Popular Tags: [View All]
Tagore Nakornchai
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've decided that I really want to give this new Romulan build of mine a go.

This'll be my 2nd serious tourney, and since last time I was playing Feds, this time I felt I should do something different - do the cloaking game, and play the Romulans instead. I have one of every Romulan ship so far, except the Aj'rmr and the Praetus - but I can pick up the Praetus before the tourney if people think cloaked mines are *that* good.
Any and all feedbak ould be appreciated

IRW Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Massacre (3)
Plasma Torps (5 - UF)
Tactical Officer (3)

IRW Khazara (30
Alidar Jarok (4)
plasma Torps (5 - UF)
Artificial Quantum Singularity (3)

RIS Vo 16
Donatra (4)
Interphase Generator (3)

Plan is to fly in a relatively tight formation and make the most of Donatra's passive buff. Hit hard and hit fast with all sorts of free buffs and re-rolls, using Sensor Echo to get out of the way of return fire.

If I do somehow manage to get my hands on an Aj'rmr (i.e. A Romulan Pilot), I'll swap out the Plasma on the Valdore for the Pilot and add counterattack to the Khazara.:

IRW Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Massacre (3)
Tactical Officer (3 - UF)
Romulan Pilot (2 - UF)

IRW Khazara (30
Alidar Jarok (4)
Plasma Torps (5 - UF)
Artificial Quantum Singularity (3)
Counter Attack (3)

RIS Vo 16
Donatra (4)
Interphase Generator (3)

Admiral's Orders: United Force (0)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Moore
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I like the idea of using the Vo as a fleet buffer, but my recommendation would be to dump the plasma torpedoes. I attended the Op 5 event near where I live and fought 1 Romulan and 2 Klingon players. Torpedoes will have limited chances to get target locks and with those Tactical Officers you may want to save the few locks you can get on cloakers for them. If you're using the I.R.W. Valdore and I.R.W. Khazara you should get close to the same amount of dice you'd get with using the Torpedoes.

I ran the following list:

I.R.W. Khazara (30)
Romulan Flagship (10)
Toreth (4)
Invasion Plans (5)
Massacre (3)
Interphase Generator (3)
Varel (10 - UF)
Tactical Officer (3)
Romulan Pilot (2)

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Alidar Jarok (4)
Counter Attack (3)
Tactical Officer (3)

I went 2-1 and the guy who beat me was a Romulan Player who finished 2nd overall with a 3-0 record. I made an error with a move on my Valdore and he lit it up. I killed his Valdore, but it came back due to Cheat Death. Time ran out shortly after, so it was very close. Against the two Klingon builds, Varel, the Interphase Generator, and Alidar Jarok's action/ability were huge in avoiding alpha strikes and letting me kill them first. I'm proud to say I never lost a ship to a Klingon in the tournament, although it was close in my final game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Kaiser
Switzerland
Z├╝rich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the Vo only as a Donatra Carrier makes it too expensive for what it does. If I can give you some shopping recommendations, it would be to get a 2nd Valdore and the Praetus, which is a mainstay in my lists for its ability to pack 2 cloaked mines. The +1 Attack and much better maneuvrability makes me always chose a Valdore over a D'deridex. Ultimately, I think the following list (a modified version of my OP2 list) could be a killer:

Resource: Command Tokens (5)
Admiral's Order: Unified Force (0)

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Tactical Officer (0 Unified Force)
Massacre (0 Unified Force)
Ship SP: 34

Valdore (28)
Valdore (3)
Tactical Officer (0 Unified Force)
Ship SP: 31

I.R.W. Praetus (14)
Donatra (4)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 29

Total Build SP: 99 (+9 from Unified Force), which means you can add both Bochra and Parem, if you care...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Drop the Torps and get Additional Weapons Array in on the Praetus.

It's a shame because the Valdores are such good ships but have little to no versatility with what you can do with them. To get the extra endurance like the D'Ds have, you have to have the expensive attack cancel crew (can't remember her name, from the Apnex) and put the flagship on one to get the tech slot for an IG. If the D'Ds were at 4 attack, I guarantee you they'd be the mainstay.

I'm looking forward to the BoP as it provides a better alternative to the Praetus with the Plasma Torps ability. It also gives Nukes that can then go on the Valdore and gives them even more edge. And Rom Commander, of course. A level 7 with a better ability than the last one we got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torps of any kind are mostly useless for the Romulans until the GGT comes out. I like plasma torps for their range & punch, but if you're using Tactical Officer you don't need torps.

Cloaked Mines won't be very useful in OP5 with all the OWPs counting as ships. Sure, some of them will be destroyed, but by that point the enemy ships will be within range and make the Cloaked Mine placement options limited.

I much prefer the Vo over the Praetus. The Vo can be really hard to kill and won't destroy itself like the Praetus does.

Vo
Flagship Indy/Klingon(I think), +1 attack/agility/hull, Tech & Talent slot
Donatra
Interphase
Interphase

Or Flagship Indy/Dominion?, +1 attack/agility/hull, Weapon & Talent
Donatra
Interphase
Additional Weapons Array

Both of those Flagships make the Vo something to worry about. Yes, 2 Primary attack isn't much, but combined with Scan it will hurt any uncloaked or non-Sulu'd ship. Additional Weapons Array is slightly better, but the Vo could die easier. And 4 base Agility = 8 defense dice when cloaked, plus the added free Evade token when it's not going to attack.
I actually like the Indy/Klingon Flagship a bit more because it grants an additional +1 attack die to friendly when firing at range 2-3. That makes the IRW Valdore rolling 7 dice at any range. 4 base +1 green move +1 Donatra +1 Flagship OR Range 1.

But definitely go 2 Valdores over Valdore & Khazara. The Valdore & D'Deridex class ships have enough maneuver differences that they can be difficult to keep together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls