Subject: Looking for feedback on a 2-ship Klingon build for OP5 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Durand
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing tonight (and next weekend) in OP5. Last week in an OP% event I got my butt handed to me flying a three-ship Klingon fleet, against fleets using the flagship resource, which I have not ever used in competition.

I came up with this build, thinking it gives me a good alpha strike BoF (+4 BoF; +6 supporting ship; +1 for Gowron; +1 for Klingon Independent flagship ability at range 2 or +1 attack die at range 1 - for a total 12 dice plus Drex for battlestations), coupled with strong follow-on attacks and decent survivability.

Thoughts, comments, criticisms, are all welcome. Thanks!

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

Vor'cha Class (26)
Gowron (4)
Flagship (0)
Once More Unto The Breach (5)
Miles O'Brien (3)
Advanced Weapon System (5)
Ship SP: 43

Negh'Var (30)
Martok (5)
Drex (4)
Stex (2)
Barrage of Fire (5)
Ship SP: 46

Total Build SP: 99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a matter of Personal Preference, but I'd go with the Klingon Flagship over the Klingon-Indy Flag, as given the choice, I will go for a Guaranteed Hit over a +1 Attack Die in most circumstances.

Alternately, throw the Indy-flag on the Negh'var and substitute Drex and Stex for Alexander and Boheeka (net cost will be the same). You need to be hit of course to use Alexander, so you will want to stay uncloaked, but the result of being able to use a Scan token and a Battlestations token combined with Bokheeka can be fairly devastating, especially if your target has minimal evasion already.

Just throwing some alternative ideas out there, I've not tested any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alton Todd
United States
Ramona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miles O'Brien REALLY NOW!

With all the ships and crew that are available now for ST:AW my gaming groups do not feel the need to play mix factions. That said here is my two cents worth.

I have walked away with a prize for every OP 1- 5 using the following basic Klingon build:

3 X Vor'Cha Class, Martok(5), Gowron(4), Drex and now add N'Garen. You can add AWS, AOs and a Resource to taste.

IMHO the BoF is a little over rated; if I have the extra SP I may put it in my build. I also believe the Klingons run better with at least three ships.

A tight three ship group with a little unexpected tactical movements on my part has worked well for me. Plus I always offer up a prayer to the Dice Gods.

Trim the fat out of your build, make an offering to the Dice Gods and go forth and win one for the Klingons tonight! Good Hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Durand
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jagerfox wrote:
Miles O'Brien REALLY NOW!

Thanks all for the advice.

My normal build is the three Vor'cha's with Martok, Gowron and maybe Worf, with Drex and N'Garen. Like I said, last OP I was trounced by two-ship fleets with flagship resource and interphase generators on everything.

So, Miles is there because the local meta has skewed decidedly towards putting those damnable interphase generators on pretty much everything, and he is a way to disable that before I attack.

I agree that BoF is finicky - I have had great attack rolls that one-shotted the enemy, and an equal amount of cold rolls that barely scratched the paint on the enemy ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I've had before with faction-pure 2-ship Klingon builds is that they have no crew/tech cards really to protect themselves other than the built-in cloaks (such as the Fed with Sulu/Data or Terrell, Romulans with Interphase/Varel/Selok and Letant/Mirok, Dominion with Tetryon Emissions/Ikat'ika and Evek/Sar). The Klingons had the 2 shield repairers (Secondary Shield Emitters and Konmel), but they require you to be decloaked and only repair shield damage. So to me, in order for a 2-ship Klingon build to be more hearty, you have to mix factions for perhaps Interphase Generators, Conditional Surrender, and/or Sulu, etc.

Anyone who discounts BoF in Klingon builds is just making excuses to justify not owning/winning/buying one. It's by far the best offensive card in the game. Every build either needs to be running it (if you own it) or must have a set plan to counter/avoid it (such as with Interphase Generators, Conditional Surrender, upping agility, etc). As long as the build is properly put together it's not going to be subject to a bad roll and miss (with either a high-skill captain to get the shot off first or enough protection to make sure you don't get popped before it goes off; a way to reroll with either the Ch'tang, Worf captain, or Worf crew; and a way to get Battlestations results (either through Command Tokens, Drex, or N'Garen)). The mere threat of it in your build is typically enough to make opponents change their flight plans and strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alton Todd
United States
Ramona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:

Anyone who discounts BoF in Klingon builds is just making excuses to justify not owning/winning/buying one.

NOPE! That's not it and I don't discount them. I own two BoF; I just don't need to use them to win and I win without mixing factions.

I use the best that each faction has to offer and give it my own twist and some really good tactical manuvering.

That's what I Really enjoy about this game. You take what each faction has to offer and you use your own game skills to win. Not just taking he best of each faction to win. Really whaT's the fun in that?

I lose some, But I win a lot more. While Having a great time with each play of each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eldurand wrote:
I am playing tonight (and next weekend) in OP5. Last week in an OP% event I got my butt handed to me flying a three-ship Klingon fleet, against fleets using the flagship resource, which I have not ever used in competition.

I came up with this build, thinking it gives me a good alpha strike BoF (+4 BoF; +6 supporting ship; +1 for Gowron; +1 for Klingon Independent flagship ability at range 2 or +1 attack die at range 1 - for a total 12 dice plus Drex for battlestations), coupled with strong follow-on attacks and decent survivability.

Thoughts, comments, criticisms, are all welcome. Thanks!

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

Vor'cha Class (26)
Gowron (4)
Flagship (0)
Once More Unto The Breach (5)
Miles O'Brien (3)
Advanced Weapon System (5)
Ship SP: 43

Negh'Var (30)
Martok (5)
Drex (4)
Stex (2)
Barrage of Fire (5)
Ship SP: 46

Total Build SP: 99

If you drop Miles, you can pick up the United Force Admiralty Order to gain an additional 10 SPs. Use the points to buy the Once More Unto the Breach (Elite Talent) and Advanced Weapons (Tech) upgrades. Now you've freed up 13 points to spend on whatever other Klingon stuff you may have wanted!

However, I do applaud the use of Miles in your build. To disable an Interphase Generator for 3 points on a critical turn might be well worth foregoing United Force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Durand
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
However, I do applaud the use of Miles in your build. To disable an Interphase Generator for 3 points on a critical turn might be well worth foregoing United Force.

Thanks, all good thoughts.

BTW, last night I went 1-2 with that fleet. First game was a complete win. Second was a loss to a three-ship K'vort fleet in which a crit from Martok 9 knocked out my BoF. Focused fire from all three enemy ships took mine down one at a time. Game three I lost to a two-ship Romulan build - both with Interphase Generator and Conditional Surrender. Miles worked as planned to disable one Interphase generator, but my offensive effectiveness was severely limited by the other cards.

I still have one more shot at OP5 at a different venue, so back to the drawing board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hunter
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:
The problem I've had before with faction-pure 2-ship Klingon builds is that they have no crew/tech cards really to protect themselves other than the built-in cloaks (such as the Fed with Sulu/Data or Terrell, Romulans with Interphase/Varel/Selok and Letant/Mirok, Dominion with Tetryon Emissions/Ikat'ika and Evek/Sar). The Klingons had the 2 shield repairers (Secondary Shield Emitters and Konmel), but they require you to be decloaked and only repair shield damage. So to me, in order for a 2-ship Klingon build to be more hearty, you have to mix factions for perhaps Interphase Generators, Conditional Surrender, and/or Sulu, etc.

Anyone who discounts BoF in Klingon builds is just making excuses to justify not owning/winning/buying one. It's by far the best offensive card in the game. Every build either needs to be running it (if you own it) or must have a set plan to counter/avoid it (such as with Interphase Generators, Conditional Surrender, upping agility, etc). As long as the build is properly put together it's not going to be subject to a bad roll and miss (with either a high-skill captain to get the shot off first or enough protection to make sure you don't get popped before it goes off; a way to reroll with either the Ch'tang, Worf captain, or Worf crew; and a way to get Battlestations results (either through Command Tokens, Drex, or N'Garen)). The mere threat of it in your build is typically enough to make opponents change their flight plans and strategy.

Scott as you know I have used BoF in our OP's but through eperience have come to realise that the One Shot Alpha Strike has too many counters available. I believe two ships with the odds maximised to roll a high number of hits works better on the whole.

Also after BoF you are left with two ships with Aux tokens. This limits your movement options next turn or means you will do a slightly unexpected (non-green) manoeuver and be left with no action.

As a whole the non-BoF builds have performed better against BoF builds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls