Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Rivet Wars: Eastern Front» Forums » General

Subject: Barb Wire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you put barb wire in an objective or bunker? For instance the Foreign Entanglement action card.

I can't find any language that says you cannot.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you say, there doesn't seem to be any restrictions on where they can be placed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill corlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does seem a little self defeating though?

Infantry cannot enter because of wire and vehicles who could crush and remove it, cannot enter because of the Objective/Bunker.

It you want to prohibit a square why not use an overlay of a pond/water filled crater or something - saves the wire for elsewhere?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willycorlett wrote:
Does seem a little self defeating though?

Infantry cannot enter because of wire and vehicles who could crush and remove it, cannot enter because of the Objective/Bunker.


Exactly. I couldn't see a way to get rid of it if it is allowed. I guess you could lock one objective down so there is only one to compete for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Ardron
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
I think you would have to disallow it otherwise you could stay in a SO long enough to control it, then place your flag there, follow it with barb wire and its yours for the whole game. Unless putting a flag on a SO makes it not empty, then you could not put the wire there
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Muller
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
You could argue that the grid is occupied by a bunker or objective and so cannot be placed there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willycorlett wrote:
Does seem a little self defeating though?

Infantry cannot enter because of wire and vehicles who could crush and remove it, cannot enter because of the Objective/Bunker.

It you want to prohibit a square why not use an overlay of a pond/water filled crater or something - saves the wire for elsewhere?


No need to save the wire as there is plenty of it and it would mean having to make a pond. Also, one of the cards allows an infantry unit to place wire and I guess this is the reason for the question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nardron wrote:
I think you would have to disallow it otherwise you could stay in a SO long enough to control it, then place your flag there, follow it with barb wire and its yours for the whole game.

Sounds like a fair tactic to me and no worse than other legit moves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
Avatar
mb
Major Mishap wrote:
nardron wrote:
I think you would have to disallow it otherwise you could stay in a SO long enough to control it, then place your flag there, follow it with barb wire and its yours for the whole game.

Sounds like a fair tactic to me and no worse than other legit moves.


Hmm. But I'd like to get a ruling from Ted; this seems a little bit like a rules exploit, and might be against the spirit of the rules? Hopefully he'll pop in and offer his opinion!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Major Mishap wrote:
nardron wrote:
I think you would have to disallow it otherwise you could stay in a SO long enough to control it, then place your flag there, follow it with barb wire and its yours for the whole game.

Sounds like a fair tactic to me and no worse than other legit moves.


Hmm. But I'd like to get a ruling from Ted; this seems a little bit like a rules exploit, and might be against the spirit of the rules? Hopefully he'll pop in and offer his opinion!



+1
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I would not allow this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this discussion elsewhere and it wasn't ruled on by Ted there either. I would say that either:
A) The presence of a SO/bunker makes the grid "non-empty" so that you can't place barb wire there, or
B) Placing barb wire destroys the strategic value of the space, so that even if there was a flag there, it can no longer be used to earn VPs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.