Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Suburbia» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First play through with wifey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As we begin with any board game we first choose a Pandora station suited for the game. Rhapsody In Blue first came to mind (which indeed made it very enjoyable to play along with).

I am the one who reads through the rules and insted of explaining them to my wife she learns better through just playing. So I gave her a rundown of the basics and the end goal. Which with this game, it took no time at all.

From looking at all the reviews before buying it is definitely true that the rules are simple, but the strategy provides a lot of depth to the game.

My two goals were to have the fewest yellow tiles and most lakes in town.

The goals for both of us were to have the fewest lakes and fewest grey tiles.

Through out the game I focused on building a lot of businesses (blue tiles) which gave me a huge lead on income every turn.

My wife seemed to be getting more green tiles. Yet she kept making decisions that would not increase her reputation or income. I was trying to help her as I thought she didn't quite understand the objective since she doesn't like taking a look at the rules.

It wasn't until she had to tell me that she couldn't raise her rep that I realized it must be one of her goals, so I relented in further "helping".

We had a great time planning out our city and seeing all the interaction between tiles as well as between each others towns.

At the end I had roughly 10 more population than she did. But then the goals came in to account.

I completed both of mine and we tied for the global objective of having fewest grey so we didn't add population for that one.

Then I find out her two goals were to have the lowest Rep and lowest Income. Which now made her choices throughout the game make since.

After scoring she leapt ahead of my population by about 10.

I just thought it was funny how even though a had a bustling city and tons of money, through my wife's careful planning and small rural town she beat me.

We are very glad to have this game be a part of our ever expanding collection.

Next time I won't be so easy!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but I think at the beginning of the game, you deal out 2 goals per player, but then you each discard one.

But you hit the nail on the head for one of the reasons that I like this game: there is different paths to victory just by targeting your goals with proper planning. Sometimes massive commercial and industrial building is useful, but other times you want to go heavy into civic buildings.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaMike wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think at the beginning of the game, you deal out 2 goals per player, but then you each discard one.

Yep, you only keep one private goal.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaMike wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think at the beginning of the game, you deal out 2 goals per player, but then you each discard one.

You're not wrong. You are supposed to discard one of the goals you get at the beginning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If she managed to beat you while also having the lowest income and lowest reputation tracks (even if you weren't supposed to use both goals), she must have played very well indeed. Having to hit the lowest in something is so restrictive in what you choose to do it barely makes it worth the extra points. Can't imagine trying to do that in two important categories like she did.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, lol. Thanks Mike, Jeffrey, and Dave, I missed that.

Yes Mark, she definitely had me fooled, I thought she just wasn't doing well because she wasn't raising her income and rep. I won't make the same mistake again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
Just got the game tonight and my wife and I played through about 40% of the game. She, like your wife, doesn't like to read the rules but rather get an idea by a simple explanation and playing through the game a bit. We usually play much quicker games, but we made it through 40% or so and she had it down pat and was probably winning. She was ahead on income, population by a little bit, and as we were just running through it was clear she was ahead on goals at that point. She seems to like it so I'll pray for a snow day on Thursday so we can play a full game or two.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Just got the game tonight and my wife and I played through about 40% of the game. She, like your wife, doesn't like to read the rules but rather get an idea by a simple explanation and playing through the game a bit. We usually play much quicker games, but we made it through 40% or so and she had it down pat and was probably winning. She was ahead on income, population by a little bit, and as we were just running through it was clear she was ahead on goals at that point. She seems to like it so I'll pray for a snow day on Thursday so we can play a full game or two.

Once you're experience enough, you can probably have a 2p game in 30 minutes or less.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I am hoping for a snow day as well so I can trap my wife into playing board games with me as well muahaha.

I am still trying to get her to play Lord of the Rings LCG with me. But I would settle for another game of Robinson Crusoe or Suburbia.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
Good luck Shadow!

eunoia wrote:

Once you're experience enough, you can probably have a 2p game in 30 minutes or less.

Others suggested we could comfortably play in 45 minutes after a few games. If we ever get to the 30 minute mark that would just be a bonus.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Good luck Shadow!

eunoia wrote:

Once you're experience enough, you can probably have a 2p game in 30 minutes or less.

Others suggested we could comfortably play in 45 minutes after a few games. If we ever get to the 30 minute mark that would just be a bonus.

I'm an experienced player and a 2p with a friend or my wife can get knocked out in 20 minutes if we're both thinking quickly. But less than 45 is a realistic goal in just a few plays.

(Oh, and the key to winning Miser and Miscreant without torpedoing yourself is to sink your income or reputation at the end of the game.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:

(Oh, and the key to winning Miser and Miscreant without torpedoing yourself is to sink your income or reputation at the end of the game.)

This is quite easy to do by getting key green buildings near the end of the game, or getting a very high reputation then burning through lots of red lines.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
Played three full games with my wife now. Our first two games were rather lopsided, but the third one tonight was only a 10 point difference. We are enjoying it quite a bit. We are getting a little faster since we know the tiles. Perfect weekend game for us.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
Wanted to followup here and note that we've now played 46 times. My wife seems to like it more every time we play. We usually play twice in a row and it generally takes us about 80 minutes with setup and takedown for two games.

It's interesting, in most games when she wins it's by a good number of points (tonight 153 to 117) and when I win it's only by a few points. I think it's because I often decide to forego a public goal if I think I can prosper by taking a different route. I also sometimes plan for tiles in the C stack even knowing they might not be in the stack.

Haven't even mentioned Suburbia Inc to her yet...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Wanted to followup here and note that we've now played 46 times. My wife seems to like it more every time we play. We usually play twice in a row and it generally takes us about 80 minutes with setup and takedown for two games.

Haven't even mentioned Suburbia Inc to her yet...

wow that is impressive, in a few short months, you must have been playing Suburbia twice a week. I wish my wife would play games with me twice a week. I can manage one boardgame a month, and slowly slowly creeping up.

Also, there is the Suburbia 5 stars expansions coming out this summer. This expansion may well be what tips me to getting Suburbia in the first place.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls