2 Games - 6 players

Bias based on winning:
1 win

Bias based on owning:
None

Brief back story
Race to the lost temple.

1000 meter view:
This is a role drafting game (similar to Citadels) where you attempt to be the first player to the temple. To start, a random role is assigned that determines start spot, amount of gems, and amount of machetes. Starting with the player in last, draft one of nine roles where each role will potentially advance your spot in different ways such as swapping, step moves, fast moves, etc. Once everyone has drafted, go through each of the nine roles (in a preset order) and allow each player who has drafted the role to collect a gem and take the roles action(s). There are a few spots where you get a random reward or have to lose a machete to cut through the jungle. First to the set temple wins the game.

Liked:
- I would call this simplified Citadels. I would say it almost scratches the role drafting itch, but it doesn't out class Mission Red Planet.
- Fast game.
- I think there's more strategy here then meets the eye. Will comment with more plays.

Didn't Like:
- Probably need to sleeve role cards. Same for Citadels.
- Characters are a little tall and fall over.
- Visuals on board are a little hard to see and could have been displayed better. For example, why have a village on the map that is then covered by a chance tile.

What did I learn about playing well:
Both games were won by a big canoe move. To win, make this happen. To not lose, don't let this happen.

Rating:
On BGG I gave it 7.5/10.

Real Verdict:
I argue with my wife that a ten rating scale is irrelevant for restaurants. I either won't go back, will go back, or want to go back.
Will go back meeple

Peter out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
badge
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how at the end your review peters out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great review!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edko Fuzz
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review! However playing the Canoe is not always that easy, because to truly take advantage of it you need a few gems, and it's easy that the Thief calls for the Canoe when someone has gathered a few gems. It's a fun, short game to have some laughs. I like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kumar
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Quick and fun, not too serious. Definitely fills a niche in my collection.

Usually if someone does a big canoe move it's somewhat negated by someone following with the child anyways. Then you have to start watching out for the Shaman as well.

Thanks for the review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls