Mikko Saari
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!

I created a new math trade tool, mostly because it seemed like a fun thing to try. Also I thought I could use something that runs on OS X. My program is written in Java, so it should run on pretty much anything.

Right now the tool has two different algorithms to use. First is growing algorithm, which is by Matthew Gray and used in his no-risk math trade resolution tool. Second is based on how TradeGenie works. For that one I have two variations: standard version, which is probably inferior to TradeGenie in any respect and a quick version, which can be quite good for fast resolutions.

Why someone would want to use my resolver? Well, there's the platform issue to start with. Matthew Gray's tool is multi-platform, of course, but it's nicer to run the software on your own computer. You can let it run overnight without feeling guilty of using Matthew's resources.

Second, both the growing algorithm and the quick TradeGenie algorithm can produce good results faster than TradeGenie. A math trade on ran on Finnish metal music forum TradeGenie found 66 trades in two minutes and nothing better in such a long time that I was happy with that. The quick TradeGenie algorithm in my resolver finds 72 trades in just three seconds. That can be nice, if you're like me and don't like waiting.

Of course, nothing stops anybody from trying different trade resolvers to see which produces the best results. If anybody is willing to try my resolver, whether they end up using the results or not, I'd be delighted.

As I said, it's a Java program, so your system should be able to run Java. I'm not sure if there's a version requirement, but at least Java 1.5 runs it, probably 1.4 as well. It's very rough around the edges right now, but not particularly harder to use than TradeGenie.

If you want to test the program, e-mail me at msaari at iki.fi.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.