Subject: Game? Check. Art? Check. And... go? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
So we have a game that is testing very well. And art is coming in that we love. We are steadily building a Twitter and Facebook following, and have manufacturing and distribution plans almost nailed down.

It feels like we are almost ready to launch the Kickstarter, but I've been here before in videogame land - with a great product in hand, but no pedestal to shout about it from.

James Mathe (may the sun eternally shine upon him) suggests a Twitter following of 100 and a Facebook 'like' count of 500 before hitting the Kickstarter button. Twitter is going 'ok' at roughly 1-2 followers a day (69 currently) but Facebook is direly lagging behind at 58 with very few people taking an interest. Which is understandable, as it just re-posts Twitter posts and Website articles.

So my question is: where should I take the project from here? I'm currently putting together high-quality prototypes ready to send to reviewers, and we are getting ready to film a video to show & demo our game, but I'd like to know if I'm missing any more tricks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. These are the links, maybe you can see if I'm doing anything wrong:

f: https://www.facebook.com/TapToWin
t: @TapToWin
BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/154487/bedtime-heroes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I think you got most of it. Have you tried to offer PnP or see if you can get more playtesters? That usually can generate some traffic. I know it's in its final stages, but playtesting is very over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you sent a review copy to FatherGeek (who seems a good match for the game) or some other bloggers/reviewers/podcasters to get independent thoughts and reviews about it out there? Getting other people to talk about your game might help raise more awareness of it around the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wright
United States
Hopkins
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of James Mathe and would never aim to contradict his wisdom. 500 likes on Facebook is certainly an ideal number, but I wouldn't put too much weight on it as a requirement to launching your campaign. Actually, since reading his article that first outlined that number, I've been paying attention to the new board game related campaigns on Kickstarter. It's not very often that they come in swinging with that many Facebook likes.

Whether or not the campaigns succeed seems much more related to the quality of game, the rules, how completed the game itself is, how well spelled out the campaign is, the video, etc, etc.

Are you aware of Stonemaier Games and/or Jamey Stegmaier? Jamey runs a very extensive Kickstarter/board game design blog that would I highly recommend you check out;

http://stonemaiergames.com/blog/

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this for Bedtime Heros? I remember a post where we helped you select a name (good choice!)
anyway, I checked out your facebook page and I may have missed it but, does the name show up anywhere? I see TaptoWin everywhere, but I don't know what that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Jensen
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fathergeek is going to be harder to get a review from now that his work schedule changed.
Do you have a friends that will support your game? Try to get your friends to help spread the word through social media, if they havnt already. If the game is good, and your friends/family will support you, I dont think you NEED 500 FB followers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
It is indeed for Bedtime Heroes!

Thanks for the advice, I had seen Jamey's site before but didn't realise how much information is on there. Looks like I'll need several coffees to get through that gold mine.

The Facebook page is for Tap To Win, the company, rather than the game. Because I work on so many games I want to focus the attention on a single page; for example I have 200+ likes for an iPhone game I did a while ago but that's on a separate page that won't really help me with Bedtime Heroes.

I know it's harder to get people to like a company page rather than a game page but I think it will pay off in the end, but I take your point - if you don't know what Tap To Win is then I need to clarify that somehow.

I'm contacting game reviewers and have had 1 get back to me which is great, but this is typically where I have fallen down in the video game world - reviewers are very busy and I struggle to grab their attention. I think it's a bit easier with boardgames because I'm physically sending them a product, but I need to register their attention first to get their address!

Father Geek is one person I emailed, hopefully he'll get back to me but I understand if his work has taken over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a small suggestion, your Bedtime Heroes BGG item doesn't have a cover image, which to me at least is a bit of a turnoff. I like to be drawn into the game immediately with a good picture that helps me understand what I'm getting into. When there are a zillion games kicking around on here the more you can do to differentiate and stand out from the crowd the better.

For example an image like this might help evoke the right emotions and interest in your target audience:

(Apologies for the size)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wright
United States
Hopkins
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bosky wrote:
Just a small suggestion, your Bedtime Heroes BGG item doesn't have a cover image, which to me at least is a bit of a turnoff. I like to be drawn into the game immediately with a good picture that helps me understand what I'm getting into. When there are a zillion games kicking around on here the more you can do to differentiate and stand out from the crowd the better.

I second that.

Also, awesome pic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.