Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: New console time, I guess... Any advice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lego Adventures: The Movie: The Videogame recently came out and no, there's no Wii version. For the last few months there doesn't seem to be any new Wii games. So, the boys (10 and 5) are lobbying for a Wii U.

Thing is, it's still kind of expensive and I don't see a lot of games that would justify it - also, I'm one of the many that are still confused as to the huge controller thing and so on... don't know what I need or why. And, inevitably, that leads me to ask myself whether it would be better to make a turn towards a Playstation 4 or Xbox One.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback on what the best videogame console is right now for small boys.

Additional info:

- This would be pretty much for the boys. I really don't have a lot of time for videogames these days, and when I do I'm a PC guy.

- They're not hardcore gamers. Even at the best of times, they'd use the Wii 6-8 hours per week.

- Not buying a videogame console is definitely on the table, but I get this feeling that I'm somehow depriving them of a basic necesity (yeah, I know, first world problem... then again, you try being the weirdo with no access to a toilet and clean water (apparently, that's how basic my kids' generation consider a videogame console)).

That's pretty much my verbose request for enlightmente. Thanks!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
Wii U is indeed doomed.
So your choices for long-term viability are PS4 and XBONE.
You will get fanboy arguments on both sides, but both should succeed, with possibly an edge to PS4 as it was a bit quicker out of the gate & with less annoying quibbles.

Although at the present time there just aren't a ton of worthwhile games to play for either, so you could probably hold off for holiday season to partake.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't "upgraded" my video system since Super Nintendo. Then the kids moved out. I still don't miss it. We pay board games with the grandkids. It is not a "right" that kids have gam systems, etc. Seems to me (if our family is representative) that most of the time it's the parents who use the kids as an excuse to have a game system.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recognize that Wii U isn't getting as many games as I think it should, but if it fails, unfortunately I have no idea what I'd do for gaming. I have no interest in the other two systems, as they have very few games that look even remotely interesting to me, unfortunately. I'm a sucker for some of my favorite classic series, like Mario and Zelda.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I recognize that Wii U isn't getting as many games as I think it should, but if it fails, unfortunately I have no idea what I'd do for gaming... I'm a sucker for some of my favorite classic series, like Mario and Zelda.

WiiU Virtual Console sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Upgrade from predecessor, or PS4 and/or XB1 just worth it?

[thread=934557][/thread]

Wii U completely written off by American media.

Two more entries in the eighth generation console market.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
I recognize that Wii U isn't getting as many games as I think it should, but if it fails, unfortunately I have no idea what I'd do for gaming... I'm a sucker for some of my favorite classic series, like Mario and Zelda.

WiiU Virtual Console sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for.
Indeed, and I've gotten several games from there (though I still have a lot of games for Wii Virtual Console, too; it has a bigger selection right now).

But even the new Mario and Zelda games are a lot of fun. My kids right now are really enjoying Super Mario 3D World. (And, heck, so am I).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now most of the current gen titles I am interested in are exclusive to the Wii U. Super Mario 3D World, Monster Hunter Ultimate, Pikmin 3... but the Wii U unfortunately is doing very poorly in the marketplace. It looks like outside of first party Nintendo games there won't be much to play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Ever thought about a portable system? They tend to be cheaper and the game you mention specifically is on the current portable systems out there.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Right now most of the current gen titles I am interested in are exclusive to the Wii U. Super Mario 3D World, Monster Hunter Ultimate, Pikmin 3... but the Wii U unfortunately is doing very poorly in the marketplace. It looks like outside of first party Nintendo games there won't be much to play.
Alas, this looks like the case. They shot themselves in the foot over Christmas, as it seems like they had a lot of people buy systems, but then their servers crashed for a few days making a LOT of people unhappy.

However, at least as far as I'm concerned, their first-party games usually tend to be very top-notch and fun, so even if the selection is limited, I'm game for it I'm looking forward to Smash Brothers and a couple Zelda games, and who knows what else

Even if I don't have a ton of games for Wii U right now, I'm more than happy that I made the purchase, I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it and more.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, like I said the WiiU is the only 8th gen console I am interested in. But the sticker price is too high, and I really would want an HDTV to go with it.

I think I will be sticking to retro gaming and my PC for the foreseeable future.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a Wii U, and, frankly, I like it and would prefer to keep it if I had the choice of trading it for a PS4 or XBox One.

The main knock on the Wii U is it is not cutting edge (it really isn't a great or any improvement on the graphics of the PS 3 or XBox 360) and it isn't receiving a great amount of game support. EA has dropped all support for it (which also means that you can get last year's Madden, last years Fifa and Mass Effect 3 for about $14 each on Amazon - plus there is a great batman game that is less than 15) There aren't a ton of third party titles coming. There are some great Nintendo titles and Smash Brother's and Mario Kart are coming. You have the virtual counsel to download games and you can play your Wii games on it.

My favorite aspect is that for most games you can play one player on the game pad without having the TV set to the game. Ie. as my wife is watching the Bachelor on our TV, I can be in the same room playing mario or madden or something else and still be near/talking to her. I can also stream from netflix or amazon on the game pad and have the TV on something else. The game pad adds some things to games, when used with the TV. Some games integrate it better than others. Without the ability to play on the gamepad, I would hardly be able to use the Wii U because of spouse and kids. Think of the gamepad as a controller with a monitor in the center. Most of the time if your using the TV it will have additional information like inventory or stats. At times there is neat game integration like using it to look for clues in games. For additional controllers, your not buying more game pads, you either using your wii remotes/nunchuckes, or the other controller. Just like you did with the wii. All of your wii controllers will port over and you can transfer everything from your wii to your wii u.

The only other negative I see is that it is not great for on-line gaming. There are some first person shooters, there are some out there but I doubt your going to have the same large pool of opponents as other systems. This is not a big deal for me as I have satellite internet so MMOs or any real time game is shot anyways, but that is a problem.

Hope it helps,
Matt
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I agree with the qualms about the Wii U and unfortunately most of the games the boys would be interested in are for that platform. If it was $300 or so I'd probably go for it anyway, but right now it seems just too expensive and so too risky a proposition.

Both Xbox and Playstation seem like solid platforms, the problem is that I just don't see the games. Most of the notorious ones seem to be generic shooters and GTAs. I still don't want the boy exposed to that content (the older one still gets nightmares after an unauthorized foray into The Walking Dead, and the youger one, come on, he's 5).

I guess it's PCs and iPads for the time being... and heck, board games and toys of course.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:
I own a Wii U, and, frankly, I like it and would prefer to keep it if I had the choice of trading it for a PS4 or XBox One.

The main knock on the Wii U is it is not cutting edge (it really isn't a great or any improvement on the graphics of the PS 3 or XBox 360) and it isn't receiving a great amount of game support. EA has dropped all support for it (which also means that you can get last year's Madden, last years Fifa and Mass Effect 3 for about $14 each on Amazon - plus there is a great batman game that is less than 15) There aren't a ton of third party titles coming. There are some great Nintendo titles and Smash Brother's and Mario Kart are coming. You have the virtual counsel to download games and you can play your Wii games on it.

My favorite aspect is that for most games you can play one player on the game pad without having the TV set to the game. Ie. as my wife is watching the Bachelor on our TV, I can be in the same room playing mario or madden or something else and still be near/talking to her. I can also stream from netflix or amazon on the game pad and have the TV on something else. The game pad adds some things to games, when used with the TV. Some games integrate it better than others. Without the ability to play on the gamepad, I would hardly be able to use the Wii U because of spouse and kids. Think of the gamepad as a controller with a monitor in the center. Most of the time if your using the TV it will have additional information like inventory or stats. At times there is neat game integration like using it to look for clues in games. For additional controllers, your not buying more game pads, you either using your wii remotes/nunchuckes, or the other controller. Just like you did with the wii. All of your wii controllers will port over and you can transfer everything from your wii to your wii u.

The only other negative I see is that it is not great for on-line gaming. There are some first person shooters, there are some out there but I doubt your going to have the same large pool of opponents as other systems. This is not a big deal for me as I have satellite internet so MMOs or any real time game is shot anyways, but that is a problem.

Hope it helps,
Matt

Now you've got me doubting again... I don't care about "cutting edge", I just want games that are fun, and your description has made it much clearer to me how the Wii U actually waorks; thanks for that. I guess I'll keep looking for a bargain tough... or hoping the price goes down a little...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr.Baggins wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I agree with the qualms about the Wii U and unfortunately most of the games the boys would be interested in are for that platform. If it was $300 or so I'd probably go for it anyway, but right now it seems just too expensive and so too risky a proposition.
$300 seems to be the going rate around here, but maybe it's different down there What is the price tag on it locally?

(And the $300 also includes a game via download).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my WiiU the day after Christmas and I got it for $299 at Best Buy with the Mario/Luigi game, an additional game (the 2014 version of a Dance game) and a $25 gift card. Deals pop up on these. Remember too, there are two versions the basic (white) and deluxe (black) the only difference is the amount of internal memory, the deluxe comes with a game and it includes a charging stand for the game pad. Nice to have, but not necessary at all. The basic is about $60 cheaper, but I would recommend the deluxe for the additional memory and game. Plus you get a rebate on e-shop purchases but I'm not sure how that works.

Take care,
Matt

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:
Plus you get a rebate on e-shop purchases but I'm not sure how that works.
It's a digital rebate (ie, not actual cash), but when you buy stuff, you get so many "rebate points", and for every 500 rebate points you can get a $5 eShop credit.

I think you go here to do it: https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe

You use your regular Nintendo Network ID.

Basically, you get 1 point for ever $.10 you spend (so a $7.99 game gives you 79 points).

Plus, you can still get Club Nintendo points for other free goodies (they are tracked separately)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 299 here. I was in the same predicament this december. I ended up buying a ps3 for a 100 bucks from gamestop with a one year warranty. It enabled my son to play lego marvel, lego movie, minecraft, and a few other games he wanted to play. But really there aren't a lot of games for the 10yr old crowd that you can't get on wii.
The guys at gamestop said that there is talk of nintendo dropping the controller and selling it without, just to bring the price down. I will jump on that if they do because it just has more games for kids and multiplayers. PS3 has 10 "one player" games for every multiplayer one. The wii is almost all multiplayer, which is how we play!
I figure when my son hits 13 or so he will want a ps4 so we are waiting on that. ps4 will be in it's prime by then.
Gamestop also told me that the 4 is working on a netflix style online gaming thing where you can play ps1-4 games for a monthly flat rate, which would rock.
I think it's sad they didn't make a wii version of those lego games. It forced a lot of people like me (and maybe you) to jump ship.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto on Wii U. I had the feeling the writing was on the wall for it, but as it is, it's simply fun for everyone. If the PS3 and Xbox360 are an indicator of where the PS4 and Xbox 1 are headed, then local multiplayer is not it. Local multiplayer is why I chose the Wii U.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
Ditto on Wii U. I had the feeling the writing was on the wall for it, but as it is, it's simply fun for everyone. If the PS3 and Xbox360 are an indicator of where the PS4 and Xbox 1 are headed, then local multiplayer is not it. Local multiplayer is why I chose the Wii U.

I've never had a problem with local multiplayer on my XBOX 360. The games I'd want to play with friends all have some co-op mode. Not to mention two people can play online on one console/tv.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
Ditto on Wii U. I had the feeling the writing was on the wall for it, but as it is, it's simply fun for everyone. If the PS3 and Xbox360 are an indicator of where the PS4 and Xbox 1 are headed, then local multiplayer is not it. Local multiplayer is why I chose the Wii U.


I read that they realize they need to get back into kids games, but we'll see. PS1 had plenty of kid stuff, 2 had less and 3 is almost nonexistent. Maybe 4 will get some kids titles going. Idoubt it, but maybe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd chime in...I picked up a Wii U Skylanders bundle for $199 at the local best buy... heck of a deal. From what I understand, the 8gb model is the same as the 32 essentially (in that neither has enough storage space, and both work with usb hard drives if you need more)

I hadn't planned on the Wii U at all, but when I saw it at that price, and saw that pikmin 3 was available too, I couldn't resist.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
Avatar
mbmbmb
I didn't want one until you mentioned Pikmin 3.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Nodecam wrote:
Just thought I'd chime in...I picked up a Wii U Skylanders bundle for $199 at the local best buy... heck of a deal. From what I understand, the 8gb model is the same as the 32 essentially (in that neither has enough storage space, and both work with usb hard drives if you need more)

I hadn't planned on the Wii U at all, but when I saw it at that price, and saw that pikmin 3 was available too, I couldn't resist.
Was it really $199? I'm seeing it on Best Buy's website for $299.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
199... I couldn't believe it either.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |