Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the last couple of years, I've been GMing the Race tournaments at WBC. We have 4 heats, a semis, and a finals. Last year I made the first 2 games of the heats use base, the next two and the semis Gathering Storm, and the final game use RvI. Since the first two and last two heats are played back to back, it's best if they use the same version. Some players have said that they like getting a mix of the versions in, especially for new players.

This year I am tentatively planning on using base for the first two heats, gathering storm for the last 2 heats, RvI for the semis, and AA for the finals. It seems nice for an RftG tournament to include almost all versions, and this puts the least pressure on players to have many copies of AA (we only need one copy, because there is only one finals match).

What do you guys think? Is AA too new to include in the tournament?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrenaud wrote:
Probably... it's only been out for... a few months? AFAIK, doesn't your typical tourney ideally go for a game/exp to be out at least 6 months to a year before putting it up in tournaments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
rrenaud wrote:
Probably... it's only been out for... a few months? AFAIK, doesn't your typical tourney ideally go for a game/exp to be out at least 6 months to a year before putting it up in tournaments?
I have no idea about WBC, but in card games I'm familiar with it's the opposite: expansions are legal for tournament play immediately, or very shortly after release.

I don't see any reason why AA shouldn't be included. I'd presume that anyone serious enough about RftG to be entering a tournament like this would've picked up the expansion and played it as much as possible by now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tournament will be in August, so it's still 6 months away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, it boggles my mind that the question even needs to be asked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think you should be using Brink of War to atone for its absence in earlier years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems odd that someone could play and qualify, but due to lack of expansions, be kicked out after winning?

Is that how it works?

I would say in regards to AA, it's a different expansion, and the gameplay is completely different than the other expansions for RFTG.

I'd say use brink of war instead of AA if anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainstar wrote:
Personally, I think you should be using Brink of War to atone for its absence in earlier years...
I don't know much about the WBC and what is a desireable setup. With the little info that i have, this is what i would do:

Base - first 2 heats
AA - last 2 heats
RvI - semis
BoW - finals

I think there would be plenty of AA's in attendance to cover the required amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had too look up what WBC was (tired, only think I could think of was White Blood Cells) so I'm really qualified to answer.

I reckon you've got to include AA somewhere. As others have said I'd expect to have had to played lots of formats to be competitive in something like this.

I like Serge's suggestion, it includes all the cards and has the expansions in thematic chronological order which pleases me.

How do heats work? From memory of reading the session report from last time I think everyone plays all 4 heats and has to win a certain number to progress? Wikipedia claims that anyone can have a go without being an expert, if so then having AA in the heats would allow people who'd not played it to have a go (and probably get eliminated) but probably better that than get to the final and lose horribly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People won't get kicked out for not having any copies of the game. It's just the tournament needs enough copies to run as many games that will played simultanously. Since we play 4 player games, this means that we need 1 in 4 players to have a given set in the qualifying rounds. The demands on semis and finals are much less onerous, because the players who advance tend to own the game, and there aren't that many advancers.

TBH, Brink of War got a ton of complaints when it was optional in a prior tournament, perhaps 2011 or 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
rrenaud wrote:
I have no idea about WBC, but in card games I'm familiar with it's the opposite: expansions are legal for tournament play immediately, or very shortly after release.

I don't see any reason why AA shouldn't be included. I'd presume that anyone serious enough about RftG to be entering a tournament like this would've picked up the expansion and played it as much as possible by now.
IIRC, this is what EuroQuest did... they didn't allow a game nor expansion into a tournament right away. They want some set time to allow players to become familiar with it. I'd hate to think the only way to knowledgeably and effectively compete in a tourney is to buy the game ASAP when it came out, and spam plays of it in the 1 or 2 weeks till tourney time. Then again, I was NEVER that competitive anyways.

Rainstar wrote:
Again at EuroQuest, they bumped RftG from the tournaments in favor of 7 Wonders yuk, and they didn't even put it on the Wild Card list of games yukyuk Then you got folks saying it should be that way anyways, as RftG is dead and should be replaced with Eminent Domain yukyukyuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
RftG is dead and should be replaced with Eminent Domain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Then you got folks saying it should be that way anyways, as RftG is dead and should be replaced with Eminent Domain yukyukyuk

People say this?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Then you got folks saying it should be that way anyways, as RftG is dead and should be replaced with Eminent Domain yukyukyuk

People say this?

shake
No joke. Mind you, it's not EVERYONE saying this. Some folks would be happy to play it*. While I've never been to WBC, I understand they're much more about tournaments. At EQ, they only have so many volunteers and manpower to run tourneys and tabulate their results, so I do need to give them credit there that they're managing to run things relatively smoothly given the resources available.

*Except it's not on the Wild card list and they want to play games that add pts to those

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls