Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I were talking about starting up a campaign but wouldn't be able to play too frequently. Because of that we were toying with the notion of rotating who played the overlord so one person isn't doing it for a couple months straight. On paper it doesn't seem that bad but I was wondering if anyone has tried this before and if so how it worked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Our group did it because I got burned out on the OL and another guy really wanted to give it a go. It worked just fine. Our group had just as much fun with each individual quest so it didn't matter that we switched around. I guess it depends on how competitive you want to be on the campaign level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the small-box-expansions, you could try the mini campaigns instead (about a 10hr game)...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We've done it, because one newer player wanted to play overlord, but then after a few quests he decided that he wasn't nearly ready for the increase in what was expected of him. So one of the hero players switched to overlord and he took over the hero.

Our current overlord has complained that the previous one left him off in a bad position, with no good Relics and very little bonus XP. Other than that, it worked fine.

However, if you know beforehand that that's what you're going to do, you might run into a bit of biasing, intentionally or not, where the overlord doesn't really care if he wins or not, because he will eventually be on the hero side. That could affect the game, but probably not in a measurable way as long as your players are honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Our group rotates the overlord each quest and we haven't had any problems. Each player has their own hero which they upgrade for the course of the campaign, while also having their own overlord decks (including experience, rumor cards, etc) Having the separate decks allows everyone to spend experience and play cards differently, while keeping it more of a mystery for the other players.

Of course, this only works if everyone can switch between the hero and OL mindset when they take turns!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls