Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beaker psych
Canada
Sudbury
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I am looking to pick up a light wargame/strategy game and am looking at either Kemet or Nexus Ops. BGG has them both rated almost the same so wondering what players of both games tend to prefer and why? Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are very good, but Nexus ops is quicker and lighter. The technology tree of Kemet makes it considerably more complicated, and the card management is more difficult to grasp than dice. I would decide based on your audience. I find that Nexus Ops works very well with casual gamers, while Kemet is more of a 'gamer's game'. You really can't go wrong either way though - both are fantastic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
beakerpsych wrote:
Hi. I am looking to pick up a light wargame/strategy game and am looking at either Kemet or Nexus Ops. BGG has them both rated almost the same so wondering what players of both games tend to prefer and why? Input would be greatly appreciated.

Nexus ops, at least in the glow-in-the-dark version, needs the 2 player variant to work with 2 players. Otherwise invariably one side or the other gets the better resources closer---which decides like 75% of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan's comment is spot on regarding the audience. I prefer Kemet over Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly prefer Nexus Ops, mostly because of the hidden goals that reduce kingmaking. The last turns in Kemet easily degenerate into "how do we stop that guy from winning". Still, both are good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Tedford
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are excellent games, I wouldn't consider either too heavy, but Kemet is more in depth than Nexus Ops.

Nexus has fun secret agenda VPs, and Kemet is a tight game with a very cool Tech tree.

You won't go wrong picking either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls