Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combat check rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Say i encounter a goblin

I have a d4 strength

I have a blessing that adds one die and a longsword for a d8 and d6 to discard.

I also have a power

Can I use the two cards, my strength, and power to check?

Whats the limitations? if I use the poer I cant also use weapon?

Any advice works this may be the last thing in not 100 percent on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use all of those. The only restriction to keep in mind is that you cannot use more than one card of the same type for a check. So, for instance, you could not play two blessings on this one check. But a weapon and a blessing is totally allowed. You can play your power any time it's conditions are met. So if you play all that you'd get your d4 strength, plus a d4 for the blessing, a d8 for revealing the sword, a d6 for discarding the sword, plus whatever your power does if it applies to the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Each character can use one card of each type per check or step of an encounter. You can also use any applicable powers once per check or step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
And finally must the cars in my hand meet any requirement to the character? or can I use any card? i just need to make sure the card and or power meet the check

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bscox3 wrote:
And finally must the cars in my hand meet any requirement to the character? or can I use any card? i just need to make sure the card and or power meet the check

If you mean do the cards in your hand have to be a card you'd be allowed to keep in your deck (i.e. can Ezren play a blessing he acquired or was given), the answer is anyone can play a card, even if they can't keep it at the end of the scenario.

Some weapons have penalties if not played by someone proficient withe weapons, spells (at least the ones we've seen so far) are banished if played by someone without the appropriate skill, and some armors have benefits only available to those with the required armor proficiency, but that doesn't prohibit someone from playing them. If the card applies to the situation at hand, it can be played (with the 1 type per player per step of encountering a card/attempting a check limit cited above obviously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Ahhhhhh

Last week i was playing with a character that has zero weapons in her deck. I met the check to obtain it but didnt use it! She could have used it all game but not added it to her deck after the scenario!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, although with such characters you're usually better off using spells for combat checks than weapons, but I guess if you didn't draw the spells you needed you could have been using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
Yep, although with such characters you're usually better off using spells for combat checks than weapons, but I guess if you didn't draw the spells you needed you could have been using it.

Sajan would be a notable exception. He could do some damage with a dexterity weapon like Heavy Crossbow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:

Sajan would be a notable exception. He could do some damage with a dexterity weapon like Heavy Crossbow.

Lini is also a notable exception. She can be pretty mean in bear form with a Greataxe in her hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:

Lini is also a notable exception. She can be pretty mean in bear form with a Greataxe in her hand.

True, that is why I live by the saying, "If you ever go into a restaurant and see a bear wielding a Greataxe, get out of there as fast as you can."

To this day I have never been killed by a bear wielding a Greataxe in a restaurant.

Lini can do the same with Dexterity, so really any weapon is open to her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:

Just to be clear...his power doesn't work if he uses a weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:

Actually, it does.

Sajan's card wrote:
You may play any number of blessings on your combat check; recharge them instead of discarding them.

Nothing in there about playing a weapon. His other power to use dexterity instead of strength for his combat check only works if he doesn't play a weapon.

Sajan's card also wrote:
When you attempt a combat check without playing a weapon, you may use your Dexterity die instead of your Strength die ( and add the Magic trait) ( and the Fire trait).

You often use both of them on the same check, but there is no requirement that they have to be used together.

So he can use a bow and all the blessings he can fit into his hand. That is why his Zen Archer role can be beastly, though even Drunken Master Sajan should probably consider picking up a weapon card feat. Maybe even drop the Amulet of Mighty (of Fiery) Fists to open up a spot for another item.

I dropped the Mighty version from Drunken Master Sajan after I took a weapon card feat. I'd rather he have another potion. Haven't had the opportunity to acquire Fiery Fists yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
I just get confussed because in the play example in the rule book. They just use a card and blessing.

Not the sterength plus the card, blessing and power

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:

Actually, it does.

Sajan's card wrote:
You may play any number of blessings on your combat check; recharge them instead of discarding them.

Nothing in there about playing a weapon. His other power to use dexterity instead of strength for his combat check only works if he doesn't play a weapon.

Sajan's card also wrote:
When you attempt a combat check without playing a weapon, you may use your Dexterity die instead of your Strength die ( and add the Magic trait) ( and the Fire trait).

You often use both of them on the same check, but there is no requirement that they have to be used together.

So he can use a bow and all the blessings he can fit into his hand. That is why his Zen Archer role can be beastly, though even Drunken Master Sajan should probably consider picking up a weapon card feat. Maybe even drop the Amulet of Mighty (of Fiery) Fists to open up a spot for another item.

I dropped the Mighty version from Drunken Master Sajan after I took a weapon card feat. I'd rather he have another potion. Haven't had the opportunity to acquire Fiery Fists yet.

Ah, you're right! Been awhile since I've looked at his card. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.