Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,
German board game fan needs your help. My circle of friends loves to play strategic board games and Chaos in the Old World is our absolute favorite right now. But as I often play only with my gilfriend I'm looking for a 2 player alternative similar to Chaos in the Old World. What would be your suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen people mention that Kemet has replaced Chaos in the Old World for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is that you won't be able to find a Chaos substitute for 2 player. The strength of Chaos is in its multiplayer diplomacy. You have 4 people fighting over each other and if one is ahead, the other 3 start smashing him back down. And as far as combat goes, the game is relatively simple with only a few different units and die rolling. So what Chaos really is, is a game that shines with diplomacy and racial differences. You lose it with only 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's what I feared. All games that are often recommended as alternatives seem quite different in some key features. Some seem too simple, some too complex, some are too luck based... I already read hours of reviews about runewars, claustrophobia, horus heresey, conquest of nerath etc. but none seems to be really fitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a substitute or an alternative per se, but perhaps an option that MIGHT scratch some of the itch (area control based conflict with varying powers) is Small World. It plays reasonably well with 2 (although is admittedly a very different game with 2 than with more players).

What are the parts of Chaos in the Old World that you (and your girlfriend) like the most? I don't know that one game will really hit all of the facets covered by it, but there may be good games that hit the key parts of the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuerbis Jacob
Germany
Freising
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey,

as a 2player game I suggest Summoner Wars which is now also distributed by Heidelberger in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, smallworld is indeed a good alternative and currently our second favorite game, but the direct conflict feels a bit weak compared to Chaos in the Old World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine anything simular for just 2.

Actually good 2p are really rare

Android Netrunner
Mage Wars
Tales of Arabian Nights
Blokus
Hive Pocket
Magic
Twilight Struggle
Descent 1 / Road to Legend
Summoner Wars
Chess
Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Kemet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the direct conflict in Small World is totally weak in comparison, that is more toward the area control side of it. If the direct conflict is your main attraction I'd suggest Nexus Ops as a dudes on a map direct conflict game with multiple paths to victory that plays well with two or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok thanks, Kemet and Nexus Ops are definitely on my list now. How different is runewars compared to Chaos in the Old World?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd try Kemet with pseudo random init pyramids over Runewars. RW is a luck driven 4X imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Untestet: Star Fleet Captains
And I didn't like it but Mage Knight gets a lot of Buzz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
And you liking Claustrophobia I have to recommend Descent 1 even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjaru wrote:
How different is runewars compared to Chaos in the Old World?

Runewars is more complicated and longer, and generally a more traditional "build an empire and fight" game whereas Chaos in the Old World is much more abstracted and focused on close-in struggling with your opponents (but not necessarily killing them) than on territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
포크
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure, as I haven't played it yet, but War of the Ring seems to be similar at least in some ways. Area control, asymmetric, different ways to victory, dice combat... maybe it could be your 2-player substitute for CitoW. It is longer though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls