Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys! So if your like me, you love Concordia and think its a fantastic game but the wooden bits totally kill the theme. Because I love this game so much, I want to get some nice replacement bits to boost that "I'm a Roman Merchant family" feel. I'm planning my "pimp job" and have come up with this:

Replacing boat "colonists" with plastic ones from Catan Seafarers.

http://www.spielematerial.de/en/game-components/catan-all-ab...
I figure I'll paint the sails on the brown ones the player colors or maybe paint all of it (hulls brown, sails colored).

Replacing person "colonist" with wagons from Struggle For Rome by Mayfair Games.

The "person colonist" just doesn't fit to me. A covered wagon though makes more historical sense. Traveling to the new city with my wagon full of wares ready to set up shop. Hopefully I can buy spares from Mayfair because I really don't want to cannibalize my copy of the real game. I know Civilization has wagons but I haven't found where I can order just the wagons. If anyone knows where I can get mini wagons like these please let me know.

Replacing the coins with metal "Roman" coins from Conquistador Games.

These things are awesome and I can't wait to here the clinking sound the coins make during play.

Replacing the houses with something more "themey". I've searched for roman buildings and have come up with not much. If anyone can suggest a part that I can use, awesome. Otherwise, I'll keep searching.

The wooden goods bits are great so I won't replace them. If anyone else is planning on pimping out their copy, please reply with your plans. Also, if anyone can help with finding roman houses/building, I will love you forever!!!

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
Hi guys! So if your like me, you love Concordia and think its a fantastic game but the wooden bits totally kill the theme.

I'm like you.
I'm like you.
I'm the exact opposite of you.

Wooden bits kill the theme? Plastic makes my flesh creep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:

Wooden bits kill the theme? Plastic makes my flesh creep.

Meh, personal preference. The wooden bits are too abstract for my liking in this particular game. Wooden bits are great but I think Concordia would benefit aesthetically from a plastic make-over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Montoya
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
THE NEW LOGO SUCKS!
badge
ERNIE FOREVER!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts/pantheon

or

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts/hovel-green

They are grey and green, but you can paint them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok...the player's colors in the game are R,G,Y and Black...if I used plastic mini's, in sets, but of diff colors...would it work? are there other things needed when you play that require the orig 4 colors to be used? (like cards, map loactions, tokens, etc.)...want to check before I buy...thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
ok...the player's colors in the game are R,G,Y and Black...if I used plastic mini's, in sets, but of diff colors...would it work? are there other things needed when you play that require the orig 4 colors to be used? (like cards, map locations, tokens, etc.)...want to check before I buy...thanks...

Red, Green, Black, Yellow and Blue.
Per color, there are 3 boats, 3 land "colonists", 15 houses and a scoring marker. I'm not going to bother with the scoring token. There's nothing else that I feel needs pimping. I'm upgrading the coins but you don't have too. The coins are fine are they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yldarr wrote:

I found both of these in a google search earlier. The Pantheon is too big but I might consider the hovel. Thanks for your reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
Yldarr wrote:

I found both of these in a google search earlier. The Pantheon is too big but I might consider the hovel. Thanks for your reply!
I ordered the pantheons for my Antike game!!! (already have ships, legions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Chondroulis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Trying to find time to play...
mbmbmbmbmb
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
Hi guys! So if
your like me, you love Concordia and think its a fantastic game but the
wooden bits totally kill the theme. Because I love this game so much, I
want to get some nice replacement bits to boost that "I'm a Roman
Merchant family" feel.
I also like Concordia very much but i can't find any theme on it. I don't think that any theme was killed by wooden bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I'm kind of on the fence about theming.

On the one hand, I do feel like a rich noble trying my best to occupy regions, using my workforce to help with the ins and outs, but on the other, the incorporation of the Gods into the game does seem a bit of a stretch. No complaints here, just a feeling.

However, I applaud the addition of the informative historic look at the time period with the rulebook. I don't know European history very well, so it's cool to be educated as I learn the game's inspiration.

I find the money flow to be very appropriate. I never found myself strapped for cash, even when spending a lot turn after turn. Seems to make sense considering the rich noble thing. In some games, I'd be agonizing over my funds. Not this one. Plenty of ways to make sesterstii... sestertii... sester... eh, money!

Speaking of which, I think I may also find some cool coin upgrades, though I like the thick stock and visuals they used for the game.

What I may do is find a neat antique bowl of some sort to put the coins in. ...and maybe another for the goods. Dumping them out on the table just seems... uncivilized... for such great nobles as my wife and I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:
I don't know, I'm kind of on the fence about theming.

On the one hand, I do feel like a rich noble trying my best to occupy regions, using my workforce to help with the ins and outs, but on the other, the incorporation of the Gods into the game does seem a bit of a stretch. No complaints here, just a feeling.

However, I applaud the addition of the informative historic look at the time period with the rulebook. I don't know European history very well, so it's cool to be educated as I learn the game's inspiration.

I find the money flow to be very appropriate. I never found myself strapped for cash, even when spending a lot turn after turn. Seems to make sense considering the rich noble thing. In some games, I'd be agonizing over my funds. Not this one. Plenty of ways to make sesterstii... sestertii... sester... eh, money!

Speaking of which, I think I may also find some cool coin upgrades, though I like the thick stock and visuals they used for the game.

What I may do is find a neat antique bowl of some sort to put the coins in. ...and maybe another for the goods. Dumping them out on the table just seems... uncivilized... for such great nobles as my wife and I.

YES! This is the feeling I feel as well playing it. The Roman coins were using I got as an extra in a KS campaign so they will fit nicely. We use some cheap wooden dip trays with three compartments for money. Seems like something they would do in antiquity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:

like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the money looks to be the same as Antike's money...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MacGerdts wrote:
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:

like this?

Thanks for posting in my thread, Mac! Absolutely love your game!

I could see these bowls on a table over flowing with coins and fruit, papyrus/parchment contract scrolls arranged in a pile to the side, some incense burning in the background, while Roman merchants haggle over a shipment of fine cloth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, those bowls are nice... thumbsup

How much do you want for them? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another option for metal coin upgrades:

Here is a link to the Kickstarter that ends April 20, 2014.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fantasycoinhq/fantasy-c...
(scroll down to see the Roman coins)

It looks like they will also sell the coins later at a higher price.

Edit: they posted updated better quality pictures, so I replaced the ones here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Litespeed Rider wrote:
Here is another option for metal coin upgrades:

Here is a link to the Kickstarter that ends April 20, 2014.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fantasycoinhq/fantasy-c...
(scroll down to see the Roman coins)

It looks like they will also sell the coins later at a higher price.

Whoa! Those are nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MacGerdts wrote:
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:

like this?

Ooh, those are perfection. Now I have a sudden need for little bowls that look like they came from ancient Rome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls