Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dora Emon
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence on this game...

Should people who don't really like wargames (e.g. Risk) even bother w/ this game? The idea of alliances through marriage sounds intriguing but is it still primarily a game where you're trying to conquer and "wipe out" others?

Also, how does this game compare w/ Game of Thrones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Rzepka
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is mainly diplomatic game, where you are winning by having 3 points - it is accesable far before you are near wiping out your opponents and some of them you can have without wars.
But of course there is important war element in this game, so be prepared to at least defend yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1095467/comparison-to-re...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1120580/this-vs-warrior-...

In Fief there's combat and negociation involved. So were the middle ages. If you don't like combat and/or backstabbing, forget.
PS: Risk is not a "wargame" as per the definition, but whatever. [Edit : Could be one, as per another definition.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this was a good discussion about "luck factor," which also presents insights into game play and 'fun factor.'

It is talking about the 2011 version of the game. Uwe's rules will reduce even further being hurt too much by a random event.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14847433#14847433
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Risk is not a "wargame" as per the definition..."

Not to derail but what definition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too late. Any "P.S." is bound to cause confusion.

Dora, if what you don't like about Risk is just tons of rolling die and not very much thinking, Fief is VERY different from that.

Lots of player interaction. Diplomacy. Developing your lands to be productive. And yes, probably building up at least some military force to discourage your neighbors from trying to take over your land (or, possibly, to go shopping for someone else's land that you think you would administer more wisely than they do!).

The Noble Attribute cards will add variety (and some mirth) and the stretch goals and expansions will add a lot of choices and even more variety.

With the variables, no two games will ever be exactly alike, where most games of Risk I ever played were very much alike, except perhaps for some shocking die results.

So if Risk is the measure, this is very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sokadr wrote:
"Risk is not a "wargame" as per the definition..."

Not to derail but what definition?
Well, I guess the definition can be pretty variable indeed . Risk might be a wargame, after all there's war in it, and it's a game... However, there's no wargamer I've encountered (i.e. who play WIF and such) that considered Risk as a wargame. But I guess don't know enough wargamers, so my sample is not relevant... Anyway, I won't dare to tread on other's field of expertise, or start a 10 page-long thread, so please forget about what I wrote above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"However, there's no wargamer I've encountered (i.e. who play WIF and such) that considered Risk as a wargame."

I'd be one of those who would consider Risk a wargame (haven't played WiF but have played similar games and am a long time wargamer).

I've always found it curious Risk isn't considered a 'wargame' by a significant subset of wargamers but have never really had that discussion (would like to tho; I suspect the arguments against are rather weak).

I go with this definition of wargame: An often physical or electronic simulation of a military operation involving two or more forces and using rules, data, and procedures designed to depict an actual or assumed situation.

However, not wishing to hijack the thread and wishing to honor your request, I'll leave this at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dora,
Well, you only have a few minutes left to decide. Life is full of interesting decisions.

What makes this one a little easier is that the free stretch goal level is so high that the "aftermarket" value of this is also going to be very high. Unpunched copies are going to be dear (have you seen what Sails of Glory ships are going for in eBay?) and even a used copy is likely to get you everything back...if it really isn't your cuppa tea.

Though as pretty as this is, I think parting with it will be hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dora Emon
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies all...I am having a very hard time deciding. I backed it last night then unbacked it 30 mins later. I did tell myself that if I got up before the kickstarter ended I would re-back it so I guess I'll be backing it!

I just hope I can find friends that won't get too angry when playing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul cleveland
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato
badge
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. " -Unknown author ?
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I backed this successful KS project. Look forward to playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny B
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Academy is not just a game company with high standards in quality components and gameplay but also have noble goals in regards to education. Their games aim to incorporate Eurogamers into the rich historical flavoring that wargamers are used to. I think Academy does a great job and should be rewarded for their efforts. I know it's too late to back but I would recommend finding a copy as I think this one is a sure winner and Academy has had a fantastic track record thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls