Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Nations» Forums » Variants

Subject: easy way to fix the unexpected randomness while keeping the variety rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
To those who think this game is too swingy because you only use some of the cards every game that they cannot predict what will happen.It is simple to fix. take 4(5 for first age) * (2+number of players) cards(minus a safe factors related to third row cards reservation, if you care to remember less cards.) per age. Show them to everyone. Now you can expect what will come out eventually and still keep the variety from game to game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
You can adjust the percentage of cards shown to players before the start of each age,to fimd the sweet spot of balancing variety and predictivity for your team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure that some players are fine with the game as is, but I am considering using a balanced tableau for progression board. Similar totals of the various types of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Add a few more cards to the third row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
β€œIt's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider it a challenge, when some cards are in short supply. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisada Ransibrahmanakul
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkapi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my group use this fix numbers for each age. All random pick

8 for Building
4 for each card type

work great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
I very much like your idea Sisada because cards can at times be so perverse as to ruin a game. However might I suggest a minor modification? Instead of a split of 8 buildings and 4 of each of the rest why not make it 6 buildings, 3 of each of the rest, and then a random mix of all cards to make up the balance of your deck.

In this way you will get a decent basic mix ensuring a satisfactory game but nobody will know the precise number of each type in play, which will vary from gane to game - giving interest as intended but not varying so dramatically as to totally unbalance play.

Derek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.