't necessary, because it's currently the only ship that can perform a cloak action and decloak. .


I agree that the Tie Phantom is the only ship that has cloaking action in its action bar. But what if the Cloaking rules card allows for any ship with the Stygian Particle Accelerator mod, to add the cloak action to its action bar?

And my question to you is then: why put "Tie Phantom only" on one of the modification cards and not other?

I'm not saying you are wrong, just seems odd to include that on one card and not the other if both were only meant to be on the Tie Phantom.


Future expansions could answer this question you are correct in that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anextiomarus wrote:

Headhunter:
PS4 pilot – looks like Fala Squadron Pilot (?)
PS6 pilot – is Lieutenant [something]


Based on my CCG days, I think it will be Tala Squadron Pilot and Lieutenant Blount.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TradenMyr wrote:
anextiomarus wrote:

Headhunter:
PS4 pilot – looks like Fala Squadron Pilot (?)
PS6 pilot – is Lieutenant [something]


Based on my CCG days, I think it will be Tala Squadron Pilot and Lieutenant Blount.


Yup and the Defender should be Colonel Jendon and Lieutenant Yorr.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
Jetfire wrote:
TradenMyr wrote:
anextiomarus wrote:

Headhunter:
PS4 pilot – looks like Fala Squadron Pilot (?)
PS6 pilot – is Lieutenant [something]


Based on my CCG days, I think it will be Tala Squadron Pilot and Lieutenant Blount.


Yup and the Defender should be Colonel Jendon and Lieutenant Yorr.


Except, it looks pretty likely that one of the Defender pilots is Rexlar Brath, the commander of Onyx squadron.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian1981 wrote:
The phrase "TIE Phantom only" isn't necessary, because it's currently the only ship that can perform a cloak action and decloak.


Ya know, of all the ships in this wave that have inspired "BUT IT'S NOT CANON!" nerd range...I can only really see that point with the TIE Phantom.

We have exactly *one* on-screen reference to cloaking devices existing in the Star Wars universe, when the Falcon flies by the Star Destroyer Avenger and Captain Needa exclaims "no ship that small could have a cloaking device!"

So the only things we know are:
- Cloaking devices are, apparently, a "thing" in the Star Wars universe
- The Millenium Falcon is too small to have equipped one...indicating bigger things are easier to cloak than smaller things (counter-intuitive unless the ability to cloak was somehow related to power plant, and only larger ships could generate the needed power)

Yet, here we have the TIE Phantom coming along - *dwarfed* by the Falcon - with no problem cloaking.

Grrrrrr....
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anextiomarus wrote:
Brian1981 wrote:
Stygian Particle Accelerator text:

The phrase "TIE Phantom only" isn't necessary, because it's currently the only ship that can perform a cloak action and decloak. .


I agree that the Tie Phantom is the only ship that has cloaking action in its action bar. But what if the Cloaking rules card allows for any ship with the Stygian Particle Accelerator mod, to add the cloak action to its action bar?


Just realized my theory is flawed as this would require the expansion to come with two cloaking tokens and it appears as though it only comes with one... Too bad, but I think you are right, no cloaking Defenders..cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Brian1981 wrote:
The phrase "TIE Phantom only" isn't necessary, because it's currently the only ship that can perform a cloak action and decloak.


Ya know, of all the ships in this wave that have inspired "BUT IT'S NOT CANON!" nerd range...I can only really see that point with the TIE Phantom.

We have exactly *one* on-screen reference to cloaking devices existing in the Star Wars universe, when the Falcon flies by the Star Destroyer Avenger and Captain Needa exclaims "no ship that small could have a cloaking device!"

So the only things we know are:
- Cloaking devices are, apparently, a "thing" in the Star Wars universe
- The Millenium Falcon is too small to have equipped one...indicating bigger things are easier to cloak than smaller things (counter-intuitive unless the ability to cloak was somehow related to power plant, and only larger ships could generate the needed power)

Yet, here we have the TIE Phantom coming along - *dwarfed* by the Falcon - with no problem cloaking.

Grrrrrr....


Like it or hate it, you can't really blame FFG for the existence of a TIE Phantom. It's from LusasArts game Rebel Assault II:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Phantom

As you can read, the Phantom belonged to a secret Imperial fleet that never made it out of the gate. This occurred after your Captain Needa quote, so it's still consistent with the original trilogy material.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading about Corran piloting his X-wing, a headhunter and even a tie defender.
I would like to read the book where Corran is piloting a E-wing. Do you remember which one it is?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gugadin wrote:
I remember reading about Corran piloting his X-wing, a headhunter and even a tie defender.
I would like to read the book where Corran is piloting a E-wing. Do you remember which one it is?


I not sure the book does exist, that was complete speculation. After staring at a zoomed in image of the preview it looked liked the first 4 letter were C O R R, to me, so I made that guess.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Brian1981 wrote:
The phrase "TIE Phantom only" isn't necessary, because it's currently the only ship that can perform a cloak action and decloak.


Ya know, of all the ships in this wave that have inspired "BUT IT'S NOT CANON!" nerd range...I can only really see that point with the TIE Phantom.

We have exactly *one* on-screen reference to cloaking devices existing in the Star Wars universe, when the Falcon flies by the Star Destroyer Avenger and Captain Needa exclaims "no ship that small could have a cloaking device!"

So the only things we know are:
- Cloaking devices are, apparently, a "thing" in the Star Wars universe
- The Millenium Falcon is too small to have equipped one...indicating bigger things are easier to cloak than smaller things (counter-intuitive unless the ability to cloak was somehow related to power plant, and only larger ships could generate the needed power)

Yet, here we have the TIE Phantom coming along - *dwarfed* by the Falcon - with no problem cloaking.

Grrrrrr....


Like it or hate it, you can't really blame FFG for the existence of a TIE Phantom. It's from LusasArts game Rebel Assault II:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Phantom

As you can read, the Phantom belonged to a secret Imperial fleet that never made it out of the gate. This occurred after your Captain Needa quote, so it's still consistent with the original trilogy material.


Oh, I'm not saying it's FFG's fault, per se, outside of validating the thing in another context.

It's just one of those instances of the EU really 'jumping the shark' in an annoying way...specifically contradicting something established in dialog.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Corran Horn's Wookiepedia page, here are two books it may have occurred in:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Handbook_2:_Crimson_Empire

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/I,_Jedi

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
anextiomarus wrote:
According to Corran Horn's Wookiepedia page, here are two books it may have occurred in:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Handbook_2:_Crimson_Empire

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/I,_Jedi

Didn't happen in I, Jedi--wrong timeframe, I think, and the ship he actually spends the most time in is an [url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clutch_(fighter)]Ugly variant[/url].

(Edit: link is broken, for no good reason I can tell. soblue)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Brian1981 wrote:
The phrase "TIE Phantom only" isn't necessary, because it's currently the only ship that can perform a cloak action and decloak.


Ya know, of all the ships in this wave that have inspired "BUT IT'S NOT CANON!" nerd range...I can only really see that point with the TIE Phantom.

We have exactly *one* on-screen reference to cloaking devices existing in the Star Wars universe, when the Falcon flies by the Star Destroyer Avenger and Captain Needa exclaims "no ship that small could have a cloaking device!"

So the only things we know are:
- Cloaking devices are, apparently, a "thing" in the Star Wars universe
- The Millenium Falcon is too small to have equipped one...indicating bigger things are easier to cloak than smaller things (counter-intuitive unless the ability to cloak was somehow related to power plant, and only larger ships could generate the needed power)

Yet, here we have the TIE Phantom coming along - *dwarfed* by the Falcon - with no problem cloaking.

Grrrrrr....


Like it or hate it, you can't really blame FFG for the existence of a TIE Phantom. It's from LusasArts game Rebel Assault II:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Phantom

As you can read, the Phantom belonged to a secret Imperial fleet that never made it out of the gate. This occurred after your Captain Needa quote, so it's still consistent with the original trilogy material.


The bottom line I think is that FFG wanted to shake up the meta with something different. The TIE Defender was a given because the Empire needed that heavier fighter to fill that spot in their meta. The TIE Phantom is unexpected.

Given it's stats I'd think it's very tricky to use too. 4 attack is impressive but it has the resiliency of an A-Wing without that ship's agility.

As to it's in-canon status... Im fine with it. I think I'd be using a maximum of maybe two of these ships not just for the point cost but because I think they were so limited on their deployment. Even Defenders, with their interrupted production schedule, had higher numbers than the Phantoms *shrug*

The question with the Syguium card is "are there any other fighters in the EU with cloaking capacity?" Making a cloaking device a system slot opens up a lot of problems that have to be migiated somehow... either through high cost, taking up a valuable slot, or being restricted to a few ships. I'd be perfectly happy of the cloaking action was only found on a ship's action bar.

Just as long as it doesn't end up like it has in Attack Wing *shudder*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
I dont remember Corran Horn flying an Ewing but i suppose i wouldnt complain. I dont imagine seeing him in an Xwing anytime soon.

I saw someone say that the PS8 Z95 could be Airen Cracken.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, there is no obvious reference to Corran flying an E-wing, but Rogue Squadron has been confirmed to fly E-Wings while Corran was a part of the Rogues... Sounds like FFG just kind of inferred that Corran was in an E-Wing at some point. Given the lack of named E-Wing pilots, I guess they didn't have much choice. I don't know if the other named pilot is ever actually seen in an E-Wing either, but he may have been...

And I would guess the PS 8 Z-95 is Airen. Based on the old CCG game anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anextiomarus wrote:

Some of my speculations (apologies if they have been posted elsewhere):
Headhunter:
PS4 pilot – looks like Fala Squadron Pilot (?)
PS6 pilot – is Lieutenant [something]....


I think it's Lieutenant Dan...



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
The fact that the TIE Phantom is smaller than the Falcon and has a cloaking device is not necessarily inplausible. Technologic advances are downsizing things all the time so as the TIE Phantom is obviously a more advanced ship set years after the movie time period it makes sense.

If it is like other cloaking devices the ship has to give up on certain functions like attacks or even shields while cloaked. The advantage really comes when they decloak "out of their expected position".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim East
Australia
flag msg tools
Considering we have Bandit Squadron for the Z-95s, and Bandit Squadron was a thing in X-Wing Alliance, there's a small chance that one of the Z-95s will be Ace Azzameen, player character from X-Wing Alliance and squad leader of Bandit Squadron
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim East
Australia
flag msg tools
DB Draft wrote:
The fact that the TIE Phantom is smaller than the Falcon and has a cloaking device is not necessarily inplausible. Technologic advances are downsizing things all the time so as the TIE Phantom is obviously a more advanced ship set years after the movie time period it makes sense.

If it is like other cloaking devices the ship has to give up on certain functions like attacks or even shields while cloaked. The advantage really comes when they decloak "out of their expected position".


Plus, who's to say that Captain Needa knew absolutely everything about the galaxy? The TIE Phantom project was meant to be a secret.

Plus, in terms of canon, Darth Maul's ship, the Scimitar, is SMALLER than a YT-1300 and it also canonically has a stygium cloaking device.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CptShrike wrote:
DB Draft wrote:
The fact that the TIE Phantom is smaller than the Falcon and has a cloaking device is not necessarily inplausible. Technologic advances are downsizing things all the time so as the TIE Phantom is obviously a more advanced ship set years after the movie time period it makes sense.

If it is like other cloaking devices the ship has to give up on certain functions like attacks or even shields while cloaked. The advantage really comes when they decloak "out of their expected position".


Plus, who's to say that Captain Needa knew absolutely everything about the galaxy? The TIE Phantom project was meant to be a secret.

Plus, in terms of canon, Darth Maul's ship, the Scimitar, is SMALLER than a YT-1300 and it also canonically has a stygium cloaking device.


This. We have to remember that just because a character said something, doesn't make it canonically true... because they might have been wrong. Remember, that he was in the process of being outwitted!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an episode of the Clone Wars TV show where a small ship has a cloaking device. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cat_and_Mouse.

Here's the Stealth Ship: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stealth_ship
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RecklessFable wrote:
CptShrike wrote:
DB Draft wrote:
The fact that the TIE Phantom is smaller than the Falcon and has a cloaking device is not necessarily inplausible. Technologic advances are downsizing things all the time so as the TIE Phantom is obviously a more advanced ship set years after the movie time period it makes sense.

If it is like other cloaking devices the ship has to give up on certain functions like attacks or even shields while cloaked. The advantage really comes when they decloak "out of their expected position".


Plus, who's to say that Captain Needa knew absolutely everything about the galaxy? The TIE Phantom project was meant to be a secret.

Plus, in terms of canon, Darth Maul's ship, the Scimitar, is SMALLER than a YT-1300 and it also canonically has a stygium cloaking device.


This. We have to remember that just because a character said something, doesn't make it canonically true... because they might have been wrong. Remember, that he was in the process of being outwitted!


Agree! Just because a character says it, doesn't mean it's fact. People in real life are wrong ALL THE TIME. How is fiction any different?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
anextiomarus wrote:

Some of my speculations (apologies if they have been posted elsewhere):
Headhunter:
PS4 pilot – looks like Fala Squadron Pilot (?)
PS6 pilot – is Lieutenant [something]....


I think it's Lieutenant Dan...





Lt Dan pilots an A-wing because he doesn't need as much legroom.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.