Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I entered a contest for square shooters dice last year.

http://forums.squareshooters.com/discussion/169/triumph

The game plays well and I really like it. It had tons of views and I thought it might get published. It was a tough contest and I didn't win. Now, should I just accept that and forget the game? Or should I try to redesign the game using different components? The rules state I couldn't publish the game because it uses their patented dice.

Could I change the dice, use colors instead of suits or use different suit designs. If I used the same dice arrangements of numbers and suits, would that violate the patent? I have seen other dice with poker card influence. I don't want to violate any rules or step on any toes. I just want to turn the game into a published game. I like using the right angle triangle cards that I made for this game.

I would love any advice. What would you do? Should I try with a non poker theme? I like the poker theme. Would the company go for it if I wanted to publish and include their dice in each game for a fee, or probably not?

Thanks, Hack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Holz
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can do whatever you like with the rules. You may have to avoid using 'Square Shooters' in the text as it is a registered trademark. Use 'poker deck dice' instead? You'd then be free to sell your game as the rules, player ranking cards, and your triangle cards, and either: instruct players to find their own set of poker hand dice; or include a set of Square Shooter dice which you have purchased.

The patent covers the exact number of dice, and the distribution of the playing cards on the faces on the dice. You can come up with a set of dice which do not infring on any of the claims, and use them in your published game.

Alternatively, how about using a deck of playing cards??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falsedan wrote:
Alternatively, how about using a deck of playing cards??

Thanks. Using something other than dice is an idea. Instead of rolling nine dice, draw 9 cards. Or make custom cards that have 9 numbers on one card. Or make another set of custom poker dice. Maybe triangle dice to go with triangle cards or something. Or use little chips that have all the cards on them, and choose from a bag or cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls