8 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Running my first Tourny. Advice please. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
So I'm running my first Tourny. It's a small town and I only expect 5 - 15 people turning out. Any advice on how to do bracketing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who's run small tournaments, what I do is random for the first round, then pair winners against winners for round 2. After that, you should have a small number of 2-0 players. At that point cut to the top 2 or 4. If 4, then 1v4 and 2v3, with winners of those matches in the finals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Verhelst
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an online program. I haven't used it yet, but it looks like it works pretty slick.

http://www.houseofholden.net/xwing/app/xwing.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you will have access to a computer for the event I would recommend using this free software available in the downloads section at AFM http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/ Just choose the X-Wing option and go from there. Pretty user friendly compared to most I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
I'm stealthy, like a ninja.
badge
I may be a pretty shitty boyfriend, but it turns out I’m actually a pretty damn good babysitter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend you read up on swiss tournaments.

5 points for a win, 3 points for a win on time, 1 point for a each for a draw, 5 points for a Bye.

Example 9 man (random odd number)

Quote:

Initial Ranking
1. A
2. B
3. C
4. D
5. E
6. F
7. G
8. H
9. I

Quote:

Round 1
A-H, A wins
B-G, G wins on time
C-F, C wins
D-E, E wins
I, Bye

Reranked,
1. A:5
2. C:5
3. E:5
4. I:5
5. G:3
6. D:0
7. F:0
8. B:0
9. H:0

Quote:

Round 2
A-I, A wins
C-E, E wins
G-D, D wins
F-B, F wins on time
H, Bye

Reranked,
1. A:10
2. E:10
3. C:5
4. D:5
5. H:5
6. I:5
7. G:3
8. F:3
9. B:0

Quote:

Round 3
A-E, A wins
C-I, C wins
D-H, D wins
G-F, G wins
B, Bye/Out (some tournaments do not give the win points for a final bye, I will not in this example)

Final rankings

Reranked,
1. A:15

2. C:10
2. D:10
2. E:10

5. G:8

6. H:5
6. I:5

8. F:3

9. B:0

If you have 2nd and lower prizes, you can use a tie breaker (points remaining when winning is common)

I hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
R5Don4 wrote:
If you will have access to a computer for the event I would recommend using this free software available in the downloads section at AFM http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/ Just choose the X-Wing option and go from there. Pretty user friendly compared to most I've seen.

Wholeheartedly agree with using this little app. It may not look like much, but it's got it where it counts

Unfortunately, if you're on a Mac you'll need to have some way of running it in a windows environment (not a problem if you already use Bootcamp).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
I was thinking of these rules. Let me know if you have any input.

Here's how it's going to play out, there will be four rounds. The first round will be 80 points and will last forty minutes. Then a 20 minute break. The Second round will be a 100 point list and IT MUST consist of the ships and pilots used in round 1 but upgrades can be swapped out. It will last one hour. The third round will be 120 points and it must consist of the pilots and ships used in the previous two rounds but upgrades can be swapped out. 75 minutes. The championship will be the winning 120 point lists of the top two players and will be the only game in the fourth round. Anyone who wants to stick around and play team games is welcome to do so. Scoring is tentative but I think Wins will be awarded as 5 points plus 1 point for every remaining 10 points of ships/upgrades you've won by rounded down (so if you had a total victory with one Academy Pilot (12 points) left on the table you would be awarded 6 points. 5 for the victory, 1 for having a 12 point differential. A modified win will be worth 2 points plus the same differential. A loss will be worth zero points and pity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy betsch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Those are some very unconventional rules. Convention is 100 point lists all day, with somewhere between 55 and 75 minutes per round, depending on daily time limit, and scoring is generally 5 for a full win (tabled opponent or 33+ points differential), 3 for a modified win (32 or less point differential), 1 for a tie (to both players), and 0 for a loss, with nothing for having ships remaining at the end.

That said, if it works for you, run with it, but I reccomend not stating that scoring is tenative when you start the day. The scoring system needs to be set in stone so players know what to expect as they play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls