Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I am a little confused with this and I might be over interpreting the rulebook.

In the rulebook it says that you never place enemy units in the same card as a US unit... except in Vietnam's mission if the placement table tell you so.

What does this mean?

a) in Vietnam you place enemy units where the placement table tells you, so if it is in the same card as a US unit... tough luck.

b) in Vietnam you follow the normal rules except the case where the placemente table tells you, explicitly, to place the enemy in the same card as a US unit.

Which one is correct?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Below is the relevant section of the rules (9.2.2) with a bolded portion that is my own emphasis.

Quote:

An enemy package may appear on a card containing US units if
called for by the Placement Tables...

So cards with US units are okay. All the restrictions on placement refer to cards with enemy units, PDFs, or VOFs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember right Ben attributes this to the network of tunnels that existed in Vietnam, that would allow this situation to actually happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaanDo wrote:
If I remember right Ben attributes this to the network of tunnels that existed in Vietnam, that would allow this situation to actually happen.

Hey Ron! Yep - the thick jungle terrain also helped and I believe I read that Vietnamese soldiers would sometimes stay hidden in an area in anticipation of US soldiers coming through and that they could stay hidden even within the operational parameters of a US patrol (i.e. within the American's very midst). They would then emerge when discovered, at night, or when signaled by their command to do so.

Or I could have just watched too many Vietnam War movies as a kid...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
CaanDo wrote:

Hey Ron! Yep - the thick jungle terrain also helped and I believe I read that Vietnamese soldiers would sometimes stay hidden in an area in anticipation of US soldiers coming through and that they could stay hidden even within the operational parameters of a US patrol (i.e. within the American's very midst). They would then emerge when discovered, at night, or when signaled by their command to do so.

Anecdotal evidence, but my father was in the Marine Corps Force Recon in Vietnam, and he mentioned being involved in several ambushes by Viet-Cong forces . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
Noonespecial wrote:
CaanDo wrote:

Anecdotal evidence, but my father was in the Marine Corps Force Recon in Vietnam, and he mentioned being involved in several ambushes by Viet-Cong forces . . .

There we have it then as I would trust his opinion far more than anything I could ever say on this subject. I've only read about the conflict and seen (probably too many) movies about it. If your father is still alive then please let him know that at least one anonymous poster on a board game website certainly thanks him for his service and wishes him all the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
If your father is still alive then please let him know that at least one anonymous poster on a board game website certainly thanks him for his service and wishes him all the best.

Make that two thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Granger44 wrote:
Below is the relevant section of the rules (9.2.2) with a bolded portion that is my own emphasis.

Quote:

An enemy package may appear on a card containing US units if
called for by the Placement Tables...

So cards with US units are okay. All the restrictions on placement refer to cards with enemy units, PDFs, or VOFs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls