Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys cool

Firstly I'd like to say that I love this game. But I'm not so happy with it having no expansions. So, I post this thread to know what you think about the use of some parts of W&W expansion with just the base game.

The Premises:
A- I own just the core box.
B- I've read the rulebooks of both expansions and also have seen pictures.
C- I've chosen W&W as my favourite among both (e.g. I like the changes made to unit cards and combat results rules).
D- Sadly I can't buy W&W now, so I've decided to include some of its new mechanics using home made components.

Well, after share with you these premises, I'd like to know what you think about my ideas to upgrade the core game with the parts of the W&W exp. that I see more viable for me to do on my own.

1. (The only part I've already done) I put little stickers on my unit cards, in the same place of the new revised unit cards, showing the health value of each level/utit. I gess that's everything I should do in order to actualize them. If I'm wrong and there's something I'm missing here, please let me know.

2. I'd like to use the new gobernment cards. Do you think the new gobernments are fully playable using just the base game? If the answer is afirmative, I simply plan to put
"paste ups" over the text of the old ones.

3.I'd like to use the new available City Action: Building Program, and of course I won't need more than a few small chits to apply this to my games; though, my question again is: do you think this new mechanic could go well with just the core game?

4. I'd love to make my own Social Policies cards. But again, I'm not sure If they would work fine with just the base game, specially taking into account that I wouldn't have the new 4 tech cards (since it's more difficult to make them equal as the originals, and thereby, they would be easy to recognize)

Thanks for reading this. I sincerely appreciate all your contributions.

Finally, I just would like to ask(even knowing the answer): Why they just don't sell a Upgrade Pack for owners of the base game that cannot afford the spend or just don't want to buy everything released for this game? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will have tons of fun with your home made components
I'd make tech cards as well, the only problem you could have is that research is chosen simultanously and you don't want the other players to know your choice, but why not just cover the card with your hand and reveal simultaneously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FinrondFelagund wrote:
1. (The only part I've already done) I put little stickers on my unit cards, in the same place of the new revised unit cards, showing the health value of each level/utit.

That's probably the best part of WaW.

FinrondFelagund wrote:
2. I'd like to use the new gobernment cards. Do you think the new gobernments are fully playable using just the base game?

Definitely. Just use the new governments. Likewise for Building Program.

FonrondFelagund wrote:
4. I'd love to make my own Social Policies cards. But again, I'm not sure If they would work fine with just the base game, specially taking into account that I wouldn't have the new 4 tech cards (since it's more difficult to make them equal as the originals, and thereby, they would be easy to recognize)

I think you could do the social policies as well. They're not that complicated. You would miss the culture cards that work with them, but that's not that bad.

W.r.t tech cards: ditch the tech deck. It's cumbersome and uncomfortable., and takes a lot of precious table space Just use a cheat sheet, there's a couple in the files section. People write down their techs.

FonrondFelagund wrote:
Finally, I just would like to ask(even knowing the answer): Why they just don't sell a Upgrade Pack for owners of the base game that cannot afford the spend or just don't want to buy everything released for this game? soblue

What do you mean? The expansions ARE the "upgrade pack".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FinrondFelagund wrote:

That is not much of a problem. Just hide the card you want to research before revealing them. Afterwards, it doesn't matter, if they look different.

Quote:
Finally, I just would like to ask(even knowing the answer): Why they just don't sell a Upgrade Pack for owners of the base game that cannot afford the spend or just don't want to buy everything released for this game?

I really cannot complain about the way it is done. You can even use the expansions individually (i.e. you do not need Fame & Fortune to play with Wisdom & Warfare) with the base game.

Also, there really are not that many items released... it's just the base game and the two expansions.

Finally... to answer your question: It would be completely pointless to offer upgrade packs for individual parts. They would not sell a whole lot of them, since the vast majority of players will just buy the expansion (which really is nothing but an "upgrade pack" for the base game).

And... I totally agree with getting Wisdom & Warfare, if you only want one expansion. It's clearly the better one.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoyalRook
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting both of them immediately!!! What are you waiting for? But kudos for DIY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.