Subject: Starting ship re-rolls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are folks handling the option to re-roll starting ship configurations? Do you declare a turn order for this? Does each player roll once before anyone rolls twice, or does each player exercise their option or not before the next player rolls at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that rerolls are part of your turn / your three actions per turn.
So you take your three actions before someone else starts hier/her turn.
This means, if you want to, you reroll up to three times before the next player starts with his/her turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I am only referring to the ship configuration roll you make at the start of the game. The rule book says you are allowed to re-roll your starting ships once if you like, and then the player with the lowest ship total becomes the first player. I'm just seeing how players resolve a 'who re-rolls first' situation in this instance, as how that plays out may affect the other players' decisions to re-roll or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably just have everyone roll and re-roll in secret and reveal simultaneously when everyone's satisfied with their dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After rolling your starting ships immediately rerolling them if you're not happy with the result seems to be fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen the order of the initial rerolls be an issue. But if your players feel the need for it, I think rolling and rerolling in secret is the best way to go (as long as you don't also have cheating players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree it should make no difference on order. Start player is the lowest total once dice are set, but no one should be basing their starting ship decisions on that, and out of the gate other players' decisions should have little effect on yours, because the ships change frequently anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually re- roll in no particular order after the first roll, especially since at the start of the game you're pretty far away from eachother and the first couple of turns are usually employed constructing your second cube.

I guess if people start whining I'll make everyone roll in secret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls