Forbidden Island» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Forbidden Island Review =) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xueying Zhu
United States
California
flag msg tools
Forbidden Island reminds me of a video game because of its cover and the artwork. The game is about an island, where a team of 2 to 4 players have to work together to capture four treasures before it sinks.

When I first saw the game, I saw that it would have to be a highly cooperative game instead of players against players. The pieces are made very well, and it’s well organized. The metal box is very sturdy, well decorated, and appealing too. The layout tiles that make up the game board are wonderful. You can make a different game board each time you play, so each time game play runs differently. The artifact pieces are very well made. The components are attractive, well illustrated, and solid. The individual player tokens are plain, functional, but not too great. The game aid provided is a flood meter and its red marker. Flood cards determine what islands you flood. And action cards allow doing things like flying a helicopter to another island or the opportunity to shore up (un-flood) an island.

The box insert is very organized, with a slot for each of the treasure pieces to sit comfortably. To play, it only takes a few minutes to set up and then you’re ready to have some fun! It also only takes you a few minutes to clean up and put away the pieces too! The rulebook's composed of 8 pages, so it’s short! The rulebook provides you many pictures with explanatory notes for more information. When I first read the rulebook, I didn’t understand what it said. I decided to read it again, but still, I didn’t get it. Was it just me? With the help of my gaming buddies we figured it out.

The goal or objective is to work with your teammates and to capture all treasures and take off with all your teammates in a helicopter on a certain tile before the whole island sinks. The strategy is to work with your teammates and know and use each other’s special abilities while sharing treasure cards. This allows you to use those abilities or cards when you need them. My opinion is that, to win, you and your teammates have to cooperate at a real high level, and keep communicating all the time.

The goods points would be for the attractive metal box, the decorative artifacts and pieces. The graphics and the design on the layout tiles are amazing. Really, the flood and action cards are fancy too. I like how the game doesn't use the dice because in my opinion dice are boring and rely too much on luck. I also like how it’s a cooperative game which is actually fun. It’s also really cool how it’s a thematic strategy game, and the game and the theme just go so well together. Well, the only bad thing about this game is the rulebook; it’s not clear enough for people new into gaming. My overall rate for this game would be 9.5!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Xue. Your first review is short,sweet, and to the point.

You got some immediate thumbs and I must say you did a good job...others seem to agree. For your first dice-less game, as well as your first cooperative game I am glad that you not only learned a new game, but enjoyed it enough to play it more than the required three times for the review! I must also say that you and your team play this better than I do,as I have yet to beat the game, and you have already cooperated your way to three wins! I am jealous! Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
What a well-written review. Very impressive for a first-timer. Welcome to BGG! I hope we see more of you around the 'Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls