Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Barksdale
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I came across a After Patrol Cheat Sheet on the consim games website. It has a designation for KKpt and other high ranks that reads, to my eyes, "If you have a refit of Equal to or greater than 3 months and you have a KKpt or higher rating, subtract one from the number of months that you're refitting". So, in essence, I have a Type VIID that has five months out (seriously, don't attack Capital Ships in 1942--seriously bad for your friggin' health), that actually only has four months to refit because my Kapitan is a KKpt rank.

I CANNOT find any literature on this in the rules or in the variants. Is that right or is it the acid flashback that is getting to me? Because I'm seriously getting mad at not finding this crud out.

PS--Frohlich, Wilhelm, U-36 Kapitan and now U-213 Kapitan, I have 135K plus with him. It's almost 1943. Not too shabby...but seriously Capital Ships suck a hairy bunghole when you attack them late in the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
11.2.1 lists the benefits of each rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barksdale
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
THANK YOU! I knew I'd read that crap somewhere! (PS--did I mention how unbelievably hazardous to your health it is to attack a Capital Ship in 1942? Don't do it if you have crappy Dive Planes either. Don't do it if you have a dead engineer...in fact, there should be a disclaimer that says, don't attack Capital Ships in general after about 1914...they totally suck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but if your refit is 5 months, your boat is declared a constructive total loss and you get a new boat and can head out in two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barksdale
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Wait a minute, now, Brian...that brings up a good question. What happens if you have a boat that has 5 months on it but you have a KKpt or higher rank that can drop it to 4 months? Does it then drop to four or if it hits 5 the month mark, does that mean your boat isn't a total wreck? What I'm saying is, if you have a 3 or higher rank (KKpt), you really only drop the amount of months refitting if it's between 2 and 4 months. It's automatically one month even if you're KKpt Jesus Harold Christ (who I heard was an excellent commander that survived a torpedo depth charging by simply walking on water), and if it's 5 months, it's automatically destroyed like Lindsay Vonn's career and love life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You as Kommandant can try to influence having your U-Boat refit expedited and ready in time (i.e. 4 months instead of 5 months). But if you fail, then you will end up being assigned a new boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rule doesn't kick in until you get three months refit so a two month refit is still a two month refit whatever your rank.

Also, no die roll involved. the reduction is automatic.

You get to choose whether to use the reduction if you have a five month refit.

On a slightly different point, the Type VIIA can't ever have a five week refit due to being sunk if it gets more then six hull hits. So one option is for five weeks, read four weeks gives you a new boat. Otherwise a Type VIIAs can be totally wrecked and you never get redeployed to a better boat which makes little sense as all the Type VIIAs were transferred to training commands between August 1940 and February 1941.

Without this modification KC is the only way out of a Type VIIA which is tough given the short patrols and lack of torpedoes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if your Kommandant is seriously wounded and requires 5 or 6 months to recuperate, he's automatically reasssigned to a newer U-Boat (rule 10.11.4).

And he start with a new "Trained" crew with no special abilities (no "Experte").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good point, I had forgotten that nearly killing your Commander can get you a better boat as I have never had a Commander get seriously wounded and survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls