Popular Tags: [View All]
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How high is it? Is it chaos, randomness or just luck from dice or a combination there of?

The guy in the video review seemed to stress that it is very high overall so just trying to get more opinions as this could scare me off

I don't see many comments about it in comments or threads but it seems the Plague is pretty nasty, but are you really only subjected to this if you are pushing your luck? (and in the risky areas, or do you pretty much have to go in those areas to progress in game?)

Edit - Oh would also like to know if the really high luck elements could be tweaked easily if someone was opposed to them. Also curious about what rule changes Uwe has planned?

TIA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for the rule changes, but the game does involve rolling dice for combat (if you have combat).

The bad event things are determined randomly also. You certainly don't have to enter a plague area but the trouble is when the plague happens in an area where you already are. That is a die roll for survival.

There are cards for events and some other things to hang onto and use. So what you get is random.

Uwe has said he is getting rid of a "murder" card that basically let you kill anybody--and no randomness to it (I'd want a die roll for something like that!)

You draw nobles randomly and one of Uwe's changes is an "attribute" deck, so each noble will have some sort of ability or quirk. Some are better than others and I think a couple are not good at all. I personally like that a lot, but it could be called randomness or chaos (or life).

I read the English version of the 2011 game and remember feeling pretty good about it, but like every change I have heard from Uwe. The nobles used to differ only in gender...I prefer the chaos of differences there myself.

But let's hear from folks who have played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Ferrari
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fief is a game which has a good share of luck, but it can be controlled a bit.

The 1st randomness you'll find is in the cards.
New characters come with cards, useful boons and nasty banes hit the players through the cards, etc.
However the luck factor is lessened by various game design choices:
the cards are divided in 2 decks; one with characters and some other special titles, one with disasters and beneficial cards.
You can always draw 2 good cards. Bad cards, while striking a random part of the map, are limited to 3 each turn, they can have no effect and 2 of them be countered. They also last just for 1 turn
You always know when a disaster can occur so you can choose to not draw a card, etc.

It's very difficult to be without a lord and you can always trade with other people.
Ladies are quite important because of the D'Arc card and of marriages so even if you have no males you can be a powerful negotiator.
Even powerful cards' uses can be preempted with a bit of forethought.

The 2nd random aspect is the Combat because you roll dice.
But the number of dice is determined by your choices, i.e. the number of troops you employ for the battle.
Moreover the results are in a quite narrow range: each die has 0-1-1-2-2-3 on its sides.

Tl;Dr:
Luck is here but it's not a total chaos. You can lessen the effects of randomness. And remember this is a game involving diplomacy so if you are hit hard by bad luck you can try to negotiate your resurrection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Mattray
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone is right, great explanation !

When you know the game, you can anticipate and/or think about bad luck when you choose your strategy.

For exemple, avoid all your characters stay in the same bishopric, so even with bad luck and a plague calamity, you will be sure to have at least one surviving ...
Or keep a good weather or tunnel card in hands (or negociate to exchange one) if you know that you absolutly need to move next turn, so you will be able to cancel a bad weather calamity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plague is the only random thing that can become really frustrating. All the others (die, cards) you can quite easily control or avoid or counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all some great replies there.

I think what it boils down to is, will the game unfairly put someone out of the game (likely due to Plague effect) just due to a random factor, and if so, could that factored be houseruled to be a weaker effect?

It sounds like it easily could be, instead of it wiping out 50% of forces for example, it could be 25%, still nasty but now not game breaking.

It seems Uwe might even be tweaking the rules in this direction for some things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Ferrari
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:
Thanks all some great replies there.

I think what it boils down to is, will the game unfairly put someone out of the game (likely due to Plague effect) just due to a random factor, and if so, could that factored be houseruled to be a weaker effect?

It sounds like it easily could be, instead of it wiping out 50% of forces for example, it could be 25%, still nasty but now not game breaking.

It seems Uwe might even be tweaking the rules in this direction for some things.

You are never put out of the game. Plague remove 50% of your forces and can kill your lords but being an effect which hits bishropic and because 7 fiefs out of 8 are never entirely inside the same bishropic you can easily keep one of your lord alive.
Moreover you don't lose your income, you can negotiate if you are very weak and other players can help you.

Why should they help you?
Because you are an enemy of their enemies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only is that a great answer, but a great reason to want the kick starter version of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Mattray
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DocOne wrote:

You are never put out of the game. Plague remove 50% of your forces and can kill your lords ...

Precision : 50% of the counters (yours and your opponent's) in a bishopric rounded down.

So for exemple if you have 2 knights + 2 sergents on a village, and two lonely sergents at 2 others villages, you will loose only 2 sergents (those stacked with knights instead of the knights, your choice) , so 2 strentgh points among 10, so only 20% of your forces !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls