Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my entry for the 2014 Two-Player Print-and-Play Contest.

The idea is to create an assymetric game that uses the decktet with its tokens and dice. The game will be based on the different types of cards in the decktet (Persons, Locations and Events) and will use the assymetric dimension of the deck.

One of the player will be the offensive one while his partner will play the defensive.

The game should be short enough so an even number of rounds can be played.

The idea I have so far is that the defensive player use the location cards to lay out a path leading to The Castle. The offensive player will have to buy tokens and lead them through this path in order to attack The Castle.

Files are available and should be considered version "0":
* English rules
* French rules
* Cards
* Tokens and dice stickers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After having tried many mechanics, I've tried something that seems to work well yesterday. I'll post details and pics ASAP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do when you have something that seems to work for the "ingame" but you don't really see how the players will setup and begin the game.

Here is an imaginary ingame situation :

In green are stuff owned by the defensive player :

- The castle needs to be protected (green arrow)
- The defensive camps (green rectangles) are there to protect the castle and try to kill offensive soldiers
- The tokens (green circle) are ressources that will be used to buy new cards (defensive camps) or to upgrade existing ones

In red are stuff owned by the offensive player :

- The tokens (red circle) are "reserve" soldiers that will be sent in the battle later
- The cards in hand (red) are "generals" that will be sent in the battle later
- The cards in play with tokens on them (red rectangle) are generals, each with his soldiers on it, they are face down so the defensive player does not know what general was sent
- The card near the castle (red arrow) is a general that has succeeded in reaching the castle. The goal for the offensive player is to surround the castle with 5 generals (bottom, top, bottom-right, right and top-right of the castle)

In blue is the draw deck and the reserve tokens.

What I imagine to be a game turn :

- every "in play" general advances (left to right) with his soldiers
- if a general reaches the castle, the soldiers on it are discarded and the general is put near castle. If it's the fifth one, offensive player has won
- then every defensive camp can attack a soldier that is adjacent to flip it on his injuried side (or put a wound token on it if you have double sided tokens) OR can capture an already injuried soldier
- if injuried soldiers are still in play, they can be healed

What do you think so far ? Do you have any advice on where to go from there ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the generals/ camps going to have different abilities (based upon their suits)? You could have something whereby players can either put their cards face down meaning they cannot be attacked (until every soldier on them has been removed for the generals), but by playing them face up they are vulnerable to attack but can use their special ability? Otherwise it doesn't seem like there are we many choices or tactics (though that might well be because I missed something...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend looking at Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game if you haven't already drawn inspiration from there. That is a fun light game that has similar mechanics.

I know async is all the rage, but would you be able to insert more good decision points if you had to both defend your castle and attack the other player's castle too? I'm not sure if that would take two decktets though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your replies.

I don't know yet if I'm going to give abilities to the cards, I want to keep it simple if possible, I'll have to check the complexity VS fun factor when I will be more advanced in the design.

About having to play both offensive and defensive in the same game, I don't really like the idea, I'm really going for an assymetric game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, interesting. So the attacking player knows what defenses he or she is facing, but the defending player is dealing with mysterious facedown cards and surprises. That's a reversal of the dynamic in Android: Netrunner, where the attacking player's cards are all faceup but the defender's cards are hidden until the defender is ready to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Android and someone told me to look at it, I see that he's not the only one :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Anne
France
Chelles
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
I spoke to you about the article from Bruno Cathala about what from a good game mecanics we can get a good game. It's about the frustrations in the choice. The fact each time you want to do something, you realise you're missing just one little ressource.

So, when reading this, I'm asking me : were is the choice ? what can be frustrating in it ?

The idea of hidden armies can be a good option. Being protected, an attaquer can progress easily, but as no way to use their abilities.

Maybe, in the defender side can you propose the same kind of choice. Install a protection that is not already revealed. Is it a big one or not ? Bluff your adversary.

Another way of frustration is time. When playing online tower defense, it's the time that is for me the most frustrating. Waiting to get the ressources to bug the required tower before the enemy go too far. Maybe real-time can be an option ?

I don't know. They are some option that came to me. If it can help.

[EDIT]
Oops. And forgot. For Android, attaquer/defense can be hidden, so you don't know if you attack the good server or not. Is it a trick ? Is it too protected ? So, yes, have a look at it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a full game today (with myself) so I now have a version 0 of the rules. They are written in french and are accessible here :

French rules

I'll try to translate them in english quick.

It's fun because during the whole game it felt like there is a real advantage in favor of the attacking player but the finish was really close and the defensive player would have won on the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've translated in english the version 0 of the rules :

English rules

If anyone can give me a quick read and tell me if it's clear enough or if more pictures are needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls