Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Building Query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate F.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
After reading through the rules, playing by myself (sad, I know, but I just got the game yesterday), and watching the two tutorials linked to the site, I still don't understand part of building on top of other rooms. My main point of confusion is about the treasure types. Lets say I start out with an ordinary room card with all four treasure types, then I can build one of the ordinary rooms with two different treasure types on top of that, and then only a room with one or both of the same treasure types on top of that one? Am I getting this right?

Can advanced rooms be built on top of each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that you can build an ordinary room over any other room at your discretion, regardless of treasure type, and you can build an advanced room over any other room (regular or advanced) that it shares at least one treasure type with.

So if you had a regular thief-treasure room you could happily:
- build a regular warrior-treasure room over the top, then
- in a subsequent turn build a warrior-and-mage-treasure advanced room over the top of that, then
- in a subsequent turn build a mage-treasure advanced room over the top of that, then
- in a subsequent turn build a regular cleric-treasure room over the top of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First item in the official FAQ (http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94539/advanced-rues-guide)...

Quote:
Treasure Type Matters, But Only For Advanced Rooms:
You must build an Advanced Room on an ordinary or Advanced Room that matches its treasure type. Room subtype (Trap or Monster) does not need to match. You may build an ordinary Room adjacent to your dungeon entrance (if you have less than five visible Rooms in play) or on top of any other Room. You can always play an ordinary Room over another Room
of any type, regardless of treasure type or room subtype.

It always feels odd to me though being able to play advanced rooms on a different room subtype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate F.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses. What about destroying rooms? If I destroy an ordinary room does an advanced room on top of it get destroyed/discarded as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only destroy the room on top. Plus...

Quote:
Destroyed Rooms Reveal What’s Beneath:
When a Room is destroyed, the Room underneath it is revealed and comes into play. This does not trigger "when you build this Room" effects from the revealed Room. If a Hero is in a Room when it is destroyed, that Hero immediately exits the Room and (if it survives) moves to the next Room. (Damage and abilities of the Room underneath the destroyed Room do not affect the Hero exiting the Room.) If there is no Room underneath the revealed Room, the "hole" created by the destroyed Room immediately closes and any Rooms to the left of the destroyed Room slide to the right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Zypher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:

So if you had a regular thief-treasure room you could happily:
- build a regular warrior-treasure room over the top, then
- in a subsequent turn build a warrior-and-mage-treasure advanced room over the top of that, then
- in a subsequent turn build a mage-treasure advanced room over the top of that, then
- in a subsequent turn build a regular cleric-treasure room over the top of that.

I dunno if the kickstarter box has special advanced rooms, but no advanced rooms in the basic set and the Tools expansion contain more than one treasure symbol.

In short for how things work:
- Basic rooms can be built on top of other rooms, or as an addition to the dungeon.
- Advanced rooms can only be built on top of other rooms of the matching treasure symbol.
- Monster rooms and trap rooms are only necessary in resolving certain boss, spell, room, and item effects that specifically call for one type or another.
- Destroying a room reveals the room card underneath it. This can call for tactical play if you can strategically place your rooms in a way that destroy effects allow you to benefit during the baiting phase.

As a side note, your base game has zero trap rooms for fighters, zero monster rooms for thieves, and no advanced traps for clerics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PolterGhost wrote:

I dunno if the kickstarter box has special advanced rooms, but no advanced rooms in the basic set and the Tools expansion contain more than one treasure symbol.

Don't worry, it was an example about the rules, not an example about what cards may or may not be in the game; I didn't bother to check, since it was the rules which were the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls