Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suzanne
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been introducing Steam Park to a bunch of people and brought it to a 4 day gaming convention over the weekend. I thought I'd share my thoughts after getting a fair number of plays under the belt.

Pros
-Steam Park is a very fun game and I think the amusement park theme is very strong throughout
-The game play is simple but engaging since you are working with a wide variety of mechanisms throughout
-The game challenges multiple bits of your brain - especially when it comes to connecting your dice rolls to your action selection and your park layout
-Everyone I've introduced it to has enjoyed the game
-The components are very cute (although a PITA to punch and assemble)
-The game box insert works great at storing the assembled rides (if you want to see what I mean look at Geek Dad's layout

Cons
-After 10 plays - this is the big issue for me; There is very little player interaction - which is a bummer for such a light game.
These are just nits more than anything else...
-The single sided money seems unnecessary. I get that you may want to keep your total "denari" secret - but there's a ton of the cardboard chips and digging through them gets annoying
-The stands come apart pretty easily and the box that is so great at holding the rides, doesn't have a similar ease for the stands
-The stands, after 10 plays, are still hard for me to differentiate and I have to think about which one is which when I purchase them still
-The visitors fall off/get knocked off the rides somewhat frequently (I think it's still worth the thematic bump to have the stands instead of flat chits)

Summary
I will still gladly play Steam Park at anyone's request. The game has a lot of charm and is highly entertaining for the most part. It can probably be played by clever 8 year olds and up. But with the lack of player interaction, the shine of the game has worn off for me. After you frantically grab for the turn order token, the only interaction you have is waiting to see if someone takes the ride or stand you wanted. It's my hope that they have an expansion planned with the ability to add dirt to someone's park or steal a visitor from them, etc. Anything to let players interact/thwart/aid each other. I still highly recommend the game and I'm glad I own it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Stephenson
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! Glad to hear that it generally holds up after 10 plays.. have a copy showing up this week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bordelon
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
gibbous wrote:

Cons

-The visitors fall off/get knocked off the rides somewhat frequently (I think it's still worth the thematic bump to have the stands instead of flat chits)

This thread had a BGgeek solve this issue in an interesting (and thematic) way. Might be worth the time and effort!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1107394/pimping-your-park-ma...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gibbous wrote:

-The single sided money seems unnecessary. I get that you may want to keep your total "denari" secret - but there's a ton of the cardboard chips and digging through them gets annoying
-The stands come apart pretty easily and the box that is so great at holding the rides, doesn't have a similar ease for the stands
-The stands, after 10 plays, are still hard for me to differentiate and I have to think about which one is which when I purchase them still.

Making foam board inserts for the stands and money could negate these cons:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
It seriously has a "pack and stack" mechanic of "whoever is fast" for turn order?

Any oficial variant? I was looking forward to this one but what a bummer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with my daughter, we just get 3 rolls each. After that the tickets are randomly assigned. Adds more luck into the game, but it puts us on an even playing field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate your review format. It is your opinion. It is quick and concise and not bloated with information I have already learned about the game. Thank you and please do more reviews like this!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
FakeDutch wrote:
It seriously has a "pack and stack" mechanic of "whoever is fast" for turn order?

Any oficial variant? I was looking forward to this one but what a bummer

I haven't played, but I don't think it's quite that simple. As I understand it, you roll dice, choose to keep the ones you want, and keep re-rolling the remainder as many times as you like to get the desired rolls, but the trade-off is you must stop rolling in order to choose the turn-order cards, which also carry bonuses / penalties. First finishers get the widest choice. Sounds like a neat mechanic to me: optimise your dice rolls but go last and take a "dirt" penalty, or take the first card but with sub-optimal dice. It does seem that fast rollers / fast deciders will have an advantage though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls