Subject: Has anyone tried the official 2-player variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from how BSG suffers quite a bit with 3 players, I'm assuming the official 2-player isn't anything to write home about. I am curious if anyone has ever actually tried it, however. What did you think of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilkins
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
My Sea Hag got Sea Hagged... might as well drink my own piss
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also curious whether anyone has played it. I was planning on trying the variant out over the weekend sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it once with my brother. I became a cylon at sleeper phase, and ended up losing. (but resources were quite low at the end)

It's ok, but a 5 player game is far far better.

It's hard for the cylon to win (if there even is one) because both players are definitely human before sleeper phase, and after sleeper phase it'l be quite obvious if you suddenly change your playstyle, and any spiked checks mean they know that you're definitely a cylon because it can't possibly be anyone else, so you get found out pretty quickly.

Theres also a possibility that neither of you become cylons, which would lead to quite a boring climax, and should be an easy win for the humans.

I'd only use the 2 player variant as a teaching mechanism to show a newbie how the game works. after that, hook them into a 5 player game and it's far better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Advice for the 2-player game from my one experience:
Never choose Tigh and Starbuck as the 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first few games were 2-player, for learning purposes. I was surprised at how marvelously tense they still were. Since then, I've played a handful of 3-6 player games. Those are better than 2-player, but I still had great fun playing the 2-player version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fat Tony
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with everyone else here that the two-player rules are great for learning the game, but not much else. My wife and I played that way once, and then moved on and haven't played with fewer than 5 since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
Judging from how BSG suffers quite a bit with 3 players, I'm assuming the official 2-player isn't anything to write home about. I am curious if anyone has ever actually tried it, however. What did you think of it?
I heard 2p game works surprisingly well, although 5p's still where it's at.

I've played quite a few 3p games in my day.... it's certainly interesting in other regards...
-special abilities on your turn get activated much more frequently.
-ditto for such weaknesses too. For example, if Roslin's the only human out of the Brig, she gets more cards, but will be spending much more of them too. Or how Felix only being able to contribute up to 3 with often huge hands is now hindering (which BTW, that's the same limit for Brig contribution in the 2p game)
-one person in the Brig is a big deal, as if it's the human, then the other human's got a precarious situation right there.
-current turn effects are also more pronounced, like the encountering allies with Exodus' IN objective, or Pegasus' Preventative Policy skill card.
-of course, you get ALOT more skill cards, but with only the 3 of you, or 2 vs. the cylon, you need to double time and cover twice as much ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlican Gamer
msg tools
I've played it twice, as a way to learn how the rules work. It's a fine game, though I'd recommend exploring alternate rules for the brig.

Sadly, I have not managed to get it to the table with 5 players, or even 3; everyone balks when they hear it's a 3-hour game. Thus, I can't really compare to the full game.

In the first game, we just played 2-3 jumps to practice with. We did loyalty cards early, and I became a cylon. President Roslin kept playing the card where you play all voting cards openly, so I didn't manage to do much damage. Maybe I should have revealed.

In the second game, we played a full game (essentially), pausing the game just after we dealt out loyalty cards. This time, my conniving cylon of a wife put me in the brig! That game was quite fun except that a president cylon is ridiculously overpowered. The quorum card that puts people in the brig cannot be defended against; you're just automatically and instantly in the brig. Moreover, once you are in, you don't get enough cards to fight your way back out. We played a few rounds like this but it seemed completely hopeless, so I surrendered.

All in all it was quite fun, but I don't think the official brig rules scale well to two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls