14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: How to cut perfect 30mm circles from 2mm grey board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raven Morpheus
msg tools
Hello all

Just wondering, I need to cut some 30mm circular tokens for my homebrew Space Hulk counter set, but I'm a little short of cash and trying to do this on a budget.

I've seen that probably the best way is to use an arc punch.

However I live in the UK and hand tools like that appear to be quite expensive, at least the ones I've found are, a 30mm arc punch would cost me something like £35 ($58/€42) and I can't stretch to that.

I'm also useless when it comes to using a knife or scissors to cut circles - they never end up perfectly round.

So, is there a cheaper effective (and relatively quick) way of punching out 30mm counters?

TIA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no cheaper way that's good. There's faster and more expensive: a die cutter. There's cheaper and maybe-not-so-great, and that's scissors.

If I were you, I'd make square or hex tokens, and cut them with a knife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
could you use plastic ones? I think there are LOTS of plastic counters available all over the place.

Have a look at spielmaterial.de, they do a lot of bits and bobs - oh, in card too.

Maybe you could re-use some from a different game sold cheaply or as spares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Newey
United Kingdom
British, but currently in Vancouver, Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How about this?

It might take a few passes if the card is particularly thick, but should do the job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) Hilka do decent enough arch punches for £6-15. They have a website here:
http://www.hilka.co.uk/home.asp
but I've personally only ordered through their catalogue at a local shop. You'll also want a heavy mallet/hammer and a cheap/old self-healing cutting mat if you want to go that way.

b) Another option which makes really nice game counters is to cut the circles out of laminated printed label paper and then stick them onto wooden or plastic discs

c) I personally wouldn't use a compass, since that necessitates that you have a hole in the middle of your counter where the spike of the compass went. And what you'll find happens a lot of the time is that the force applied sideways on the spike squashes the card slightly and allows the spike to move sideways, meaning you don't get a perfect circle anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moreover:
Raven Morpheus wrote:
I'm also useless when it comes to using a knife or scissors to cut circles - they never end up perfectly round.

I think buying ready-made is what the OP might be best looking at

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Breedveld
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Craigus1980 wrote:
How about this?

It might take a few passes if the card is particularly thick, but should do the job

I own one of those. They work quite well, thick cardboard requires a few passes to cut through. It also leaves a tiny mark in the center of the circle.

My experience is that the cutting goes better if you hold the compass cutter in place and rotate the cardboard underneath it, instead of rotating the compass cutter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
What about using Sticker Paper and a Paper Punch?

Apply the Stickers onto Backgammon Tokens or similar.

I made these and others using the above method:

Letters from Whitechapel - Markers from Hell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Morpheus
msg tools
Thanks

Yes if I have to I'll cut them square, would certainly be the cheapest, quickest and easiest way so far. But I would like round ones if I can make them.

I thought of using ready made counters, like poker chips, but the other day I couldn't find any that were exactly 30mm. They were either larger (40mm in the case of poker chips) or smaller.

I'll take a look at that German site though. Thanks for the link.

As pointed out the compass method is a no go - I had actually considered it but as mentioned it leaves a hole in the middle.

Drawing a blank on Hilka, can't seem to locate a proper arc punch, not any that are as large as 30mm?

Yes I know I'm being picky, I don't want to cut them smaller than 30mm as I'd lose some artwork and larger won't fit on the board tiles.

EDIT - ding, ding, ding, ding, I think we have a winner.

Just seen these - http://www.spielematerial.de/en/discs-with-animals-30x5-mm-c...

They're 30mm diameter which is perfect, 5mm thick which isn't too thick. I already have my counters printed to labels so I can just cut them out with a bit of excess, stick them on the wooden discs and trim the excess label off.

Will cost me £11 for 50 so that's not too expensive. I think I'll use those.

Many thanks for your advice guys. Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Raven Morpheus wrote:
Thanks

Yes if I have to I'll cut them square, would certainly be the cheapest, quickest and easiest way so far. But I would like round ones if I can make them.

I thought of using ready made counters, like poker chips, but the other day I couldn't find any that were exactly 30mm. They were either larger (40mm in the case of poker chips) or smaller.

I'll take a look at that German site though. Thanks for the link.

As pointed out the compass method is a no go - I had actually considered it but as mentioned it leaves a hole in the middle.

Drawing a blank on Hilka, can't seem to locate a proper arc punch, not any that are as large as 30mm?

Yes I know I'm being picky, I don't want to cut them smaller than 30mm as I'd lose some artwork and larger won't fit on the board tiles.

EDIT - ding, ding, ding, ding, I think we have a winner.

Just seen these - http://www.spielematerial.de/en/discs-with-animals-30x5-mm-c...

They're 30mm diameter which is perfect, 5mm thick which isn't too thick. I already have my counters printed to labels so I can just cut them out with a bit of excess, stick them on the wooden discs and trim the excess label off.

Many thanks for your advice guys. Much appreciated.

I'd still go for a paper punch, rather than cut them out. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raven Morpheus wrote:

Oh, I guess that includes shipping? Not so bad then. To make the most of the shipping cost it's well worth having a look through their site for 'interesting things'.

Deck boxes are good value as are their 'bundles' of miscellaneous game pieces/cutouts/whathaveyou.

Shipping is normally quite quick - I can't remember if you always get notification of despatch but I've never had a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Morpheus
msg tools
Yup that includes postage. And the money goes to Unicef, which is great if your into that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually going to suggest printing out to square or hex designs on sticker paper, and then applying to coins ... and as it turns out, the op found something I'd call wooden nickels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sherburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry if I am too late to this but you can get 15x 30mm laser cut from 2mm MDF for £1.20 from Warbases:-
http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&produ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.