9 Posts

Steam» Forums » General

Subject: This or railways of the world 6 player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick L
msg tools
mbmbmb
Will play tomorrow with five friends I would range from beginner to intermediate level. I am thinking about playing base steam on the US steam baron map. Based on the number of posts saying that the downtime is dreadful with six players I am thinking of playing railways of the world instead. What do you guys think? My goal is of course to get the beginners hooked on board gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Kheletar wrote:
Will play tomorrow with five friends I would range from beginner to intermediate level. I am thinking about playing base steam on the US steam baron map. Based on the number of posts saying that the downtime is dreadful with six players I am thinking of playing railways of the world instead. What do you guys think? My goal is of course to get the beginners hooked on board gaming

I have not found down-time in Steam to be a severe issue, even with high player counts, due to the fact that there is a lot to be thinking about or plans to be making during your opponents' turn. That being said, I haven't played Railways of the World.

If your main goal is to get beginners hooked, Ticket to Ride is not a bad option. It worked as a gateway for me, and is a surprising amount of fun despite being very simple. It won't take long to explain, turns are very quick indeed, and is easily "mastered", thus providing an opportunity to introduce a heavier train game later on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
The lenght of the game is the same no matter what the number of players is and there's not a "my turn, your turn" so I don't understand the downtime complain specially since both Steam and Railways of the World are very similar games.

I think Steam would be fine if you use the US Steam Barons map, it seems big so it could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick with base Steasm. The games are very similar but in RotW you'll have to do an auction for turn order every turn, which will slow you down. Also, RotW may drag on if players don't empty cities quickly enough; or, the end may sneak up on people (especially newbies) if they don't pay close enough attention to the city count. Steam's set number of turns may be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for using the US Steam Barons map for regular Steam stipulate two cubes per city & city growth space, but for a friendlier intro game you might want to consider using a number of cubes per city as printed on the board and three cubes per city growth space.

This will mean that the game will not be as tight or tense, but deliveries will surely be plentiful through to the final turn.

Have fun!

-Jordan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C'mon guys 6 people. If each of your 5 opponants took two minutes each that 10 minutes between you turn. Some people would consider thAt downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
C'mon guys 6 people. If each of your 5 opponants took two minutes each that 10 minutes between you turn. Some people would consider thAt downtime.

That wasn't my point. My point was that a game could have even 20-30 minutes of down-time if during that time I could still be involved making interesting observations, decisions, or planning.

Some games with even 20-30 seconds of "downtime" have too much. Like Dutch Blitz, for example. That game really drags if you aren't feverishly slapping cards down on the table because, frankly, there is not much to be thinking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with you and as gamers that how we are. If you are introducing new people they may not have the same mindset. I see it all the time. Wait till there turn, ok so what can I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks a bunch for your input on this, much appreciated! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls