Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
111 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Announced expansion for Eldritch Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: new [+] game [+] fantasy [+] games [+] expansion [+] cthulhu [+] ffg [+] horror [+] flight [+] arkham [+] [View All]
Si Barnes
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Just noticed this on FFG!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4647

Looks like it addresses the problem some have found with the lack of encounter cards. I'm loving this game at the moment and really glad to see an expansion so soon.

Stinks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
panos roussakis
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wonderfull news...i'm so excited ))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United Kingdom
southampton
hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Dare To Roll - www.whodaresrolls.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! Other than the fact I just spent half the afternoon writing a review for this, most of the issues being the lack of cards and whether an expansion will rectify this. Doh!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si Barnes
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem to, Mike. I'm particularly pleased to see that they are continuing to add variety to the original GOOs as well.

Well chuffed!

Stinks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Tons of new cards and new Old One. Perfect. Could not honestly ask for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's do some quick math!

88 new research encounters.
That means 88 = N + (4N - 8)
88 = 5N - 32
120 = 5N

That means that there will be 24 unique research encounters for each GOO after the expansion releases!

This looks amazing, and I will be buying it the instant it is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Yig is the only new GOO, then the counts for mysteries and research encounters mean that each GOO will have 6 mysteries and 24 research encounters.

If there's another GOO in that box, then it means we'll have 5 mysteries and 20 research encounters per GOO.

Liking these numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. I actually didn't expect them to release so many new encounter cards for the original GOOs, but they really went to town on it.

I am guessing this is a "mini-expansion" and we will get full blown big box expansion at some point.

Also there are over 100 new encounter cards. Meaning there are also new encounter cards for the cities. I expect there to also be some new other world encounters, might even be one of each expedition, though I think that deck is the most plentiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
If Yig is the only new GOO, then the counts for mysteries and research encounters mean that each GOO will have 6 mysteries and 24 research encounters.

If there's another GOO in that box, then it means we'll have 5 mysteries and 20 research encounters per GOO.

Liking these numbers.

They say in the preview somewhere that Yig gets six, so I guess it will be the same for all of them.

I wasn't expecting that, but am happy that it is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:

Liking these numbers.

It's confirmed that Yig has 6 mysteries, so he's the only GOO in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really, really like how they've bulked out the existing GOOs and introduced just a single new one - keeps the mechanics clean, and adds more variety and character for each GOO.

Autobuy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
Let's do some quick math!

88 new research encounters.
That means 88 = N + (4N - 8)
88 = 5N - 32
120 = 5N

That means that there will be 24 unique research encounters for each GOO after the expansion releases!

This looks amazing, and I will be buying it the instant it is available.

This, this, this!!! WOOT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
More mysteries per GOO is also awesome, variety is king.

Would have been nice to see at least one new investigator, but I guess we have to wait longer for that.

I am guessing the next big box, will be 3 new GOOs (with the new updated mystery and encounter card counts), new investigators, and possibly some sort of new mechanics. (though I don't think it needs it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody O'Bryant
United States
Denton
TX
flag msg tools
First of all, LOVE the art for Yig. A whole bunch of new cards, a new condition, and new spells? Colour me excited.

Also, is anyone else terrified of trying to win before doom avances 10 times? That seems impossible!

However, I am rather intrigued that it i Yig and not Nyarlathotep. Makes me wonder what that code is all about in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

Liking these numbers.

They say in the preview somewhere that Yig gets six, so I guess it will be the same for all of them.

I wasn't expecting that, but am happy that it is the case.

Good catch.

Yeah, my wildest dreams had them adding just 1 one more mystery and 8 more research encounters for each GOO, and they've doubled that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other numbers, though...hm.

They specify "Over 150 new encounter cards", which I'll take to mean 152.

Given that 88 of the encounters are research encounters, that leaves us with 64 non-research encounters.

Non-research encounters have 6 possible "slots" they can go into - Generic, Other World, Expedition, Orange, Purple, Green. If those are split evenly that would be around 10 additional encounters per, but that seems unlikely.

I would guess something along the lines of 8 more encounters in each area (total: 16), which leaves us with around 40 generics? It's hard to say. It could very well be 16 more encounters in each area, which would give 16 (or 18) encounters remaining, for around 6 more generics / OW / expedition - which I could definitely believe.

Even with just this expansion, it's likely that the issue of getting repeated encounters in a single game will be completely obliterated. Over multiple games sure, but even then it'll be reduced.

And with 24 research encounters per GOO, the chances of getting that goddamned Azazoth city encounter will be drastically reduced! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
panos roussakis
msg tools
mbmbmb
Couldn't have made a better expansion myself. Has everything the game needs plus it showcases the way that FFG intends to expand the game aka small expansions with a GOO plus a a little bit of everything. New mysteries for base game's GOO's is awesome too as it adds much needed variety.

Instant buy for me...i intend to haunt my local retailer till he stocks this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ark Atreides
msg tools
mbmbmb
Fantastic news!

I knew when I saw the smaller sized AO cards that they would be appearing in small expansion boxes, would have liked to see another investigator or two as well but ok fair enough.

New conditions sound great, also did you spot the Lost in Time and Space condition on the FFG page?

Hoping for a few more artifacts as well.

24 research encounters sounds great, hope they keep that progression for future expansions and not just keep adding to the original ones without boosting the AOs from expansions. In which case this expansion really is a mini expansion for the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Gardner
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HOOORAY!!I was hoping for new investigators but Yig was the first AO I ever beat in Arkham Horror and I'm ready to end him here in Eldritch. Anyone else see the 10 doom starting value that's exciting and I LOVE the poisoned condition. Also hopefully they'll be a tommy gun in the 100 new asset cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the new AO interacts with Expedition Sites. I'd assume some of his Mysteries do, too. Perfection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shut up and take my money!
Will be getting it as soon as it is released. So excited!

Poison mist looks awesome! More fighting power for spellcasters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new expansion is a huge improvement to the base game. The additional cards "fill in the blanks" that the base game had. The new poisoned condition is impressive and a huge thematic tie in for Yig. Most impressive is the rounding out of mysteries that the new expansion offers in the sense that there is more options for players that cycle through these cards quickly.

Some of the items and artifacts are; as in any expansion; a welcome addition as well i feel you can never have too many of these…

Some may feel that this should have come with the base game, but its great to see an expansion so quickly after release.

Now the big issue will be the insert, or lack there of…

FYI an old insert from an AH box works wonders with a few plano's…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cruvyn wrote:
However, I am rather intrigued that it i Yig and not Nyarlathotep. Makes me wonder what that code is all about in the rulebook.

They might be leaving him for a big box expansion. I do find it very odd as well, though. I certainly hope they include more coded messages so we know what the deal is with Nyarlathotep. I think I might even get to work making an app that helps crack the EH code...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |