Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Reagan
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
“You must always build in an alternating
fashion. Either a pirates’ lair and then a
ship, or a ship and then a pirates’ lair.
So, you may not build past another player’s
pirates’ lair or ship, and you may not share a
lair-site or ship-site with another player.”

Does this mean you literally have to alternate what you build? In other words, if I just built a ship, do I have to build a lair next, even if I have places where I could place a ship? I understand that lairs and ships alternate along the path. However, given that each player has a couple of different paths from the start of the game, there would seem to be times when you might want to add, for instance, a ship to one path, and then a ship to another path, before adding a lair anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule that you have to build at first a lair when you have built a ship means the situation on the board which is in Catan Junior different from the normal Catan game where you can build roads behind intersections without building there a settlement. Of course, you can build as many ships as you want, when you build them not adjacent to each other but either at different pirates' lairs or in different directions from one pirates' lair.

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connie Gunderson
United States
Deer Creek Mesa (Littleton)
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mmreagan wrote:
“You must always build in an alternating
fashion. Either a pirates’ lair and then a
ship, or a ship and then a pirates’ lair.
So, you may not build past another player’s
pirates’ lair or ship, and you may not share a
lair-site or ship-site with another player.”

Does this mean you literally have to alternate what you build? In other words, if I just built a ship, do I have to build a lair next, even if I have places where I could place a ship? I understand that lairs and ships alternate along the path. However, given that each player has a couple of different paths from the start of the game, there would seem to be times when you might want to add, for instance, a ship to one path, and then a ship to another path, before adding a lair anywhere.

No, you don't have to build a lair next. If there are places where you can legally place a ship, you may do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls