Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic» Forums » Rules

Subject: a couple of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
olivier hertout
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
I have been playing this game for a couple of weeks and so far I've had a blast, however there are two issues I'm not sure about:

1) what are the dots for on th Task Force display?
2) what are the "damaged" counters for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avronel wrote:
I have been playing this game for a couple of weeks and so far I've had a blast, however there are two issues I'm not sure about:

1) what are the dots for on th Task Force display?
2) what are the "damaged" counters for?

The dots on the task force display are to show the basic probability of each zone being attacked using the probability curve of what a roll of two standard six sided dice would produce - that is, a 7 is the most likely, followed equally by a 6 or an 8, followed by a 5 or a 9, etc.

Hopefully whenever you roll a "D12" in the game you are rolling two six siders and not the 12 sided die. That's a fairly common mistake for people new to the game. The designer says in the beginning of the rules what the terminology is that he uses for dice rolls. Unfortunately he's not into pen&paper RPGs so doesn't know about the convention of "2d6".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Damaged" markers are used to indicate British ships that have been hit but not destroyed by the Argentine Task Group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
Unfortunately he's not into pen&paper RPGs so doesn't know about the convention of "2d6".

The D12 notation (roll 2D6 and sum the result) is distinct from 2D6 (roll 2D6 and look for success or failure on each die). This notation is consistent throughout the rules. It makes sense to me, but it is still confusing when learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier hertout
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
thanks for the clarification. I did get confused between D12 and 2D6 in my first play but rectified my mistake later.It seems that I have played the game correctly so far, I just didn't think of the probabilities - but now i will!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.