Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How many hours are currently stored on your DVR?
Don't own DVR
0-5
5-10
10-20
20-50
50-100
100+
      145 answers
Poll created by Orangemoose

Don't get me wrong. I love my DVR, or at least the idea behind it. I find myself recording hours and hours of old movies only to delete them within a month or so due to lack of time to watch them. My DVR is like an old friend that hovers around the periphery of my life.

So how do you see your relationship with your DVR?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My DVR (a TiVo) was getting flakey and crashing a lot so I didn't resubscribe when it ran out in November. I can't say I've missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb

When I had one, I used it from time to time. Mostly it was used, as you said, to store movies I'd never watch.

It was handy to catch some shows that I might otherwise miss.

What I do miss is that it had The Blues Brothers on it - which I would watch a lot. I might have to go buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I DVR a few shows I like and watch them by the end of the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No sir I don't have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
When I had a VHS recorder I used to watch network TV and avoid the commercials. Now I just avoid pay TV (cable, satellite, etc.). (I buy/rent DVDs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
When I had a VHS recorder I used to watch network TV and avoid the commercials. Now I just avoid pay TV (cable, satellite, etc.). (I buy/rent DVDs).

I am on a mission to rid ourselves of cable TV. One part of my plan is to keep showing my wife how little we are interested in watching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caysi
United States
Newport
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
"There is an infinite amount of stars in that beautiful mind of yours. Go Explore." -unknown
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly use my DVR to record shows that my husband will not watch with me. He does the same. We are pretty good about clearing out our DVR every couple weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
MWChapel wrote:
I download everything I watch from USENET onto my computer, which I have attached to my TV. I probably have about 50 hours of stuff there now. Arrrh.

For software I use Couch Potato for movies, Sick Beard for TV, Headphones for Music(Which I hardly ever use) and SABnzbd as a usenet server client.

I don't and have never owned a DVR in my life.

I use the same setup as you, CouchPotato, SickBeard and SABnzbd are running on my home server which is on 24/7.

I also run Plex Media Server with PlexConnect so I can watch all my media on my Apple TV...

I have 660GB in TV Shows (at 720p that's about 1GB per hour...) and 284GB in movies of differing quality, about 40 movies total...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Chuck Singer)
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I showed my wife how awesome DVR is and we never looked back. We never watch anything live anymore (except for sports) because the ability to fast forward thru commercials is incredible. If a show (like the Walking Dead) comes on at 9 and we are both free, we still wont watch it until 9:15 so we can skip the commercials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Orangemoose wrote:
chadnorth wrote:

I am on a mission to rid ourselves of cable TV. One part of my plan is to keep showing my wife how little we are interested in watching.

The best internet connection I can get where I live is thru my cable provider. Sadly that means they force a cable TV subscription on you as well.

My TV is hooked up to cable and does both analog and digital but I rarely use it. In fact my cable provider has disconnected my Smart card for digital TV several times already in the past year. When they notice it isn't used for 3 months they do that automatically
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Chuck Singer wrote:
I showed my wife how awesome DVR is and we never looked back. We never watch anything live anymore (except for sports) because the ability to fast forward thru commercials is incredible. If a show (like the Walking Dead) comes on at 9 and we are both free, we still wont watch it until 9:15 so we can skip the commercials.

Since I download my TV shows I don't even have to fast forward thru commercials since they've already been cut out of it!

And since most shows are being aired on Canadian channels at 'the same time', except in different time zones (eg. Newfoundland is 1.5 hours ahead of east coast US time) the shows can already be downloaded before it's aired on the US east coast

And of course I'm not bound by any country, I watch shows from US, Canada, UK, Australia and occasionally New Zealand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me that streaming on demand should completely eliminate the need to record television/movies.

But it probably won't since there are so many competitors in the streaming market. If you want to use streaming for entertainment you need subscriptions with Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime... probably more. Or else you are almost guaranteed to be disappointed with the offerings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently have way more shows on the DVR than I am spending time to watch, but it does make it convenient when I'm in the mood for one.

My friend with a Tivo can tell you what shows he likes, but has no idea what networks they are on, or when they are on. They just appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with streaming, but have an SD tv.
But we have Netflix and even my wife doesn't use it much. She watches more tv on the computer. The biggest consumer of Netflix in our house if my four year old who can find all the cartoons her little heart desires.

I personally have a hard time using Netflix. The system is terribly unfriendly. It takes so much time to try to find content, and after writing in the title 95% of the time Netflix doesn't even have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
MWChapel wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Seems to me that streaming on demand should completely eliminate the need to record television/movies.

But it probably won't since there are so many competitors in the streaming market. If you want to use streaming for entertainment you need subscriptions with Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime... probably more. Or else you are almost guaranteed to be disappointed with the offerings.

The problem I have with streaming is quality. Even from Netflix and Hulu, the bitrate is abysmal, and if you get content in HD, it usually skips and stops based on the quality of your connection.

At least DVR records in quality HD that doesn't pixelate and have intermediate load blackouts.

The bitrate I get for Netflix is good enough for their SuperHD to work most of the time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and kids tape all of their favorite shows/series and watch them that way versus watching live tv. They love it.

I don't watch tv aside from news,weather, occasional sports event so I don't really have a use for it.

If I had it my way I'd get rid of cable, but I don't see that happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to go back to a world without DVR. I've forgotten what it used to be like to have to show up at a particular time to watch a show, or have to trudge through endless commercials.

Every show my wife and I watch and keep up with, we do so through DVR. And we watch what we want, when we want. It's pretty freaking awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my perpetually unwatched content are movies that are there due to mild interest that I may or may not watch depending on how bored I am. TV shows generally get watched with 48 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My DVR contains a ton of recordings that my kids like. Its also nice since my Wife works some evenings so we can make sure we tape the few shows she watches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
mine is 66 percent full of stuff. how does that translate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:

Sanity. Just start clearing it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Most of my perpetually unwatched content are movies that are there due to mild interest that I may or may not watch depending on how bored I am. TV shows generally get watched with 48 hours.
This. Watched and erased.

Mine has a port where you can hook up an external hard drive and archive the shows there. It takes a long time to copy them, though.
So I have a 1TB hard drive sitting behind the TV and I can go get whatever movies and shows I've decide to save. But, truth be told, I haven't gone onto the hard drive for over two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:

Three fortnights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had our cable company replace our old one. We mostly use it to record TV shows for my mom. In the past we used it a lot more, but not so much now. However, we do tend to watch TV in phazes. I quess we are on an off phase. Probably because we are on a playing LOL phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |