Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dead investigators rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When lots of investigators get killed during the game, in may happen some players are eliminated.

In this case, what happens to the number of investigators ? Do we consider the number of starting investigators or the current number of them ?

This matters for the threat gained by the keeper as well as life for named monster.

When playing with expansions characters, do you limit the number of investigators for a game to 8 maximum ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Threat gained is based on the number of investigators at the start of the game; it does not go down when investigators die.

Don't bother limiting the number of investigators to 8. That rule isn't really meant to be an additional win condition for the keeper; it's more of a stopgap rule that only exists because, well, something has to happen in the unlikely event that you manage to run out of spare investigators, so there needs to be a rule to cover what that something is.

(I've only ever seen it come up once, and only then because the Silver Tablet scenario is ridiculously broken.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tore Halvorsen
Norway
flag msg tools
For threat, this is the number of investigators at the beginning of the game.

rules, page 10 wrote:
2) Gain Threat Step
During this step, the keeper gains a number of threat tokens equal to the number of investigator players at the start of the game. For example, in a four-player game, the keeper gains three threat (since there are three investigator players and one keeper player).

These tokens are later used to resolve Keeper Action cards and play Mythos cards. The keeper may keep unspent threat tokens at the end of his turn. The keeper gains his full complement of threat tokens during this step, regardless of the number of tokens he already has or the number of eliminated investigators.

I suppose the same rule should be used for extra health of named monsters. The rule book looks more concerned with the number of (initial) players than current investigators.

rules, page 12 wrote:
Some named monsters have more health than what is printed on their monster token (for example: in a four player game a monster that has “+2 health per investigator” would add 6 to its health value). In this situation, players may need to place damage tokens adjacent to the monster figure in addition to in the hook on its base. These damage tokens act as if they were also in the base’s hook.

As for the expansion investigators and component limitations... I just don't know. I would use them (e.g. the total number of investigators are currently 16)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Threat gained is based on the number of investigators at the start of the game; it does not go down when investigators die.
Dammit, I didn't realise this. Played (and lost) as Keeper with the Season of the Witch story - I was only pulling down 3 threat after one investigator perished
Actually that brings to mind another question about what happens to vital 'kit' being carried by killed investigators. Ordinarily, I would say it just stays with the corpse. But what if the cause of death ...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
is being whisked away to some other dimension?

.. have they just blown their chances?

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
It stays where the investigator died.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Note that if an investigator is killed by a Lock card, their items are dropped not in the room with the Lock card but rather in the room they were in when they tried to enter the Locked room, since they died before they could actually enter the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Heber
msg tools
Using this pretty old thread to ask another question lingering in my mind for long...

We played quite a lot of Mansions games, but up until one session of "Lost in Time and Space" from Forbidden Alchemy, never was it much of an issue - INVESTIGATOR SUICIDE by i.e. running into a monster to get killed, or using any other means to get rid of an almost-insane/dead investigator - only to be able to spawn with a "fresh" one. (My guess is, because the story can get quite exhausting for all players, the investigators discarded the thematics after 4hours of playing just to pull it of...)

I think the investigator should be punished for exploiting a mechanic like this, we did it by houseruling (Kepper gains thread when an investigator dies, usually the number of dead investigators to that point), but is there any official rule on this that i/we missed?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
mroehrich wrote:
Using this pretty old thread to ask another question lingering in my mind for long...

We played quite a lot of Mansions games, but up until one session of "Lost in Time and Space" from Forbidden Alchemy, never was it much of an issue - INVESTIGATOR SUICIDE by i.e. running into a monster to get killed, or using any other means to get rid of an almost-insane/dead investigator - only to be able to spawn with a "fresh" one. (My guess is, because the story can get quite exhausting for all players, the investigators discarded the thematics after 4hours of playing just to pull it of...)

I think the investigator should be punished for exploiting a mechanic like this, we did it by houseruling (Kepper gains thread when an investigator dies, usually the number of dead investigators to that point), but is there any official rule on this that i/we missed?

Thanks in advance
The keeper can choose not to attack with a monster during the Monster Attack step, and can choose not to deal damage from a failed Evade test. This can make intentional suicide difficult in some scenarios. (If fire is readily available, suicide is easy because the keeper can't withhold fire damage, so the investigators may freely cast themselves upon a funeral pyre.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls