BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: New member, New collector to board games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Wharton
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Hello, I'm Aisle3. New member to Board game geek and new collector to the hobby of board game collecting.

Have a few questions for you all out there:

1. What to look for when buying games?

2. Do condition to games count?

My list of games so far:

Charlie's Angels
Easy money
Hangman
Pay day
Masterpiece

Thanks for looking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt A
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll I'm glad I'm the first to say welcome and enjoy the BGG. There is a lot to take in but the community is great. Carcasone was the first game that came to mind that will get you into the swing of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

There are two main types of board game collecting, though many folks blend the two to one degree or another.

If you collect games for value, then condition is paramount, and you have a lot to learn about which games to seek, depending on what focus you might wish to have for your collection.

If you collect games to play, the condition is far less important, and the main thing is simply to get the best deals you can for the games you want to play. I myself, as many here, am an avid thrift shopper, because I buy games to play, and I don't mind if a game is used as long as it's still in decent playable condition.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome welcome.

If you search the database you should be able to find the games you have, and then be able able to "add" them to your collection on site (if that's what you ant to do).

I am by no means an expert on pricing (second hand) board games since I pretty much only buy new, and some (online) stores give discounts for "dinged or dented".

If the game is in print or out of print will be a large factor in the price of a game. Check Betrayal at House on the Hill for some horror stories about the price of that between first and second edition printing.

With that said, check the forum for the game you are after, usually there'll be some discussion about the price, or there will be boardgamegeek market place prices as an indication.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, welcome to the Geek. I think you'll find this a (mostly) a great community of folks excited to share their knowledge and experience. As far as your questions:

1. What to look for? Well, this could probably be an entire textbook, but I would say never to buy a game without thoroughly scoping out its page here on BGG and watching a few videos on how it plays and what it looks like. It can be very tempting when standing in a store with a shiny box in your hands to just take a risk and buy it. But do that a couple of times and you'll soon find yourself with a closet full of games you're not that excited about. There is a lot of junk out there.

2. Whether the condition of your games is important is really a matter of preference for you. If you plan to resell your games at some point in the future, then you probably want to try to keep them in the best condition you can reasonably manage. It also matters insofar as it might affect gameplay. For instance, you don't want the condition of cards or tiles to give away what is supposed to be hidden information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great username, BTW. I can hear the announcement in my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!
I would say that you want to look for games with themes that you really enjoy - the game will be that much more interesting and fun. Whether it's mountain climbing, dungeon crawling, or food, there are usually a few games in a category that you will like.
The other thing, and this will come after playing a lot of different kinds of games, is finding the mechanism that you enjoy. Card drafting, worker placement, and area control are just a few of the different ways that games can be played.
There is a lot to enjoy in the world of board gaming!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said .

Welcome to the disease!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
mbmbmbmbmb
You've come to the wrong place. It's addiction here! Some things to do now:

1) Prepare some space for game shelves and table space
2) Look for board game meetups so you can go play a game you might like
3) Research the games before you buy
4) You can research by watching videos here or youtube
5) You can research by seeing reviews on Amazon
6) Watch some video game play through. We have several really great people on here that do play through of a game so you can see it un-boxed, setup, or even play by play
7) Don't rush in too quickly because you'll soon find you could have had a much better game and once you have collected a pile, you won't be able to play them all.
8) Spend some time in the outdoors so your health doesn't go to the birds.
9) Welcome to your new humbling experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Jensen
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
utilize the database when buying new games. Usually you can say anything below 5 stars is lacking. 5 stars is decent, 6 is good, 7+ is great
I don't buy board games anymore with looking up their rating and reading comments. If you need suggestions of games, check out the top list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
aisle3 wrote:
1. What to look for when buying games?
2. Do condition to games count?
1. Research. Is this a game that my group will want to play more than once? (You need experience to be able to say this.) Don't become a collector, become a player of games!

2. Yes. They have to be complete for one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls