Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the link but there's a huge discussion here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1120869/announced-expansion-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
Thank you for the link but there's a huge discussion here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1120869/announced-expansion-...

Ah!
Yeah, I thought it was strange that there where no post about this.
But then again I just checked news real quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy there's an expansion but.....What?!? The game's only been out for 2 months! I haven't even played the Cthulhu scenario yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
I'm happy there's an expansion but.....What?!? The game's only been out for 2 months! I haven't even played the Cthulhu scenario yet!
It's set for Q2 of this year so that's still another four months most likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crappy cover art. :/

Still, awesome news! I'm happy to see they're bulking up the original AO's mystery decks.

I'm just surprised that they aren't introducing anything really new (yet). I guess this makes sense, and is preferred, but after immersing myself in the GoT and Netrunner cycles, I've come to equate FFG expansions with mechanical tweaks / additions.

Oh, and no Nyarlathotep? And here we felt so proud of our ciphering abilities (allusion to this thread).

Day 1 purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Charleson
Australia
Broadbeach
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Crappy cover art. :/

Shuffle the cards into the base, toss box away - problem solved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
mbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:

This is Fantasy Flight, if they're not making excessive amounts of expansions they're not doing their job right. Look forward to the day when FFG produces nothing but expansions and tries to convince the public they're new base games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just asking about this two days ago on the forum, and voila...

Still... four months away... sigh...

Well, better get back to kicking cthulhu butt again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arutha ConDoin
Belgium
Dilsen - Stokkem
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Oh, and no Nyarlathotep? And here we felt so proud of our ciphering abilities (allusion to this thread).

Nyarlathotep will probably get his own big box expansion, he deserves that. He has alot more theme to work around than Yig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A shame knowing that the game was intentionally shipped "light" with a short amount of cards so they can just charge people more by listing it as an "expansion" for those who wanted to make their game complete. It's sad to see so many sheep loyal to a company who doesn't show any loyalty to them. What's next FFG, a KickStarter 2nd edition? yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
TigerTailz wrote:
A shame knowing that the game was intentionally shipped "light" with a short amount of cards so they can just charge people more by listing it as an "expansion" for those who wanted to make their game complete. It's sad to see so many sheep loyal to a company who doesn't show any loyalty to them. What's next FFG, a KickStarter 2nd edition? yuk

An extremely cynical way to look at it. I would imagine FFG just wanted to keep the price of the base game down to make it affordable to a wider range of people. You're not being forced to buy the expansion, and the base game is still completely playable without it, so if you object to it that much, don't buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
TigerTailz wrote:

An extremely cynical way to look at it. I would imagine FFG just wanted to keep the price of the base game down to make it affordable to a wider range of people. You're not being forced to buy the expansion, and the base game is still completely playable without it, so if you object to it that much, don't buy it.

I'd like to pick up on the last section.

FFG shows a huge amount of Loyalty to me, they keep providing me with extra content to games that I love. Descent, Xwing and now Eldritch and that's only the 3 that I'm into right now.

I know it can come across as a big company making a lot of extra stuff specifically to get more money out of us but I prefer to think that they are showing us loyalty by giving us more content to keep our games interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
But I guess it's different than just buying a complete game. These are two different points here and both valid. Too many expansions can ruin a game or push it to the point that new players are over whelmed by rules, more rules, expansion rules, faqs, expansions and more expansions and... ever rising costs!

Have you checked the price of AH? You'll counter with just buy what you want but the fans have been saying for a while you need it ALL and they wish there was more!!!

A good complete came can stand on it's own for decades with little more than make overs. That's one model. Another is to constantly revise and release expansions.

I'd love EH to have one or two expansions tops and know I have a complete game. Will that be the case, I don't know.

But there is something to be said for both sides here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the criticism really well.

It may well truly be that the Masks expansion was already finalized, but will not to be released until way later.

They're compartmentalizing content to spread it thin over a large volume of expansions.

This reminds me of the release date DLC model some developers utilize for console games

To FFG's credit, this expansion seems to give us quite a lot of bang for our buck- more of everything which is what, we, the fans want.

It's rather sad though if we could learn that Yig was already included in the original release plan, along with the extra content, but has been stubbed to charge extra in the future.

It took them, what, two months to announce an expansion for EH, and a year to announce one for Relic . Makes you think.

It's undoubtedly the first expansion in a whole factory line that will follow.
Much like with Descent 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
It's rather sad though if we could learn that Yig was already included in the original release plan, along with the extra content, but has been stubbed to charge extra in the future.

I'm pretty sure that FFG does have certain things like this lined up upon release of the base game. That's not necessarily a bad thing though; adding things like this to the base would have hiked the price up. So it's about whether you think that's worth it. I think it was worth not being in teh base so that you have the choice of spending the extra or not; it keeps entry point low enough for new players to not be concerned.

magmaxtic wrote:
It took them, what, two months to announce an expansion for EH, and a year to announce one for Relic . Makes you think.

The only thing it makes me think is that EH and the Cthulhu mythos are more popular. If we want to make another comparison I waited 2 years for an expansion to Wiz-War! Wiz-war was just not as popular but I think the fact that they did create an expansion goes to prove that they are doing things for the fans. I was over the moon when I found out there was an expansion for Wiz-war but many others would not have cared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is actually better for many consumers to have it the way they currently do it. This way, someone can see if they like the game by buying it and then they do not waste any money buying expansions if they do not like it.

If they put all that content in the game right away, it would cost quite a bit more (huge coffin boxes), and you may be stuck with a game you don't even like that much, even though you paid a lot for it.

Of course some may say that they should have tried it out first, but not everyone is close to a game store to be able to do that.

I think it works just fine. Also, FFG has not once mentioned anything about kickstarter for anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably right about the price being higher had it been shipped with the extra content.

With that said, if you compare Descent 1st edition, and Descent 2nd edition, the first one wins out hands down in terms of content shipped in the base game: more skills, more monsters, more heroes, etc.

But if I recall correctly, both games have been priced evenly at release.

I just think that there's certain trimming trend at work here.

Still, I really can't complain too much because like any fan I do want that extra content for my favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A summary based on many threads on BBG...

If a game is in print:
* But no new expansions, game is dead will not buy
* But no new expansions, want more expansions don't let the game die
* But keep churning out expansions, money grubbing move by company
* But keep churning out expansions, game is too long and fiddily now
* But keep churning out expansions, game needs a new edition to consolidate
* But keep churning out expansions, gamer is happy wants more expansions

There are parts of the market that will never be happy, especially with expansions. They don't make expansions for those people for the obvious reasons.

Don't get me wrong I feel that many base thematic games feel very light and do not feel complete until the 1st expansion or two. I feel this way about all the Flying Frog and FFG games I own. They always need more cards and/or new mechanics to fix the game play.

Thematic games almost always need expansions to stay fresh. Euros are usually better just with the base box but who the hell wants to be a farmer pushing white wood cubes around calling them sheep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what could explain this recent release model of trimming content is the production costs rising significantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:

I think it works just fine. Also, FFG has not once mentioned anything about kickstarter for anything.

In fact, I believe the CEO said at GenCon last year that they would not use KS, as he regarded it as only for use by entrepreneurs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
TigerTailz wrote:
A shame knowing that the game was intentionally shipped "light" with a short amount of cards so they can just charge people more by listing it as an "expansion" for those who wanted to make their game complete.

In addition to the financial argument that has already been presented, don't forget that playtesting these things takes time. If they put the equivalent of the first year's worth of expansions into the box, say two small box and one big box (at a guess, though anybody who is really committed could look at the patterns for some of FFG's other recent big releases), it would require significantly more playtesting. The game would have taken months longer to come out, which leads to impatient gamers and lost revenue (oops, back to financials).

Of course, even if they did take 6 extra months to playtest everything before shipping out one huge box, the inevitable expansions that would come after that would irritate people just as much. Given that FFG has a business model that they, and apparently many customers, are happy with, it's likely they're making good choices with respect to their products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think that releasing "large box" games like [Descent 1st, Horus Heresy, Twilight Imperium, etc) these days is more likely be a market hindrance both in terms of size and price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some that feel if a game doesn't have regular expansions it's dead. But too many expansions push me away. There are of course exceptions but as a rule I've dropped games because there seems to be a never ending list of expansions to purchase.

I have the original game of Cosmic Encounter. I have a reprint from years ago. There's no way I would buy that game today. To many expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
There are some that feel if a game doesn't have regular expansions it's dead. But too many expansions push me away. There are of course exceptions but as a rule I've dropped games because there seems to be a never ending list of expansions to purchase.

I have the original game of Cosmic Encounter. I have a reprint from years ago. There's no way I would buy that game today. To many expansions.

We're kinda stearing away from EH now but I feel the need to ask. Why is this? I'm genuinely curious why too many expansions pushes you away.

I got Arkham Horror for Christmas despite the huge amount of expansions because I know it's a good game and I enjoyed it. I don't plan on buying expansions unless I feel inclined to add more to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |