United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Took the custom making plunge!

Starting with the missing original X-Man...

Thanks to derare for his templates http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94922/hero-card-templates

Edit 1: Revised all
Edit 2: Revised THE CURE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rimgar
msg tools
mb
Awesome! This is the character I wanted a custom version of the most. Even tried my hand at it once. Nice choice of artwork by the way.

I am a little iffy on the actual card effects however, or at least the cost to effect ratio.

The idea of counterbalancing recruit and attack is a novel approach here.

There is a massive potential for card drawing, but mostly this Beast is far more of a supportive role.

Might be a touch overcomplicated however. Maybe try and reword some of the effects.

Civilized Animal: With this one I see massive balance issues, especially in the early game. 3 recruit for 2? No way. That said, I suppose the intention is for it to become more useless later in the game as the attack cards pile up. Fair point. Personally I would reword this to simply say, "if you play more cards with recruit than attack" instead of forcing them to play their whole hand. (how do you play wounds for example) Possible other alterations come to mind, but they would likely change the intention of the card itself.

Genetic Research: Personally I see this as more of an X-Men trigger, as Tech doesn't really stack, making it difficult to combo with Civilized Animal. This is another very abusable card in the early game with plenty of Shield Agents around. Truthfully this should be at least a 5 cost, and the effect is potent enough to not need the trigger at all (though again, it's nice to combo with the first common.) I'd say either lose the trigger, or more likely, only keep the fitting card, and discard or reshuffle the rest.

Acrobatic Attack: I'll be honest, I just don't get this one. As is, it can't combo with the yellow common, as it needs to be played last. The idea of a card cloning itself is a great concept, but this card just seems to have so much going on. I would change the last sentence to "and draw a card." This takes out an inevitable draw, and sets up a possible massive chain, though for only 2 Attack, it might not always be the best move.

The Cure: I think I get where this is going, but first of all, I don't think all players should be included in this one. I see the intent, an easy purge card to set up chains with the other three. Smart. The bystanders and recruit is icing on the cake, and there's no recruit or attack. I do think that both the draw AND the bystander AND the recruit with the KOs is a bit busy, but all I can truly recommend changing is limiting the effect to the user.

Hope I could be of help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Faciane
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Thanks for the response jynx!

jynx KB wrote:
Civilized Animal: With this one I see massive balance issues, especially in the early game. 3 recruit for 2? No way. That said, I suppose the intention is for it to become more useless later in the game as the attack cards pile up. Fair point. Personally I would reword this to simply say, "if you play more cards with recruit than attack" instead of forcing them to play their whole hand. (how do you play wounds for example) Possible other alterations come to mind, but they would likely change the intention of the card itself.
Yes the intent was for this one to give you a good early game recruit push and then become essentially a SHIELD Agent. The "after playing your hand part" was so you won't just automatically get the benefit by playing all recruit first. Having to play your whole hand to get the +2 is a way to keep this card in check.

You actually can play Wounds. Page 11 says to "play each card in your hand" (which is later contradicted by page 13 "discard any cards in your hand you didn't play this turn")so there may be debate there. But Wounds themselves have abilities that only trigger by playing them.

I do want the wording clear though so I will try to make it more so. Initially the ability was "Discard a card. You get RECRUIT equal to that card's ATTACK". Much more clear and simple. May go back to that. What do you think?

jynx KB wrote:
Genetic Research: Personally I see this as more of an X-Men trigger, as Tech doesn't really stack, making it difficult to combo with Civilized Animal. This is another very abusable card in the early game with plenty of Shield Agents around. Truthfully this should be at least a 5 cost, and the effect is potent enough to not need the trigger at all (though again, it's nice to combo with the first common.) I'd say either lose the trigger, or more likely, only keep the fitting card, and discard or reshuffle the rest.
I think having the Recruit symbol regardless of the number (0) is enough to constitute this being a card with Recruit. Nontheless I think you are right...I will remove the trigger.

jynx KB wrote:
Acrobatic Attack: I'll be honest, I just don't get this one. As is, it can't combo with the yellow common, as it needs to be played last. The idea of a card cloning itself is a great concept, but this card just seems to have so much going on. I would change the last sentence to "and draw a card." This takes out an inevitable draw, and sets up a possible massive chain, though for only 2 Attack, it might not always be the best move.
Civilized Animal does not need to be played last to gain its benefit.

The "discard it and draw 1 card" is so the broken attack chain has potential to get one last strike in. I imagined Beast being all acrobatical and stuff.

jynx KB wrote:
The Cure: I think I get where this is going, but first of all, I don't think all players should be included in this one. I see the intent, an easy purge card to set up chains with the other three. Smart. The bystanders and recruit is icing on the cake, and there's no recruit or attack. I do think that both the draw AND the bystander AND the recruit with the KOs is a bit busy, but all I can truly recommend changing is limiting the effect to the user.
One thing Legendary can use more of is player interaction. I wanted to play to the co-opness of the game while still keeping it competitive. Players can take the help that The Cure brings but that means the player with the vaccine gets the credit (vp). Plus I like how it can play against the schemes and masterminds. New idea! To really make it thematic, any Wounds KO'd can go back to the KO pile. Would be perfect against the Legacy Virus. If I add that I will lose the trigger.

jynx KB wrote:
Hope I could be of help.
Yep. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Faciane
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Revisions made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel his ultimate is a bit underwhelming. That does not seem like an 8 cost card to me. It should be much cheaper so you can get it easier to thin your deck.

Genetic research feels more like his ultimate to me. That card has great potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Faciane
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I feel his ultimate is a bit underwhelming. That does not seem like an 8 cost card to me. It should be much cheaper so you can get it easier to thin your deck.

Genetic research feels more like his ultimate to me. That card has great potential.
Ah...meant to take the cost down when I revised it.

Had the same feeling about Genetic Research but I want to keep them where they are for theme's sake. Will tweak what I have to to make them fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Faciane
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
THE CURE revised...cost 7 and KO up to 3 cards each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Douglas
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beast not making it into the base game or Dark City, while Wolverine got in twice, was just plain silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Faciane
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
zmapenguin wrote:
Beast not making it into the base game or Dark City, while Wolverine got in twice, was just plain silly.
Well the Beast UD makes now may get Wall Crawl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had you checked http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1008827/beast-hero-design beforehand? Lots of Beast talk in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls