Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a situation yesterday where an Ally gave 1d10 to a skill that wasn't listed on the character card. I don't remember the exact skill names, but the principle should be clear. We checked the rules, and it look like the check defaults to a 1d4. It wasn't very clear, though.

1d10 + 1d4 was better that the alternative, and we went for that interpretation.

But it would be nice to know if you can actually use a skill that's not listed on your card with a 1d4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I understand the rules, what you did is exactly correct and we do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indeed!
when you do not have a skill, but you must use it for a reason, it is always 1d4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manolios wrote:
indeed!
when you do not have a skill, but you must use it for a reason, it is always 1d4.
Yes, well There was no MUST involved here. It was entirely voluntary and there was another option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still allowable by the rules, page 11, 1st column, bottom:
Quote:
Even if your character doesn’t have any of the skills listed for a check, you can still attempt the check
(unless you’re trying to recharge a card; see Recharge on page 16), but your die is a d4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Quote:
Even if your character doesn’t have any of the skills listed for a check, you can still attempt the check
(unless you’re trying to recharge a card; see Recharge on page 16), but your die is a d4.
It says "doesn't have any of". That was not the case. The character did have one or more applicable skills, and just wanted to use another.

I'm looking for a rule saying something like: "You can choose to check against a skill that the character does not have. If you do, use 1d4". That is, if such a rule exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Olesen wrote:
Great Dane wrote:
Quote:
It says "doesn't have any of". That was not the case. The character did have one or more applicable skills, and just wanted to use another.

I'm looking for a rule saying something like: "You can choose to check against a skill that the character does not have. If you do, use 1d4". That is, if such a rule exists.

This line tripped me up too, but i concluded that you could use a specialized skill over a generic skill even if you dont have the specialized skill. Otherwise, cards that boost specialized skills or allow you to automatically succeed at checks with specialized skills are all but useless to anyone that doesnt have that particular skill. i just cannot believe there are that many cards in the box that are only intended for one or two characters to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I've seen Mike say "Everyone has all the skills" meaning you have the d4, it just isn't listed. I'll see if I can dig that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sort of demonstrates it:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q5u7?What-is-a-Melee-combat-che...

The backcover has it worded slightly differently:

Rulebook v3 backcover wrote:
For any other type of check, even if your character doesn’t have any of the skills listed, you can attempt the check using a d4.

It is nitpicky, but on the back cover the "not having a listed skill" is a subordinate clause that doesn't have to be taken as a requirement for using a d4.

I don't think I've ever been in the case where playing card + an unlisted skills d4 would be better than using a listed skill. But I know they exist.

That got me to thinking. I know the Snake is disliked for Lini. But if she took a Weapon card feat and played a Weapon with the Melee trait, she would be making a Melee check and then the Snake would be useful. So anyone taking a weapon card feat later on for Lini might want to think about finding that snake. It could be your revealed ally, letting you play all your other allies. And then when you got your weapon in your hand and make a combat check, you could play the snake.

Not something I've tried, but something that popped into my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valeros performing a Wisdom/Perception with the dog (+d10 to perception) is better of with the unlisted skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, 1d4 + 1d10 is better than am unmodified skill check. Without a Blessing, that is.

And thanks - I'll play with the answer "Yes" to my question in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
Valeros performing a Wisdom/Perception with the dog (+d10 to perception) is better of with the unlisted skill.

Yeah. There are lots of them. I'm just saying that in my personal experience of playing the game, the situation has never arisen for me. I know that it can, I just have not experienced it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, robert has it right, i think. Even kyra (before adding skill feats) is better off rolling a d4 + d10 on a wisdom perception 9 check, assuming noone has a blessing or other modifier handy.

Straight wisdom gives her a 33% chence vs 45% chance.

And yeah, its very common to have a blessing somewhere in the party to swing the odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules are clear :

When blessings add dice to a check, the dice are of the same type that the character is already using for the check.
If recharging a card requires a check and your character doesn’t have any of the skills listed, you cannot attempt to recharge that card.
For any other type of check, even if your character doesn’t have any of the skills listed, you can attempt the check using a d4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls